Beer, sessions and flute playing

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
groxburgh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Beer, sessions and flute playing

Post by groxburgh »

I've known for quite some time that drinking beer has a bad effect on my flute playing. The reason is that I have a lot of trouble keeping the flute in the optimum place on my lip - the beer acts as a lubricant and the flute keeps sliding around. While this can be minimized by rotating the head inwards and RH section outwards by the optimum amounts it's remained a problem. At the session the other night I was having my usual issues and it was hot so I needed another drink. Having already had enough alcohol I got a ginger beer instead. And my flute playing problems disappeared! Instead of the drink acting as a lubricant it acted more like glue being sweet and sticky. The flute was stuck in place and my playing improved heaps.

Cheers
Graeme
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Beer, sessions and flute playing

Post by plunk111 »

This is SO rife for comments - I just can't get myself to jump in before the sarcasm begins! I will say that beer seems be a lubricant for me as well, but in a good way and from the inside. :)
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
eskin

Post by eskin »

groxburgh wrote:I've known for quite some time that drinking beer has a bad effect on my flute playing. The reason is that I have a lot of trouble keeping the flute in the optimum place on my lip - the beer acts as a lubricant and the flute keeps sliding around. While this can be minimized by rotating the head inwards and RH section outwards by the optimum amounts it's remained a problem. At the session the other night I was having my usual issues and it was hot so I needed another drink. Having already had enough alcohol I got a ginger beer instead. And my flute playing problems disappeared! Instead of the drink acting as a lubricant it acted more like glue being sweet and sticky. The flute was stuck in place and my playing improved heaps.

Cheers
Graeme
Unfortunately, the sugar can really mess up the pads on keyed flutes...
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Are you placing your whole face in the tankard or something? Have you heard of a napkin or shirtsleeve? Maybe you should ask for a straw.

OK, that's all the smart@#$ comments I can think of right now.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I could rattle on endlessly about that sacred triumverate, but I'll restrain myself.

Regarding the "lip-slip" phenomenon, I recently ran into that issue after buying Greenspiderweb's Seery delrin. (Fanatastic flute, by the way. I was too green to know what I had when I owned my first one four years ago). My only complaint about the Seery was that it was hard to keep my lower lip in the right place to consistently find the "sweet spot", due to the slipperyness of the delrin. I cut a small piece of electrical tape and put it on the flute-beard side of the embouchure hole, as a sort of "lip grip". It's nearly invisible, and works like a charm. Now I find I'm able to drink beer until I'm no longer welcome.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
groxburgh

Post by groxburgh »

mutepointe wrote:Are you placing your whole face in the tankard or something?
When you get to be my age you'll be thankful if dribbling is the worst problem you have to deal with. At least I can tell when I'm sitting straight in my chair because then I dribble out both sides of my mouth. :)

Graeme
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

If I recall my readings correctly (becuase I am a teetotaller I dont know this from experience) beer stimulates the saliva. Is this right?

I know from my experience in herbalism that sage reduces it but I warn readers that my post here does not carry the authority of MEDICAL ADVICE (in a bid not to have my post deleted) .......
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Correct. You should drink beer when playing the flute.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

talasiga wrote:If I recall my readings correctly (becuase I am a teetotaller I dont know this from experience) beer stimulates the saliva. Is this right?

I know from my experience in herbalism that sage reduces it but I warn readers that my post here does not carry the authority of MEDICAL ADVICE (in a bid not to have my post deleted) .......
Wow, first Talasiga makes a witty comment, and now a sage one...... :lol: :thumbsup: :wink:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

Yes, the beer drinking at sessions gives me the lip slips and the dribble drabs, too. But the other night at a session, after the first beer, I then decided to try the holiday drink special of the night, Egg-Nog Latte! Well the results of drinking this foamy delight, then playing the flute, are just a little too "frothy" to repeat here... :wink:
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Skinty

Post by Skinty »

Maybe you should try drinking whisky? (or whiskey if you want your ITM to be authentic)
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

A small patch of double sided tape should address all of your concerns. Please remember to leave a slight opening to the side of your embouchure for the addition of a straw, as you will no doubt be needing this for the additional consumption of your beverage.
Arbo
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

talasiga wrote:If I recall my readings correctly (becuase I am a teetotaller I dont know this from experience) beer stimulates the saliva. Is this right?
Not so's I'd notice. For me the dealbreaker is vinegary stuff, like buffalo wings when they're the basic kind made with Tabasco sauce. My mouth is watering just thinking about it, and, as a fluteplayer, not in a good way.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

I guess this would be under the heading of Beer Acoustics. The other week at a session just as I took a big swig of Guinness everyone launched into one of my favorites. Not to be left out I joined right in and partway through the tune I felt the CO2 pressure rising. Without stopping my playing I allowed nature to take its course and let her rip right into the flute. Immediately the tone got very flat (unlike the beer) until the Guinness fumes dissipated and all was right in the acoustical world again. I wonder if light beer would burp sharp?

Clark
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I wonder if light beer would burp sharp?
Hysterical! It's kinda funny that I looked around the room during our last session (Monday) and said I was the only one in the room that couldn't burp while playing (the others were on fiddle, box, guitar, and bodhran).
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV