Clues that people don't like your playing

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kirk B
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Clues that people don't like your playing

Post by Kirk B »

I just had a good laugh. I have a 9 year old son who has Autism. In the last couple of years he's become sensitive to loud noises. He usually doesn't complain when I practice though. Well today I guess he'd had enough. I'd been practicing for a good while while watching the football game and as I was standing there I could see him coming up to me on the periphery. Since he's mostly non-verbal he finds other ways to communicate. He proceeded to stick his finger right in the butt end of the flute. I looked over and he was standing there like he had his finger in the Dike trying to hold back the flood. The only thing that would have made it any funnier was if I had been playing a low D at the time.

I love that kid! He stands up for what he believes in. :)

Cheers,

Kirk
Hup
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Clues that people don't like your playing

Post by Hup »

My wife opens the door and puts a glass of wine on my desk.
Usually not so subtle as that though.
Skinty

Post by Skinty »

The neighbour slammed her front door early in the morning waking me up when going off to work. I'm worried that I might have lost track of time the previous night and might have been heard through the walls.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

[curmudgeon mode]The people who really need clues never notice them.[/curmudgeon mode]
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

i have a friend, Max, who is autistic, but i haven't tried playing flute for him yet. :) he's also really funny; he loves to grab a microphone and starting talking into it. i have this feeling that what he's trying to tell me might be really profound, if i could understand it.

i get asked to go outside a lot from my partner, who tells me she's too "stressed out" to deal with listening to flute music. i play when i'm stressed out; it relaxes me, i wonder why it doesn't work the same way for her. :)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

I usually don't play when my wife is home. It's just easier that way! :D

TRUE STORY!

When I got my first Burns Rudall, I couldn't wait to try it. So being considerate, I went down into the basement to try it out. When I returned topside, I asked my wife what she thought. Her reply "Oh, it was wonderful! I didn't hear it a bit!" :swear:
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
Kirk B

Post by Kirk B »

Sillydill wrote:I usually don't play when my wife is home. It's just easier that way! :D

TRUE STORY!

When I got my first Burns Rudall, I couldn't wait to try it. So being considerate, I went down into the basement to try it out. When I returned topside, I asked my wife what she thought. Her reply "Oh, it was wonderful! I didn't hear it a bit!" :swear:

I'm all too familiar with the basement as well. And the adjoining garage for even more buffering. :)
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Man that reminded me of a funny story about the unicorn song.

A guy I listened to got so angry with a crowd for being lowd drunk and inattentive that when they requested it that he said “you want the F’n Unicorn song! I’ll give you the F’n Unicorn song!… …"A long F’n time ago, In a place far F’n away, their were more F'n unicorns …”

It is even more requested then. With the swearing though out it. It usually a joke right before the part where the unicorns dieing.
“…and this the sad part of the story, it is as sad as…" and he would always find a recent news item to make fun of.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Kirk B

Post by Kirk B »

"...but only after all of us have grown old and died off." :lol:
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

This thread makes me feel much, much better. I, too, find practicing for long periods of time relaxing yet my wife feel quite the opposite.

Our prior cat loved my flute and whistle playing, but the new cat just looks terrified and goes and hides.

The fish, though, seem oblivious...

Eric
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Jayhawk wrote:This thread makes me feel much, much better. I, too, find practicing for long periods of time relaxing yet my wife feel quite the opposite.

Our prior cat loved my flute and whistle playing, but the new cat just looks terrified and goes and hides.

The fish, though, seem oblivious...

Eric
They're too busy practising their scales.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I just groaned out loud.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Are you in pain?

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

No, I groan because it's dramatic and that makes me feel like a diva. YES, I'm in PAIN.

Ow. Ow.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician