Don't Hit Me - but...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Don't Hit Me - but...

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Just asking for opinions or comments, subject "Non-whistle fipple flutes"

OK, so its recorders :o

Back in my early WhOA days, I wasn't always all that selective in my purchasing, IOW, I'd buy anything with a fipple if the ebay price seemed right.

What makes it REALLY dumb was that I don't like recorder fingering and never really had much use for them once I'd gotten them.

As a result, I have a pretty fair little collection of things like old recorders (including one in Bakelite), school flutes like Angel Recorders, Melody Flutes and a "Fitchhorn Song Flute", a couple of ocarinas and similar things.

What do you guys think - any point to trying to sell this stuff or should I start giving my numerous nephews and nieces very annoyng Christmas gifts?
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
beor uaine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Don't Hit Me - but...

Post by beor uaine »

Chuck_Clark wrote: What do you guys think - any point to trying to sell this stuff or should I start giving my numerous nephews and nieces very annoyng Christmas gifts?
I couldn't give my two Angel recorders (a soprano and an alto) away to save my life. Glad I'm not dying or anything. :P I suppose I could try the Christmas gift route...but I'm terrified they'd be regifted to me! Let me know if it works for you, and if it goes well, I'll have an entire year to decide who to stick with them this time next year! :D
Rath Dé ort!
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

I also have such a collection and they are in drawers and shelves and other places except on Christmas lists or my will. The kids will just have to fight over who gets to throw them away or hide them in a box for yard salers to "discover".
Reverse WhOA is a difficult disease to treat.
Mack
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

I had three fairly good quality recorders (treble, alto & tenor) which I kept going back to, just to remind myself how unpleasant they sound. I gave them to a charity shop (I think you call them thrift stores?). Not very charitable, I know...
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Chuck_Clark wrote:I have a pretty fair little collection of things like old recorders (including one in Bakelite), school flutes like Angel Recorders, Melody Flutes and a "Fitchhorn Song Flute", a couple of ocarinas and similar things.

What do you guys think - any point to trying to sell this stuff or should I start giving my numerous nephews and nieces very annoyng Christmas gifts?
I think some of us are curious about most anything musical. I have amassed a collection of odds and ends over the years myself. They mostly gather dust nowadays although a couple have seen playing time on stages as a novelty. The value of most of these things to others is nil. I see groups of such instruments (cane tourist whistles, flut-o-phones, cheap plastic recorders, etc.) on eBay all the time and they do sell for low prices. Occasionally such a cache will include one or more identifiable instruments such as an old Gen, Feadog or even a Hohner whistle. A skilled eye can spot a deal. If clearing the clutter is your goal, eBay might be an outlet but it takes some effort to list the items, write descriptions, take pictures and , hopefully, ship them out in the end. Kids like your nieces and nephews on the other hand may be curious and receptive to an instrument of any type with little to no effort on your part to pass them along. You might consider ear plugs for their parents.

You mention a bakelite recorder, Chuck. If that is a Dolmetsch recorder it may have some value to certain recorder players. I have spoken with a few players that really like those old Dolmetsch bakelite recorders. They would rather play the bakelite recorder outdoors or in nasty weather rather than their prized exotic wood recorders since they still look like a wooden instrument. Some of these players seem to prefer the Dolmetsch over many of the plastic models available today including the Aulos and Yamahas. I'm not sure why but individuals like what they like.

Feadoggie
Last edited by Feadoggie on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

I may have missed something somewhere, but to my untrained ear, my descant recorders, (Dolmetsch, Yamaha and Moek "Tuju", all with baroque/english fingering) play just like a six-hole whistle if I keep the thumb-hole closed.

Ignore the RH4 (pinky) hole, keep the thumb-hole closed and try it. It'll still sound like a recorder, but for some music that's no bad thing.

Yes, I know the published fingering charts show differing placements, but try it anyway ... unless you critically hold F# or C for a long time you'll probably not notice the difference ;-)

NOTE : this won't work with German fingering, the F-hole is too small (but you can drill it out ... I've done it on a cheapo no-name plastic instrument)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Flavius
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flavius »

Kypfer wrote:(...) to my untrained ear, my descant recorders, (Dolmetsch, Yamaha and Moek "Tuju", all with baroque/english fingering) play just like a six-hole whistle if I keep the thumb-hole closed.
Well, they shouldn't, so could you please give us their address, so we can send the Baroque Police their way? :wink:
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

Well, they shouldn't,
... to my mind, it's difficult to see how they can't but play like a whistle, there's only two notes that are (supposedly) fingered differently in the D major scale, the F# and the C# ... using the whistle fingering on the recorder produces an F# that's only 5Hz lower than the F# on my Clarke original, the recorder with "all fingers off" (except the thumb) is actually closer to C# than the Clarke whistle !

This isn't to say that the recorder isn't even better in tune if one uses "proper" recorder fingering, but it does go to show that using whistle-fingering on a baroque recorder is as valid as necessary in a "whistle context", for want of a better term.

Just an idea if anyone wants to try out a recorder, but is fazed by the concept of learning a "foreign" fingering pattern ... don't be :) ... if you're happy enough with the eccentricities of the tuning on a Clarke "original", you'll not notice the differences when playing a baroque recorder. Obviously, if you're naturally "pitch perfect", this will sound like a total anathema, but then your whistle probably cost a lot more than my Clarke ... or my second-hand Tuju for that matter :wink:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Flavius wrote:
Kypfer wrote:(...) to my untrained ear, my descant recorders, (Dolmetsch, Yamaha and Moek "Tuju", all with baroque/english fingering) play just like a six-hole whistle if I keep the thumb-hole closed.
Well, they shouldn't, so could you please give us their address, so we can send the Baroque Police their way? :wink:
Officer Guru, at your service. :lol:

On most baroque recorders (soprano) I've tried, F# xxxxoo will be a quarter tone or so flat, and needs to be breath-pushed up. The 2nd D x|xxxxxx will tend to a Q-tone sharp; you can pull the foot joint out a bit, but that exacerbates the F# problem. On some recorders you always need to crack open the thumb for a decent tone in the 2nd octave. Other small annoyances include oxxooo as B instead of C-nat, high xxoxxo as B instead of g#. So yes, it's doable, but ...

I guess my current feeling is that if you're going to play ITM on recorder, you might as well play it as a recorder and work out how to adapt the tunes and ornamentation to the native fingering.
Feadoggie wrote:If that is a Dolmetsch recorder it may have some value to certain recorder players. I have spoken with a few players that really like those old Dolmetsch bakelite recorders.
I still have my Dolmetsch bakelite soprano that I bought as my first recorder around 1967 for $6 IIRC. Yes, it's a sweet instrument, easy to speak, good intonation, and the narrow profile is comfortable to hold. I'd say something like the plastic Yamaha Rottenburgh fills the same niche nicely nowadays in terms of tone, playability, and value.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Kypfer

Post by Kypfer »

I guess my current feeling is that if you're going to play ITM on recorder, you might as well play it as a recorder and work out how to adapt the tunes and ornamentation to the native fingering.
I agree entirely ... I was simply trying to point out that if one had access to a baroque recorder and just wanted to try it out, using "normal" whistle fingering wasn't too far off-tune ... sorry if I appeared to over-state my case :oops:

FWIW, the transcription I've got of "The Star of The County Down" in a key of "one sharp" includes neither C# or F#, so is an excellent choice as a "pick up and play" tune on either instrument :D
Flavius

Post by Flavius »

MTGuru wrote: Officer Guru, at your service. :lol:
Quick, officer, they ran that way :thumbsup:
MTGuru wrote: I guess my current feeling is that if you're going to play ITM on recorder, you might as well play it as a recorder and work out how to adapt the tunes and ornamentation to the native fingering.
I've been so dying for an opportunity to drop this example in the Whistle Forum and get away with it :lol:

[Edit - To clarify: this is not an example of I/STM: this is an arrangement of a well-known Gow tune, by a classically-trained musician, played by an ensemble specializing in Early Music.]
Last edited by Flavius on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Kypfer wrote:I agree entirely ... I was simply trying to point out that if one had access to a baroque recorder and just wanted to try it out, using "normal" whistle fingering wasn't too far off-tune ... sorry if I appeared to over-state my case
Oh, no apologies needed, Kypfer. In fact, I think that experimenting with what you described is a good thing. It's a great way to understand the subtle differences between the two instruments.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
walrii

Post by walrii »

I've been so dying for an opportunity to drop this example in the Whistle Forum and get away with it :lol:
Wow, great tune. I'm guessing the instrument she's playing is a "Fipple Flute That Shall Not Be Named" but what kind is it?
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Flavius

Post by Flavius »

walrii wrote:Wow, great tune. I'm guessing the instrument she's playing is a "Fipple Flute That Shall Not Be Named" but what kind is it?
Glad you liked it. it is, indeed, one of those instruments you hint to, in their wide-bore form (see a recent thread at the Folk/World winds forum for more info). Sadly, I have no further details into this specific instrument (other than "I so want one"). It belongs to a species that look gorgeous, sound wonderful and are expensive.

Besides for playing Renaissance music, many feel the way they sound lends itself well to playing Trad. It seems that the repertoires of O'Carolan and Gow are sort of the common ground where Early Music and I/STM can meet and have some fun ("Ye Olde Feffione, meade ferved").
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Flavius wrote: I've been so dying for an opportunity to drop this example in the Whistle Forum and get away with it :lol:
Did anyone else find the phrasing odd in this version of Neil Gow's Lament? It seemed to me that, in several places, she took breaths in the middle of what seem to me to be the natural phrases.

This tune is lovely on an A whistle in the key of D. I have a Burke composite A that has a flutey sort of voice I particularly like for slow airs, and Neil Gow's Lament is my favorite tune to play on it. (So maybe I'm the one with odd phrasing on this tune, and the version on the video just sounded odd to me because I know the tune so well and it isn't how I play it. I admit that I am very much a creature of habit.)
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam