Freeman Generation - Brass vs. Nickel?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistlin' Will
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Freeman Generation - Brass vs. Nickel?

Post by Whistlin' Will »

Is there any difference in sound between a Jerry Freeman Tweaked Generation Brass whistle vs. a Jerry Freeman Tweaked Nickel whistle in the same key? If so, what's the difference? Also, is one louder than the other?
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Freeman Generation - Brass vs. Nickel?

Post by ecohawk »

I have them in both materials in both D and Bb. The nickel one sounds shinier and the brass one sounds redder. :poke:

No seriously, I can't tell any difference between them. The brass ones are a little easier to hold on to for a beginner, because the nickel can be a little slippery, if that helps. I carry the nickel ones with me, alternating between D or Bb depending on my mood. Why, you may ask? I just like the way they look. I play them all. Pick the one you like. The differences are insignificant once you learn to play.

Buy them both. Jerry is a great guy and needs our support. Get a D in brass and a Bb in nickel. And don't forget Jerry's new A. It's a great start down the path to low whistles.

Michael
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

I prefer feel of brass Gens. To me, nickel Gens feel slippery.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

i love my freeman whistles, but did not like my Bb in nickel. too much chiff (airy) for me. the D and A's i have in brass are not that way.
of course, that was the only nickel one i had, i didn't have the luxury to try 10 or whatever, but that's my experience.
brass does patina for that "played" look fairly fast, so if looks matter, keep that in mind. the nickel seems to scratch easier though.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
mickey66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Some say the Nickel feel slippery.....this is correct but I like that because it makes them easy to play but I like the sound of the Brass(warm) more so than Nickel(bright) but I'm spliting hairs here. I buy both! I have not gotten a bad whistle from Jerry Freeman! I have them in D,G,F,Bb,A,C etc. Nickel and Brass. :D His latest Brass A whistle is really something. Have Fun, Mickey,

http://www.tuxedomusic.com
Raggle Taggle

Post by Raggle Taggle »

Strategically placed pieces of matte Scotch Tape will kill the slipperiness of a nickel whistle.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

OK - you guys are killing me!!!!! Are you serious? "Slipperiness of nickel whistles"? I can't take it anymore....Arrrrgggghhhh....I mean does it like fall out from your fingers whilst playing? Do your fingers turn blue from grasping it so tightly? I apologize...a bad moment there. I have both the nickel and brass gens and they're all fine; comes down to do you prefer red or blue plastic fipples...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

I like red better than blue,
How about you?
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

PhilO wrote:OK - you guys are killing me!!!!! Are you serious? "Slipperiness of nickel whistles"? I can't take it anymore....Arrrrgggghhhh....I mean does it like fall out from your fingers whilst playing?
Philo
To me, it does feel more likely to slip. It makes me think about holding rather than just playing. No blue fingers though, just more thinking :)
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

The trick is to play those nickles until you wear off the plating under your thumb.

:thumbsup:
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nickel can feel slippery if your hands are dry. Just "huff" a little moisture onto your fingertips before you pick it up, or moisturize your hands before you play, and problem solved. Also, what Aanvil said. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Scotch tape on the fingers works for me too. Alternatively try rubbing your fingers in your hair before playing to generate static electricity, which will hold the whistle in place, although you might generate the odd spark.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

hoopy mike wrote:Scotch tape on the fingers works for me too. Alternatively try rubbing your fingers in your hair before playing to generate static electricity, which will hold the whistle in place, although you might generate the odd spark.
If you have oily hair that would really slick up the ole whistle too.

www.tuxedomusic.com