How my day is going:

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: How my day is going:

Post by I.D.10-t »

One thing that I dislike is when people brush off just enough snow from their own vehicle windows to see and then get onto the highway creating a small blizzard for those behind them. Getting groceries should be entertaining.

Metrodome collapses. Watch the video!
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news ... ec-12-2010
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

I.D.10-t wrote:Image

One thing that I dislike is when people brush off just enough snow from their own vehicle windows to see and then get onto the highway creating a small blizzard for those behind them. Getting groceries should be entertaining.

Metrodome collapses. Watch the video!
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news ... ec-12-2010
I'm for stiff fines for driving with snow accumulation on top of vehicles. Last Dec. 20th we drove through DC on our way home to Wisconsin, they had 20" the day before. A large one ton van passed us with the classic scooped out front of about 18" of snow on top of the vehicle, he got about five cars in front of us when the whole mass lifted up and clobbered the cars behind it. All of west I495 near Tysons Corner, VA came to dead, screeching, car smashing stop. We were lucky, we could pick our way out of the mess quickly as we were near the source but there were multiple collisions in every lane. The far right lane wasn't even open as that's where they plowed up all the snow from the other lanes.

The Metrodome collapse is just pure luck for the Vikings I guess, I wonder when Brett's going to retire next?
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I never realized the snow accumulation thing on top of a car was so dangerous. I've always enjoyed doing that. I'll stop.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

'Round here it's against the law. Of course enforcement is not strict be you semi or Volvo, but hey, it's all probable cause in any case. If you're gonna drive besnowed, don't be more of a putz than you already are and ditch the bong already.
dwest wrote:The Metrodome collapse is just pure luck for the Vikings I guess, I wonder when Brett's going to retire next?
It's an omen aspiring to Homeric proportions.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:talk to that scorpion sunning itself on yer wall or something.
It's a lizard, Nano. Uta stansburiana elegans. Definitely not a scorpion. Geez, Nano, I think that imaginary snow stuff has made you loopy.

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Here's a little greeting card I just made:

Inside it reads, "Wish you were here."

:twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

mutepointe wrote:I never realized the snow accumulation thing on top of a car was so dangerous. I've always enjoyed doing that. I'll stop.
I suspect even a light snow could weight close to 6-7lbs/cubic foot, a typical snow in the eastern US is probably twice that and a good wet snow is more than a few pounds more. When that comes off in a chunk and hits a car traveling 55mph it can be bad news. The van that caused the chaos on our trip continued on his merry way completely unconcerned. If I had caught up to him I would have called his number in to the state police. He and his insurer could have been held liable for a portion of those accidents. The driver was probably some GEICO Gecko from sunny California.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Hmm. Yeah, almost Homeric.
MTGuru wrote:Geez, Nano, I think that imaginary snow stuff has made you loopy.
Is that what you guys call it these days? Can't beat SoCal for sheer coolth when it comes to naming yer entertainments. But nah, I gave that up years ago, and am pleased to assure you that I come by my loopiness naturally.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest

Post by dwest »

"Logic is like the sword--those who appeal to it shall perish by it." - Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)

"Then may I wield illogic, for I wish to die of poetry." - Nano

Poets die young, even actors live longer, who would have thunk it. I'm going publish after I die thus avoiding the curse.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Confession:

Two days ago I saw a vehicle spinning its wheels in the snow. My first thought was to stop and push, but I didn't stay. I really don't think I could have done much to dislodge the semi-truck. I still feel a bit of guilt passing that 18 wheeler.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
dwest

Post by dwest »

It was snowy and slightly disastrous here yesterday. Everything was already frozen so the very first flake of the storm stuck to the roads. People here don't get enough experience driving in this stuff to know how to handle it. Everything shut down by noon. The wife and I got home about the same time so we used the rest of the day wisely and had a snowball fight, she drew first blood, we made a snowman, dwarf pomegranates for eyes and a nose, and made snow angels. Then I set the tree up inside. While I was doing that the UPS and FedEx guys showed up with packages. My wife opened them, one was from one of my uncles. It contained a foam box with some seafood and ice. My wife removed the seafood and I grabbed the ice that was wrapped in a nondescript plastic grocery type bag. Just one problem it was about -109°F ice and I grabbed it with my left hand which is my primary hand. It stuck to my palm and fingers, just in the few seconds it took to get to the sink it burned my hand. I have a blister on my thumb, index finger, and middle finger. On the bright side once the ice was in the sink we made fog flow out of the top of the sink and on to the floor of the kitchen, would have been neater if it had been Halloween.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

You have pomegranates - dwarf pomegranates, no less - to just throw around willy-nilly? Where are you again? Tel Aviv?
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

dwest wrote:and I grabbed the ice that was wrapped in a nondescript plastic grocery type bag. Just one problem it was about -109°F ice and I grabbed it with my left hand which is my primary hand. It stuck to my palm and fingers, just in the few seconds it took to get to the sink it burned my hand. I have a blister on my thumb, index finger, and middle finger.
I am not so geographically impaired to attempt to grab dry ice with my bare hand so I wonder if it's correct to say your hand was burnt rather than frozen.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦