Chanukah greetings from Walmart

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: Chanukah greetings from Walmart

Post by Walden »

dwest wrote:a years supply of sodium per slice.
Oh, pshaw! The oldest people I know ate salt pork every day, which is way more salty than ham, and they lived to be right old.
Reasonable person
Walden
dwest

Post by dwest »

Walden wrote:
dwest wrote:a years supply of sodium per slice.
Oh, pshaw! The oldest people I know ate salt pork every day, which is way more salty than ham, and they lived to be right old.
I'm just commenting on the volume of salt in this ham, not porker life expectancies. Most folks soak it for two to three days before cooking. If you threw a single ham into a fresh water lake you could float higher than you would in the Great Salt Lake in just a few days. Sure Paula Dean may eat it after a 24 hour soak but she don't know nothin' 'bout cooking Virginia hams.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Many years ago a friend insisted that he baked his Virginia ham without soaking it. I was skeptical, but he grew up in Waverly, so had a bit of cred. He had an annual party in the late winter/early spring, so we agreed that I'd bring a platter of ham that I'd soaked for a week and he'd have a platter that he hadn't soaked. There honestly wasn't that much difference, and people generally liked his better. In my defense, I probably cooked a Jamestown or Gwaltney and he probably had real Smithfield. (The factor of two-plus in price was a deal breaker for the graduate student.)

I knew another guy whose grandfather had his wife sneak country ham biscuits into the hospital for him. When he was recovering from his second multiple bypass. Gotta admire the guy's spunk. He was in his 80's, so it's not like he died young because of his recklessness.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

The only reason to buy a Gwaltney is to distract people from the real ham that you're eating in private.

(My Mom dried my Grandfather out when he was 90 (and could no longer walk and gain access to alcohol.) He lived the last 14 years of his life proud of his sobriety.)
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

mutepointe wrote:The only reason to buy a Gwaltney is to distract people from the real ham that you're eating in private.

(My Mom dried my Grandfather out when he was 90 (and could no longer walk and gain access to alcohol.) He lived the last 14 years of his life proud of his sobriety.)
The only real southern ham is Edwards ham, all the others are wannabes. I found numerous dried out folks when I worked in the Southwest. It's always amazing how quickly it can happen in a high heat, low humidity environment. Often looked just like a smoked southern ham without the muslin bag.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

dwest wrote:I found numerous dried out folks when I worked in the Southwest. It's always amazing how quickly it can happen in a high heat, low humidity environment. Often looked just like a smoked southern ham without the muslin bag.
You might think otherwise, but apparently Florida's actually good for that sort of thing, too, rainy season notwithstanding. Mom had a sun-worshipping neighbor who looked like jerky on legs. That's what I called her: The Jerky Lady. Every time, folks would know who I was talking about without me having to point.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

When you point, three fingers are pointing back at you.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I hope you're aware how drearily prim that makes a person sound. Plus it's right up there with "Who smelt it, dealt it".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

prim, what a wonderful choice!

He's been watching Paul Reubens again, hasn't he?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:prim, what a wonderful choice!
Stick around, kiddo. I've got a million of 'em.
Denny wrote:He's been watching Paul Reubens again, hasn't he?
Well, I don't hang out in Mute's living room, but yeah, you'd think so. :wink:
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:
Denny wrote:prim, what a wonderful choice!
Stick around, kiddo. I've got a million of 'em.
:love:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Nanohedron wrote:
dwest wrote:I found numerous dried out folks when I worked in the Southwest. It's always amazing how quickly it can happen in a high heat, low humidity environment. Often looked just like a smoked southern ham without the muslin bag.
You might think otherwise, but apparently Florida's actually good for that sort of thing, too, rainy season notwithstanding. Mom had a sun-worshipping neighbor who looked like jerky on legs. That's what I called her: The Jerky Lady. Every time, folks would know who I was talking about without me having to point.
I'm pretty sure some of them make it as far north as North Carolina, where we beach each summer. The girls like an annual trip to a particular bikini shop, and I remember seeing a woman there last year who was, most likely, not older than I, but...wowzer. I sure hope she enjoyed her tan. The word "tan" was doubly applicable, in fact. Made me go home and use extra sunscreen.
dwest

Post by dwest »

emmline wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
I'm pretty sure some of them make it as far north as North Carolina, where we beach each summer. The girls like an annual trip to a particular bikini shop, and I remember seeing a woman there last year who was, most likely, not older than I, but...wowzer. I sure hope she enjoyed her tan. The word "tan" was doubly applicable, in fact. Made me go home and use extra sunscreen.

Oh! I get it! Youse guys are talking about people still breathing. :twisted: BTW when I point a finger at someone my other three fingers are pointing to either someone to my left or my other left. My distal phalanges are usually curled into my palm. In West Virginia there's no telling what goes on with that fifth finger they have. :o
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Nanohedron wrote:I hope you're aware how drearily prim that makes a person sound. Plus it's right up there with "Who smelt it, dealt it".
Do you know any prim folks who say, "Who smelt it, dealth it."? They must be incredibly prim.
Nanohedron wrote:Well, I don't hang out in Mute's living room...
But you want to.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I hope you're aware how drearily prim that makes a person sound. Plus it's right up there with "Who smelt it, dealt it".
Do you know any prim folks who say, "Who smelt it, dealth it."? They must be incredibly prim.
We could discuss - in armchair fashion, of course - the psychology behind redirecting blame for embarrassing instances of flatulence, but as you suggest, it's enough to say some people are just plain muck-savage trashy, period, and leave it at that. No, what I was really more getting at was the comparatively similar level and mode of discourse. Glad that's cleared up.
mutepointe wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Well, I don't hang out in Mute's living room...
But you want to.
It's true. Got beer?