red lancewood

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tucson_whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

red lancewood

Post by tucson_whistler »

out of curiosity, does anyone know why Mr. Grinter makes his Bb flutes out of red lancewood? i'm wondering why, if it's a good wood for Bb flute, doesn't anyone make a D flute out of it? too expensive?

I saw Earle Bartlett makes whistles out of it, so now i'm really confused... i had thought certain woods look pretty (pink ivory) so you can make a whistle out of them, but aren't dense enough to sound good as a D flute. but if you can make a whistle out of red lancewood, and it's also good enough for a Bb flute, why not a D?

thanks...

eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Feadoggie

Re: red lancewood

Post by Feadoggie »

tucson_whistler wrote:does anyone know why Mr. Grinter makes his Bb flutes out of red lancewood?
You'd have to ask Mr. Grinter. I could speculate a bit though. Red Lancewood is a hard, stable, heavy, available local timber that probably is readily sourced in dimensions needed to make Bb flutes. Red Lancewood turns well and has a nice look to it.

I'm not one of those in the camp that says every wood sounds different. The sound is more defined by the flute design, the quality of the build and the player's experience than the wood (provided it is a suitable timber in the first place). Terry McGee has made flutes in red lancewood if I am not mistaken. From his website..
Terry McGee wrote:Red Lancewood

Also known as Dead Finish, an abbreviation for Dead Smooth Finish, a tribute to the working qualities of this lovely Australian timber. It is quite silky and innocuous to work, rather reminiscent of cocus.
I would think Terry could give you a good idea how suitable it is for flutes.

I do have one of Bartlett's red lancewood whistles. It's a nice whistle and the wood is attractive. It had a nice aroma to it when it was new. It has darkened quite a bit over time.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

I've seen a Grinter D in red lancewood. Looked nice but not sure it sounded any different than a blackwood or cocuswood Grinter D.
tucson_whistler

i can understand the local thing i guess, although i expect Michael Grinter could get a piece of blackwood big enough for Kevin Crawford if he wanted to. ;) but i'm also starting to think the wood doesn't matter as much as i thought before; i've tried boxwood and blackwood and ivory and they don't seem much different to me, but the embouchure cut sure makes a big difference.

anyway, i've love to give a red lancewood Grinter D a try some day... ;)

thanks,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
Denny

Post by Denny »

red lancewood isn't used for clarinets

the clarinet makers buy a lot of blackwood
who do you think gets to pick first?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Feadoggie wrote:.......I do have one of Bartlett's red lancewood whistles. It's a nice whistle and the wood is attractive. It had a nice aroma to it when it was new. It has darkened quite a bit over time.

Feadoggie
My C whistle (Syn) has that black peppery scent. Just a suggestion of it.
Is that how you would describe it?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

talasiga wrote:My C whistle (Syn) has that black peppery scent. Just a suggestion of it. Is that how you would describe it?
I don't know, talasiga. It was definitly a pleasant aroma and I was not expecting it in the whistle. It did strike me as a spice smell. Words fail me on this one. So perhaps peppery is it after all.

Does yours have the tulip-bulb shaped head?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

@ feadoggie
Yeah

@ eric
I went into GRinter website couldn't see anything about Bb flutes.
Help me here as I really like phantasizing about the flute d'amour.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
tucson_whistler

talasiga wrote:@ feadoggie
Yeah

@ eric
yes, he doesn't list it; i don't know why not--maybe he prefers not to make them? i don't know. but Kevin Crawford plays his Lunasa tune Inion Ni Scannlain on a red lancewood Bb Grinter, and i've seen pictures of the existence of at least one more.

eric
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

tucson_whistler wrote:
talasiga wrote:@ feadoggie
Yeah

@ eric
yes, he doesn't list it; i don't know why not--maybe he prefers not to make them? i don't know. but Kevin Crawford plays his Lunasa tune Inion Ni Scannlain on a red lancewood Bb Grinter, and i've seen pictures of the existence of at least one more.

eric
Kevin Crawford also played a Bb Grinter on WFO2 ("The Hut in the Bog/ Creggs Pipes")

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org