Learning Ornamentation

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
beor uaine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Learning Ornamentation

Post by beor uaine »

As a beginner, I've been trying to learn from sheet music, which does not contain the ornamentation that I can tell. My ear (or my little ebay special flute, or both) is not really good enough to learn from recordings right now.

Is there a website, video, or something online you guys would recommend for learning songs with ornamentation?

Also, is there a good explanation, preferably with video demonstrations, of the ornamentation techniques?

Thank you in advance for you advice.
Rath Dé ort!
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Re: Learning Ornamentation

Post by rama »

i don't know much about it but this looks pretty good imo: http://www.blaynechastain.com/i-teach
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

It's been said here many times, but the best (IMHO) is Grey Larsen's book/CD. It's at Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Guide-I ... 381&sr=8-1

Sorry about the long link...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

FascinatedWanderer

Post by FascinatedWanderer »

June McCormac's tutorials are really good.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Brother Steve's Twiddly Bits pages on his whistle tutor site are quite clear.

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... bits1.html

(Oh, I see Tintin mentioned this above.)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Just get The Amazing Slowdowner (Roni Music) and slow the tunes down until you can hear the ornaments clearly. Then try to play the tune that way. This is, IMHO, the absolute best teaching tool of all. One time charge. Don't worry about speed. If you want to, you'll get there eventually. Remember to take your time, play pretty, and enjoy the journey.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Go through the basic bits that MTGuru suggested, then go to the further study bit on Brother Steve's site. That has some discussion of actual renditions of tunes that are very instructive.

But as JD said, listen, slow down, play, repeat. And remember that a flute isn't a side-blown whistle, it's a whole nother instrument. The differences may seem subtle, but they're real.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

Julia Delaney wrote:Just get The Amazing Slowdowner (Roni Music) and slow the tunes down until you can hear the ornaments clearly. Then try to play the tune that way. This is, IMHO, the absolute best teaching tool of all. One time charge. Don't worry about speed. If you want to, you'll get there eventually. Remember to take your time, play pretty, and enjoy the journey.
This was going to be my suggestion, so let me simply second the motion.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
lingpupa

Post by lingpupa »

http://oaim.ie/
Because you have to be a very good player to be a very good teacher, but some great players, who may also be great people, don't have a clue about how to teach.
Not that there is anything wrong with some of the suggestions above, just that this one is well worth checking out too. And you can get a good taste for free before you get earnest.
JayDoc

Post by JayDoc »

I'd like to second the suggestion to check out blaynechastain
After a set of video lessons on various techniquest (including some of the basic ornaments), he goes through each tune with and without ornamentation. Then he takes each section of the tune without ornaments and slowly teaches it, then each section with ornaments and slowly teaches it. By the end of the lesson, you're pretty far along. I like the other resources mentioned above, and there are also some really nice tune-based lessons (I think Brother Steve?) on youTube for free, but I find Blayne's lessons to be pretty close to a live teacher (lacking only the live feedback from a teacher, but I believe you can also get that for a few bucks). He's even including guitar backing tracks in the most recent tunes, and has about 50 tunes up on his site at this point.
I wish I could have (and afford) a live teacher, but I've learned a lot from Blayne's iTeach site.
Best,
Jaydoc
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I've always been an advocate of just lots of listening. At speed. In fact, I used to think it was a waste of time to use something like the Amazing Slowdowner. But then, I've never used it. So now (clearly a softened person in my old age) I'm curious. I would still say you can get it just by listening and not slowing down. But I'm interested in how slowdown software might help a beginner. Once you've heard the individual parts of the ornaments, is it then relatively straightforward to speed it up to 'normal' speed in one's own playing?
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

I should probably add that it's a good idea to learn how the ornaments are actually played, so that your technique for doing rolls, slides, strikes, etc. are correct. How to incorporate them is what you will learn in listening, and the Slowdowner is a great tool, but to get the full effect, you'll want to listen at tempo. The Slowdowner is just a means for breaking things into parts, which speeds the learning process.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Remember, too, that Slowdowner isn't an all-or-nothing thing. The speed is completely variable without any change in pitch. So, you dial it down to catch elusive bits, etc., and then crank it back up to standard listening tempo. (Very much like being with a patient teacher).

I haven't used it very much, but I was impressed when I tried the trial version. Recommended. :thumbsup:

And I'll also put in a good word for June McCormack's 'Fluit' book/cd. That helped me get the ornamentation going in the right direction, and it's also a good source of tunes.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I use the slow down software to 'speed up' my ear. I don't happen to use The Amazing Slowdowner but rather BestPractice which is free. It has full variability in speed.
After I learn the tune I 'grind and polish' it by playing along to the software in 5 percent increments in speed. This allows me to correct any technical or fingering errors along the way.
It also allows me to increase the speed above the speed of the example given me by my teacher up to 150 per cent (I wish!) if I choose. . .

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi