Questions about Boehm system flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
beor uaine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Questions about Boehm system flutes

Post by beor uaine »

Okay, I didn't quite know where this should be posted, but you guys have always given me great responses, so I figured why not here...

1. I have a Bestler Boehm system flute which, after it being suggested here that I pick it up again to help my embouchure, I have. But several years ago, when I bought it used I think I moved to cork/stopper. I seem to remember doing so anyway. So is there a specific placement or measurement from something I can use to make sure the stopper is placed correctly, as there is for a wooden flute? If so, could some knowledgable saint post it here for me so I can check and make sure everything's right, please?

And 2. When I first bought it, I had no trouble sounding the low C. But now I do. Is this probably because of a misadjusted cork? And if not, how can I either relearn to sound the lowest note, or how can I otherwise correct it?

Thanks in advance for your answers. And by the way, thanks to those who helped me get the second octave out of my ebay flute. I haven't perfected it yet, but I'm trying...and still looking forward to the day when I relace it with something better.
Rath Dé ort!
Denny

Re: Questions about Boehm system flutes

Post by Denny »

stick with eye in end has mark on other end, stick it in the head, center the mark in the embouchure hole, should be touching cork

cork basic rule of thumb.... on internal diameter back from center of hole

low C, check for leaks first
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dominic Allan »

"internal diameter back from center of hole" - in a nut shell.
beor uaine

Post by beor uaine »

Thanks, guys, I don't have the stick. But I'll look into the measurement you gave.

I did find a leak, though. The C# pad doesn't seal. Is there an adjustment I can do? I'm afraid to start messing with screws. But I'm also afraid it may be bent.
Rath Dé ort!
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Hey guys, he's talking Bohm flute! That head tapers..... so which internal diameter????? Actually, the correct answer is c 17.5mm (the diameter at the embouchure) from the centre of the embouchure. This may be helpful - you have to scroll down a fair way to find the relevant section. And not all swabbing rods are marked - but it's easy enough to mark yours if you have one, or a bit of dowel if you haven't.

To the OP, I very much doubt that your weak low notes are due to the stopper position, though a leaky stopper cork could be to blame. Ah, I now see you have discovered the more likely culprits - the regulation of the keys or the state of the pads. That key may be bent, or the pad may need shimming, or a kicker or buffer cork may be missing..... several possibilities. If you don't know what you're doing to adjust it, take it to a proper woodwind technician. The mechanism is quite delicate and if you lose any of the tiny screws or bend any metal pieces wrongly, you'll be in more trouble and maybe facing a more expensive repair than you already are.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

if you measure at the slide end or at the embouchure hole it's the same.

now if ya pull the crown you might get a bit confused....
beor uaine

Post by beor uaine »

Thanks, again, guys. And yes, I think I'm going to have to take it to be repaired. The pad (some kind of artificial stuff, it's yellow) looks to be in good condition, but it just doesn't touch down, leaving a gap of about a 1mm or so if the roller key is pressed. If the actual key for that pad is pressed, it presses all the way down and seals. But you can't get the low C by pressing the roller key anymore. Either way, the mechanism is beyond me. If I try to take it apart and fix it, I'm going to end up with something destroyed or simply unable to piece it back together again.

Also, what would I polish the thing with? It's chrome plated... I think. And it's got some tarnish I'm really tired of looking at.
Rath Dé ort!
Denny

Post by Denny »

stop by a jewelry store and ask for a polishing rag
Dominic Allan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dominic Allan »

"if you measure at the slide end or at the embouchure hole it's the same." - as Jem said Boehm flute heads taper, it's the diameter at the centre of the embouchure, easiest way is to get a lined stick from a music shop.
Your C-C# problem is most likely to do with regulation ( getting the pads to close with equal pressure) a simple task if you know what you're doing, tricky if you don't.
Maihcol
Tell us something.: I have been selling my flutes since 2010 and I have moved back to Ireland from Brazil and I am now based in County Offaly.

Post by Maihcol »

Denny wrote:if you measure at the slide end or at the embouchure hole it's the same....
That's true for a cylindrical bore head.

If you measure at the slide end of a Boehm flute head, the internal diameter will be 19mm...but since the bore reduces as you go up towards the crown, the diameter at the centre of the embouchure hole will be less - around 17.5mm. (I do understand that you already know this, Denny :) )

Garry
Garry Somers Flutes: http://www.somers-flutes.com
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

If you want some info on keeping your Boehm flute in repair, check out this free PDF:

An illustrated basic flute repair manual for professionals
by Lin, Horng-Jiun, D.M.A., The Ohio State University, 2008, 210 pages

http://etd.ohiolink.edu/send-pdf.cgi/Li ... 1211871566

It's quite something.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Denny

Post by Denny »

Maihcol wrote:
Denny wrote:if you measure at the slide end or at the embouchure hole it's the same....
That's true for a cylindrical bore head.

If you measure at the slide end of a Boehm flute head, the internal diameter will be 19mm...but since the bore reduces as you go up towards the crown, the diameter at the centre of the embouchure hole will be less - around 17.5mm. (I do understand that you already know this, Denny :) )

Garry
I do tend to the practical more than the absolute. :oops: Either will get you close enough to begin fine tunning it for the flute in question and your particular embouchure.

Its all so arcane until you've played for a few years. :D
Kirk B

Post by Kirk B »

My money goes here. I'll bet this piece of cork is missing. If so it's an easy fix.

beor uaine

Post by beor uaine »

Actually, Kirk, mine is not built exactly like that. The keys do not overlap, so that isn't the problem, though that's a pretty insightful guess. That would produce the exact same effect. In any case, my sense of adventure won out. I placed my finger up under the key to hold it in place and pressed the pad down until it moved slightly. The hole now seals perfectly. Not the best choice, I know, but everything worked out well this one time.

Next thing is to make sure the cork is placed right.

Thank you for your help, guys. :D
Rath Dé ort!