Practice pains!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Anyanka
antispam: No

Practice pains!

Post by Anyanka »

Hi all

Two months down the line, and I'm able to play for longish periods of time - and getting some pleasing sounds out of my flute. I find that my hands and lower arms, esp the left one, start to ache and hurt quite a lot, though. Is it a case of wrong posture, or more or less normal? I had a bad case of tennis elbow at the beginning of this year, probably due to excessive accordion practise, and would like not to repeat that injury.
I've not had time or cash to take a lesson yet, so could you give me any advice on hand & arm position till I find myself a teacher?
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Practice pains!

Post by crookedtune »

There's a standing policy not to offer medical advice on these forums.

But it's safe to say you should exercise caution, heed the warnings your body is giving you, and seek qualified medical advice if you feel you may be in trouble. There's too much at stake to be careless!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Denny

Post by Denny »

tension....find it, remove it

holding a flute is a very delicate task
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Anyanka wrote:Hi all

Two months down the line, and I'm able to play for longish periods of time - and getting some pleasing sounds out of my flute. I find that my hands and lower arms, esp the left one, start to ache and hurt quite a lot, though. Is it a case of wrong posture, or more or less normal? I had a bad case of tennis elbow at the beginning of this year, probably due to excessive accordion practise, and would like not to repeat that injury.
I've not had time or cash to take a lesson yet, so could you give me any advice on hand & arm position till I find myself a teacher?
Hard to answer about your posture or hold, but Denny's answer about tension and learning to relax, is right on the money-how you hold the flute and how it works best for you is the answer, basically, for your anatomy. Do searches here on holding and posture, and you can read tomes about it-it's been covered many times over, including pain too.

No, it's not normal to hurt that much-and admitting that you are prone to excessive practice kind of tells the story-stop that! You're probably not as old as me, but it seems that when you get older (post 40 and especially post 50-in my case), your body is much less forgiving and takes much more time to recuperate from injury, so if you're getting near to that age mark, be very careful what you do and how you do it. I've had tendonitis for a good long while now, and it's not getting a lot better, even though I don't play a lot anymore.

And yes, by all means, go see your doctor about this-he'll be the best to help you immediately. No doubt some warming up exercises and stretches may help too.

Enjoy your flute-but maybe just not so much!
~~~~
Barry
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Thank y'all. I'll try and take it easy. I found doctors fairly useless for this kind of thing, unfortunately.
I definitely do suffer from the unforgivingness of the body. Wish I'd done all this music practise in my younger years!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

crookedtune wrote:There's a standing policy not to offer medical advice on these forums.
Yes, it's always a tricky line, CT. I think advice on posture, postition, relaxation etc. is OK. It's what musicians and teachers talk about anyway. "Eat oxycontin and push through it", not so much. :wink:
Anyanka wrote:I found doctors fairly useless for this kind of thing, unfortunately.
If you could find a doctor with an interest in music medicine, or even sports medicine, you might have better luck. But easier said than done.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

i remember a post a few months back about a flute player who plays for one of the big Irish trad bands (like the Chieftains, but obviously not the Chieftains); one commenter said something about how great a flute player he was and why wasn't there more of his flute playing on their albums? then someone else replied, look at his posture, he's in too much pain to play for than a few songs at a time...

take heed the warnings your body gives you...

good luck,
eric

maybe Denny knows the post i'm talking about?
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

tucson_whistler wrote:i remember a post a few months back about a flute player
Seamus Egan. I had a nice green room chat with him a while back, and he said he's not playing as much flute as he used to.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
iansdunblane

Post by iansdunblane »

I am a Physiotherapist in the UK and started playing flute a few years ago and initially had lots of pain which included ....pain in the neck (literally but my wife says I am one ) shoulder and at one point I thought I needed glasses due to eye strain ........Now as a climber I initially used the same approach to learning the instrument and this creates the same 'input' to the brain as if you were a few feet too far above the last piece of protection i.e unconscious fear......this causes the ANS and the SNS to push out adrenaline , sensitise nerve endings and increase muscle tension....Initially the flute holding and learning feels insecure and leads to all sorts of postural adjustments (not so sure if resting the flute head on the collar bone a la garry shannon and many others is a wise thing......) However, they probably get away with it due to enormous skill and lack of tension in the fingers which tends to reduce tone in the neck and shoulder.......
It is very unlikely that a Dr will help any of this other than the obvious no brainer of stop doing what is causing your problem .........
I agree totally with the assessment of the ageing body ! Tendon problems once established are difficult to shift and are not inflammatory problems in the main (hence why 'anti' drugs don't work).....My experience is short periods of practice and becoming 'body aware' is the key to easing problems ...initially trying too hard and 'thinking' too hard may be the main cause of problems ......
http://www.alexandercenter.com/pa/flutei.html Article here might be of interest and some other stuff of general interest here .......http://bodymap.org/main/?cat=27
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D While I was reading, and wondering if the mods will let your post stay, I was wondering if you were gonna mention Alexander. :thumbsup:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I accidently learned to play the whistle left-handed. When I picked up the simple flute, I played that left-handed too. I don't remember any problems. In the beginning, I only played during TV commericals, so that may have helped. When I was given a silver flute holding the flute right-handed caused me a lot of pain/cramping and it took over a year til that got comfortable. The pain/cramping might have to do with the fingering too. I used the piper grip with the simple flute too which is much more relaxed to me.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

And... it might be worth finding a flute teacher, and having one lesson on how to hold the flute.

There are so many different flute holds out there.

I know folk who have played a keyless flute for a long time, then they want to play a keyed flute, and find they can't ever use the Bflat key because of their thumb position.

So you might find you could alleviate your pain and improve your playing with a lesson at the this early stage.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I know folk who have played a keyless flute for a long time, then they want to play a keyed flute, and find they can't ever use the Bflat key because of their thumb position.
:oops:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I'm less than two years into playing flute. I had awful pains at first, but just 'played through them'. I suspect I shouldn't have, so wouldn't recommend it. But I don't get pain playing now. (Well, actually, that's not quite true - I do - but that's to do with being on crutches. It's not the flute playing that's causing the pain.)
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Hi Anyanka,

There are doctors who do know about this stuff. Once I brought my flute in to the chiro for him to see what I was doing when it hurt and he was able to show me what was causing it. In your case with the tennis elbow thing you should see a medical person who knows what actions cause the trouble. And bring your flute.

A great book for best posture and flute balance is The Physical Flute by Fiona Wilkinson. Here's a link to Jennifer Cluff's posture article which includes a fair amount from this book. http://www.jennifercluff.com/posture.htm

Meanwhile don't squeeze. Good luck!