Weird code: 3163

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Weird code: 3163

Post by Redwolf »

I recently downloaded a new copy of Norton. Now, whenever I do anything with Norton (including closing or minimizing the window during a scan) I get a small box on the screen that simply says "Reader" at the top, with the numbers 3163 in the box itself. If I close that box, or click "OK," it allows me to proceed with what I was doing, but the box will pop up again anytime I do anything else until I close the Norton window.

I've tried googling on "Reader 3163" and simply "3163" and I can't find anything about this. Has anyone else here encountered it?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Weird code: 3163

Post by kkrell »

Just on-line chat with Symantec through their website, let them take over your machine, and they'll fix it for you.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I'm getting ready to get the yearly Norton anti-virus subscription, as the reminder boxes keep popping up. Rather than doing the download at their retail prices, the past years I have bought a Norton anti-virus disk on ebay (good for three computers) for less money. I'll keep my eye out for 3163. I hope that the 3163 window doesn't fall under the Gomer Pyle category of "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise".
Denny

Post by Denny »

If you keep ignoring the pop ups for NIS 2011 they will, eventually, offer it for free. (w/the 3 installs)

Alas, the first install was not so good. Two chat techs and 5 hours later, over a couple of days....ignoring that we started on Friday and the wife fought with it all weekend, the second install was much better.

Then there was the third chat tech, and whoever took his chair after the first three hours and threw in the towel an hour later.

The second Friday the wife and I rebuilt the network. :thumbsup: I have no idea how they managed to so thoroughly hose the thing.

I'm not thrilled with the setup windows in it either.... :really:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I am surprised folks still buy Norton AV software, the reputation has not been good for years.
I am even more surprised now, since MS is offering a free AV service:
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Denny

Post by Denny »

yer not alone....wanna talk with me wife about it?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Habbit, many colleges make their students pay for programs through student fees, and they get use to certain programs like notion, word*, excel. Up front it seems free, and habits formed but let's face it the in word and windows changed so much that there was a still a lag. I now am as likely to use OOo.

Aggressive advertising is also a factor, I think I spent the first few hours deleting links for things like acrobat, McCaffee, etc. Makes me want to wipe the drive and download Debian.

Technically I was "taxed" for that one when I bought the computer.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Pfreddee

Post by Pfreddee »

Try Linux, people.

With best regards,

Pfreddee(Stephen)
emmline

Post by emmline »

Pfreddee wrote:Try Linux, people.

With best regards,

Pfreddee(Stephen)
It's not that that's a bad idea...it's probably a very good idea. The problem (I think) for many people operating a PC is that instructions for installing Linux usually include phrases like "splanctify your hard drive into 3 demi-compartments before pressing F13/*strawberry shortcake, then make a back-up copy of the middle third on a freshly poached flounder. Rewire all components below the battery compartment such that "blue" wires (which are green on models made prior to '09) touch, but do not interact with, terminals labeled B and/or Q. Take care not to obliterate that little plastic unidentified peg-like component that you left in the original store packaging before you threw it away."

Or am I thinking of the old days? Is it easy now?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Trying to set up broadband was the death nail to me. Maybe I'll burn another Debian disk and try again on an "old" pentium iii. Kind of a chicken egg thing that could trash the system and leave you unconnected to fix the problem.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

does add to the challenge, dunnit!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

emmline wrote:Or am I thinking of the old days? Is it easy now?
You are thinking of the old days. Last time
I installed RedHat (a few years ago) it was
"insert CD, reboot, come back in an hour".

You only have to splanctify your hard drive
if you want to have Windows and Linux at
the same time.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Spanctify this, splanctify that. Really, folks! Even my spell check doesn't like that word. I like the idea of sticking in a disk and coming back in an hour. Those are instruments that I can follow.

No one has commented on the free Microsoft anti-virus package. Is it any good? If so, why are people more computer savy than I still using Norton?
emmline

Post by emmline »

fearfaoin wrote: "insert CD, reboot, come back in an hour".
I can usually do that. It's when any set of instructions takes an unexpected off-road detour that I find myself without the required navigational know-how.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Doug_Tipple wrote: No one has commented on the free Microsoft anti-virus package. Is it any good? If so, why are people more computer savy than I still using Norton?
I believed in Kaspersky, but the kid--running a Toshiba laptop at college--has still run aground with some sort of malicious cyber-malady, and will not be up and running again until I can re-install the system over Thanksgiving.

But now I'm wondering...IF I download that Ubuntu thingy, and install it on his laptop such that he can boot Windows 7 or Linux, what problems is he likely to encounter? For example, if you get a virus visiting the fanfic page for WOW Naughty Elves or something...could you still use your Ubuntu aspect?