Generation head removal

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wiz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Generation head removal

Post by Wiz »

Generation whistle heads are sometimes difficult to remove, as was the case with my F and Bb. After much hot water, huffing and puffing, pulling and twisting, I thought a think might be in order. So I sat and thunk, and this is what I came up with. It worked for me, YMMV. The tools used were a washer and a ring spanner. I placed a suitable sized washer on the whistle so that it rested on the plastic mouthpiece and gently tapped it with the ring spanner threaded over the body, after dunking the head into a container of hot water. This worked well for the F whistle, but the Bb needed no assistance from the spanner, the weight of the large washer I used was enough to cause the head to slip off easily. I held the whistles by the bell end so that it was vertical and made sure to keep the face of the spanner parallel to the washer so that the force was even around the plastic part.

The order of the components.

The tools used. The smaller washer was for the F, the larger for the Bb.

Last edited by Wiz on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Generation head removal

Post by MTGuru »

Wiz, those secure https links won't display here. You need to use an open http server.

And yes, a photo illustrating your description would be helpful. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Wiz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Wiz »

Fixed! Thanks, MTGuru.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Ah, so ring spanner = box wrench in USA-speak. :wink: And you're using it percussively to knock the head off the tube, with the washer as a collar. Gotcha.

Jumper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jumper »

A few days ago I watched Mike De Smidt use a pair of channel-lock pliers to twist the head off of a Bb Generation, no water, heat or gentle persuasion employed, just brute force. :boggle: He wanted to modify the tube to make it into a B whistle to match his B uilleann pipe chanter. A disc sander made quick work of the shortening part, and we were playing in B in about three minutes.

(And for those inclined to make such a whistle, dimensions posted by pipemaker Bill Haneman can be found here).

I do not endorse or recommend Mike's technique, just sayin' that it worked for him.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I watched (with dismay) as Joanie Madden beheaded Generations and Sweetones by sliding them forcefully into the bottom end of one of her Burkes. Top popped off, and she poured the tube out of her whistle. Said that's how she always did it.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Steve Bliven wrote:I watched (with dismay) as Joanie Madden beheaded Generations and Sweetones by sliding them forcefully into the bottom end of one of her Burkes. Top popped off, and she poured the tube out of her whistle. Said that's how she always did it.
Yep! I too attended a whistle class years ago conducted by Joanie Madden - always a lot of fun. There were more than 30 people in this class with all manner of whistles at hand. Some were non-tunable models. Tuning the whistles in the room was a real bear as you could imagine. Joanie took things into her own hands in an effort to get a couple whistles in tune. I gasped and nearly passed out as she took a Gen and slipped the metal tube inside the body of her own O'Riordan concert D and basically used it as a slide hammer to knock the plastic head loose. It worked! She must have done it before.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I'm trying to visualize the Madden Method, and not succeeding. The Gen D fits nicely inside a Burke C (or Gen C, etc.). And then ... what? How do you secure the D tube? Or does just dropping it in vertically in free-fall produce enough force on the head?

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

MTGuru wrote:I'm trying to visualize the Madden Method, and not succeeding. ... How do you secure the D tube? Or does just dropping it in vertically in free-fall produce enough force on the head?
Not just dropping it but launching it forcefully into the receiving tube. The end of the receiving tube functions like the washers Wiz uses and pops the head off.

Of course, she's a professional and folks shouldn't necessarily try this at home...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

It's been a few years since I witnessed this. I've been to quite a few more Madden workshops in the interim but participants have used tunable tooters (or purchased Burkes right there). Here's what I remember. The Gen tube (as example) fits neatly inside the O'Riordan/Burke tube. I do not recall if the head was separated from the body of the O'Riordan to do this. So I can't say for sure if Joanie had a hold on the bottom of the Gen tube or just threw the Gen into the O'Riordan whistle body. Wack, wack, wack and the Gen head pops off. Joanie was quite confident and apparently had done this frequently. She does do a lot of workshops. I still cringe thinking about it. I am sure this is a coincidence but that's the last time I saw that concert D at a workshop. A well loved O'Riordan traveler D has been in her hands every time I have seen her since then.

I see Steve has described his experience just now too.

Feadoggie
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Steve Bliven wrote:The end of the receiving tube functions like the washers Wiz uses and pops the head off.
There can be only one.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

JTC111 wrote:There can be only one.
Agreed. Joanie - the one and only.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

MTGuru wrote:I'm trying to visualize the Madden Method, and not succeeding. The Gen D fits nicely inside a Burke C (or Gen C, etc.). And then ... what? How do you secure the D tube? Or does just dropping it in vertically in free-fall produce enough force on the head?
Maybe it's like the old sawing the lady in half trick; she has a beheaded Gen D stashed away in the other end of the Burke.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

A very good video on head removal.

it's even better than the thumb removal video
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

mutepointe wrote:A very good video on head removal.

it's even better than the thumb removal video

I think that would damage the whistle tube
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde