What do I buy next?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Skinty
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

What do I buy next?

Post by Skinty »

I bought and started playing a low D sweetheart flute in January. A few months later I bought a Fred Rose with tuning slide from ebay. I have my flutes permanently assembled and at my side when I'm working (or playing computer games) so I can just pick them up and diddle around a bit while I'm thinking. The sweetheart is much easier to play, it has a lovely woody tone and I can get it to honk nicely. The Fred Rose was more difficult but I can now get a nice tone out that too now. It's much clearer on the second octave. I found that playing a more difficult instrument really helped my embouchure.

So what next? Should I buy a flute or fife in another key? If so which one? I used to always play in the Key of A when I played guitar. G is apparently another popular key for Irish music. Not that I play with other people, although I'd like to. I live in Scotland and have more interest in Scottish folk music than Irish. Am I right in thinking that a smaller fife will be more difficult to play than a larger one? Or should I stick to the key of D?
crookedtune

Re: What do I buy next?

Post by crookedtune »

Over-acquiring is something many of us are guilty of. As cool as it is to try them all out, you really only need one D flute. You might want to focus on one of your two D flutes and let the other go.

As for the smaller ones, Eb and F flutes are a real blast to play, and good for embouchure development. I have a great blackwood Sweetheart F that gets a lot of play at home. A lot of modern makers are producing nice Eb flutes, too. A good Eb, perhaps a Copley, will probably be my next indulgence!

If you search, you'll find a number of threads about all this. Cheers!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Skinty

Another STM fan :thumbsup:

There is nothing stopping you playing STM on your D flute, but if your FlOA is kicking in, instead of a flute in another key, why not get a keyed D flute. (Or a practice chanter :lol: ).

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Othannen wrote:Image
I'm in a classical flute ensemble in which we play alto and bass flute. One of my partners has this ridiculous contraption, the contra-bass flute. Tried it, hated it, good only for low percussive sounds, worthless in my opinion (man, I'm harsh this morning). But quite a novelty, an expensive one at that. Hey, it's made of PVC.
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

My suggestion? Get one lower, one higher.

Aside from the musical possibilities, each has a specific potential benefit to your D flute playing. A lower flute will make you work harder; D will seem positively easy afterward. A higher flute will show you and your embouchure the thrilling feeling of getting the air column completely excited and the flute body humming, much easier than on the D flute.

So, try a C first, then maybe an F. If you like the key of A, substitute an E flute for the F. A will come out when you play using G fingerings.

Cheers,

Rob
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

F flutes are great.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
drewr

Post by drewr »

If I had ten months into playing and two very decent D flutes on-hand already, I'd spend my money on as many Irish flute CDs as I could find. And then I'd listen to them non-stop. I wouldn't worry about different-pitched flutes at this point, if it were me. I still say the best way to work toward "mastering" this at first is to play as much ITM as possible on a regular D-pitched flute. You'll have lots of time to expand into other pitches later, unless you play with others in alternate keys at the moment (in which case such a flute would serve a practical purpose).

I guess what I'm saying is that it sounds like you're pursuing alternate-pitched flutes as a matter of curiosity. At this point in your playing you "curiosity" should be focused on what you can do with your existing D flutes. Then again, I'm certainly no expert.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Have you considered a keyed flute in Bb?
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Sm*rt*rse. :wink:

Rob
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

If you don't know what to buy next, save your money and wait until you know.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Gabriel wrote:If you don't know what to buy next, save your money and wait until you know.
Exactly.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

dow wrote:
Gabriel wrote:If you don't know what to buy next, save your money and wait until you know.
Exactly.
I'm with them. :thumbsup:
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

If I were concentrating on Scottish tunes I would want an Eb that would be able to tune to higland pipes for playing in Bb mix (my Eb antique is plenty sharp and works for this) and an E for playing in A major. Most Scottish bands playing with a piper generally have an Eb flute. Only really for playing with others a D will do the same just at a different pitch. For playing with most small pipers your d will do. I have a keyed E piccolo or fife stamped b and s dulcet that is great but the fingering is awkward due to its tiny size. If you want affordable Doug Tipple probably makes an Eb and E or maybe Billy Miller or another bamboo maker. Hammy Hamilton and Jil Lehart come to mind for a conical keyed or keyless E.There are probably others.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Figure it out, and then, re-figure, and buy my Hudson Pratten!
Arbo