Those pesky fiddle players and their tunes in A

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Those pesky fiddle players and their tunes in A

Post by eskin »

A-major tunes are absolutely playable on a high-D whistle using a half-holed G#. Practice, practice, practice...

On the other hand, when a set of A-major tunes comes up and I'm playing the pipes, since I don't have a G# key and haven't yet mastered a half-holed or cross-fingered G# reliably on my chanter, I'll just sit them out or switch to high-D whistle. I've heard long strings of A-major tunes called "F the piper" sets. :-)
walrii
antispam: No

Post by walrii »

hoopy mike wrote:Does anyone out there own a Dixon Trad E?
It's not a Trad E but I have a plastic low E by Dixon that is a nice whistle. The only issue was the bell note (E) being a little sharp which I fixed with a ridge of blue-tac/poster putty in the bell end. I use it playing bluegrass - bluegrass fiddlers like A too! There are bluegrass tunes in A with a Gnat; I use a D whistle for those.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I think the best way to handle A Major tunes- true Major tunes with G#s all over the place, sometimes in complex note-combinations, is to play them as if they were in the key of G, on an E whistle.

To those who advocate playing A Major tunes on a D whistle, I ask: "Do you play all of your G Major tunes on a C whistle, having mastered the halfholing of all those F#s through rigourous practice?"

hmmm.... I thought not.

It's simply common sense to play G Major tunes on a D whistle, A Major tunes on an E whistle, and so forth.

I have a Susato Low E that I use for A Major tunes. It's a pretty good-playing whistle, well in tune after a bit of carving. If I used a Low E more often I would pony up an buy a Burke.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

On the PEX make-my-own circuit, I have a nice low-ish high A whistle, on which I mostly play Ashokan Farewell, and a couple of Low Es, all on Snr Gonzato's measurements, which fits the fingers nicely and play a lot of stuff.
Recently I've been practicing the Coleraine Jig on the D whistle, which means a few G#s.
The low-ish high A is the longest High whistle I've ever made, and I was a bit surprised that it sounded okay, and that the fingering wasn't the least bit difficult.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

What is a low-ish high A whistle please?
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

pancelticpiper wrote:It's simply common sense to play G Major tunes on a D whistle, A Major tunes on an E whistle, and so forth.
In an ideal world, yes. But in a world where whistles cost money and there is a much wider range of D whistles available than E whistles, both in terms of price and availability, I suspect that many players will chose to stick with their favourite D whistle when playing the occasional tune in A.

Having said that, I've just ordered an E Dixon Trad whistle (it's my birthday today, and all I've got so far for a present is an ingrowing toenail and a mobile phone, so I have an excuse). I'll let you know how it sounds (the whistle, not the toenail).

On a side note, does anyone own a nicer C whistle than their nicest D whistle? (You can define "nice" in whatever way you wish).
walrii

Post by walrii »

hoopy mike wrote:On a side note, does anyone own a nicer C whistle than their nicest D whistle? (You can define "nice" in whatever way you wish).
My nicest D is a Jerry Freeman MellowDog that came in a C/D set. I think the C is the better whistle. Not by much, mind you, but it seems a tad smoother and easier to play. Both are outstanding whistles.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

walrii wrote:
hoopy mike wrote:On a side note, does anyone own a nicer C whistle than their nicest D whistle? (You can define "nice" in whatever way you wish).
My nicest D is a Jerry Freeman MellowDog that came in a C/D set. I think the C is the better whistle. Not by much, mind you, but it seems a tad smoother and easier to play. Both are outstanding whistles.
I also have a MellowDog C/D set; one of the earlier models with the delightfully funky extension at the bottom of the D tube. The C of that set is really outstanding—complimented by several listeners (Generally on the order of, "Your playing isn't so hot Steve, but that whistle sounds great!")

But I wouldn't dare get into the "which one is nicer" discussion....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
eskin

Post by eskin »

pancelticpiper wrote:To those who advocate playing A Major tunes on a D whistle, I ask: "Do you play all of your G Major tunes on a C whistle, having mastered the halfholing of all those F#s through rigourous practice?"
Cool, now I have something to work on between classes at the tionol! :-)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

pancelticpiper wrote:To those who advocate playing A Major tunes on a D whistle, I ask: "Do you play all of your G Major tunes on a C whistle, having mastered the halfholing of all those F#s through rigourous practice?"
Yes, I do. Sometimes.

It's a question of theory vs. praxis, pancelt. Under ideal conditions, you might choose an E whistle to play an AMaj tune, especially if the G#s feature prominently. But in sessions where the tunes are not called in advance, you sometimes find yourself suddenly facing an AMaj tune in the middle of a long set. You can do an awkward whistle swap (twice!) - assuming you even have an E whistle handy. Or just play the darn tune, and be ready for the next tune when it launches in D or whatever.

Similarly, playing a DDor -> GMaj set or transition, I'd start on C whistle then switch to A fingering (or "whistle capo" fingering) for the GMaj tune, as you describe.

So if the underlying question is "Do you practice what you preach?", the answer is yes. :-)

Actually, I'm surprised, pancelt. I'd think you're someone who can play A fingering in your sleep ...
hoopy mike wrote:In an ideal world, yes. But in a world where whistles cost money and there is a much wider range of D whistles available than E whistles, both in terms of price and availability, I suspect that many players will chose to stick with their favourite D whistle when playing the occasional tune in A.
I agree with this, too.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

hoopy mike wrote:
pancelticpiper wrote:It's simply common sense to play G Major tunes on a D whistle, A Major tunes on an E whistle, and so forth.
In an ideal world, yes. But in a world where whistles cost money and there is a much wider range of D whistles available than E whistles, both in terms of price and availability, I suspect that many players will chose to stick with their favourite D whistle when playing the occasional tune in A.

Having said that, I've just ordered an E Dixon Trad whistle (it's my birthday today, and all I've got so far for a present is an ingrowing toenail and a mobile phone, so I have an excuse). I'll let you know how it sounds (the whistle, not the toenail).

On a side note, does anyone own a nicer C whistle than their nicest D whistle? (You can define "nice" in whatever way you wish).
I'd be interested to hear your opinion of the Dixon E. I've thought about getting one, myself.
As for the last question, I ditto what others have said. My Mellow Dog in C is my nicest whistle, nicer to me than the Mellow Dog D or either of my Dixon Trads in D.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

hoopy mike wrote: On a side note, does anyone own a nicer C whistle than their nicest D whistle? (You can define "nice" in whatever way you wish).
Yes I think so. Over the years I've come to regard my old Generation C as the best whistle in any key I've ever played. I've never played a D by any maker at any price that comes close to the way that Generation C plays.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I have a Gen C like that.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

My favourite Gen is a little F
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Yeah, mine's pretty beat up as well.