getting honk

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tucson_whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

getting honk

Post by tucson_whistler »

hi,

so i was enjoying the thread about playing styles, but i don't want to hijack it so i thought i'd start a new one. :)

let's accept that players have styles irrespective of what flute they are playing, but that the sound they get certainly depends somewhat on the flute they are playing. so i have 2 questions:

1) how do i get that honking sound that a lot of trad players have, especially at the end of a tune? Mr. McGee has a great article on his website about "getting a dark tone" that i found really helpful, but hasn't helped me get the honk :)
2) what magic flute :) would i want to try and get that might encourage this honking sound?

i suspect getting this honking sound is in particular why Olwell prattens seem to be popular? or did i imaging that?

thanks...

eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: getting honk

Post by m31 »

Why would anyone want to sound like a car or a goose?
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Not really the flute.

Although Patrick rubs some special magic on his flutes.

I can get that hard "honk", bark and chirp on any decent flute regardless of the kind.

While one flute may produce that kind of tone better over an other for the most part it comes from the player.

I play a Wylde/Rudal and it's very honky.

It wasn't always the case.

The flute didn't change you can be sure.

I had to work at finding that sweet spot and practiced to make it happen on call ( and I hope it answers more times than not. :D )

You have a McGee blackwood Rudall D according to your sig.

That will do it. I promise you.

How do you get to Carnegie Honkin' Hall?
Last edited by Aanvil on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

m31 wrote:Why would anyone want to sound like a car or a goose?

Knocks over pint glass...

The goose it out!
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

right after i posted this, i made some progress somehow. thanks guys. :)

i have a forbes, and i've watched a video of Kevin Crawford making that exact same flute honk (even better than a goose :), but it just won't seem to do that for me.

so it's definitely not the flute... but i can seem to do it better with the M&E than the Forbes, which is why the forbes is for sale... :)

cheers,
eric
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I think some flutes do it better or at least more easily.
Olwell Prattens sure do.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

Aanvil wrote:Not really the flute.

I can get that hard "honk", bark and chirp on any decent flute regardless of the kind.

While one flute may produce that kind of tone better over an other for the most part it comes from the player.

I play a Wylde/Rudal and it's very honky.

It wasn't always the case.

The flute didn't change you can be sure.

You have a McGee blackwood Rudall D according to your sig.

That will do it. I promise you.
I agree with aanvil on this. For the most part, you are going to sound like you sound regardless of the flute, at least once you get past the beginner goofies. You mentioned the youtube clip of Kevin playing that Forbes, and that's a prime example. Kevin sounds pretty much like Kevin, whether he's playing that Forbes or his Grinter or my Wm. Hall & Son or a garden hose. It's just WAY more about the player than it is about the flute. Now don't get me wrong, there are differences in the way different flutes sound, but that strong, hard reedy tone is achievable on most any flute. If you don't already have them, pick up the wooden flute obsession cd's from Kevin Krell here: http://www.worldtrad.org/. You'll hear flute players there who run the gamut from dark round tones, to a couple that sound more like oboes than they do flutes, and everything in between.

Get to playing, and keep at it, and one day, it'll click and you'll go "WOW!". For me, it happened about four summers ago. I was at Augusta Irish week, and was sitting in Kevin's flute class, along with about 20 other folks. Anyway, we were learning some tune, and all of a sudden everything fell together for me for a few bars. It was so cool, and the really cool thing was that I was sitting next to Cathy Wilde, and she stopped playing and stared. Of course it went as fast as it came, and it was a good while before it happened again, but it did come back. Some days it's easy, and some days it's not so easy for me to get, but I'm way better than I was then. Regardless, I find that I can do it on pretty much any flute I pick up, after playing for a while to kind of get to know the flute.

That's my opinion, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it. :D :D

I hope this rambling helps.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
lingpupa

Post by lingpupa »

The main point has already been made: flutes do vary, but it has more to do with the player than the instrument. I was lucky enough to buy my pride-and-joy from a very well-known player with a top-flight powerful sound, who sent me an MD with a recording of himself on it at the stage when I was thinking of buying it. So I always knew that the flute was capable of good sound, and that the failure to get a good honk was due to me. This saved me from going down the road of looking for an even more expensive / famous / unusual / used-by-favourite-player / fashionable / obscure / whatever flute of the holy-grail honker. There were times when it was very frustrating, but eventually I began to find the power and drive that is in the old girl.
If you want to listen to a really rich honking sound, have a listen to Majella Bartley's sample lesson at the Online Academy of Irish Music (http://oaim.ie/)! Now there is a sound to emulate!
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

lingpupa wrote: I was lucky enough to buy my pride-and-joy from a very well-known player with a top-flight powerful sound, who sent me an MD with a recording of himself on it at the stage when I was thinking of buying it. So I always knew that the flute was capable of good sound, and that the failure to get a good honk was due to me.
Lucky, indeed! Having that happen would have saved many of us from naive searches for a "real" Irish flute.

I found the honk on my Copley, and quickly realized I could get there on my (former) Burns, and most any other flute I got my hands on. I recently had the chance to play two glorious Olwell flutes, which I'd love to own. But really, it was still me playing, and not sounding much different.

Any flute sound you've heard is likely available to be gotten on your Forbes.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Tucson, during the early stages (i.e. the first decade or so) of learning the flute, I think it's strongly advisable to pick one good flute and stick with it. You'll progress much faster.

The flute can be a frustrating instrument to learn, with a steep learning curve, so I fully understand the desire to find a flute that makes it all happen for you. Unfortunately, it's an illusory quest. You already have two good flutes--the Forbes and the McGee. Either one will serve you well for many years to come.

You wonder if Olwell Prattens are flutes with good honking capabilities--when I had a chance to try a Forbes, it felt awfully similar to the Olwell Prattens I've played, so if you're wondering about an Olwell, spend some time with your Forbes.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:shock: ack! yer bein' reasonable :shock:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Denny wrote::shock: ack! yer bein' reasonable :shock:
Is that against board policy? My apologies... :wink:
Denny

Post by Denny »

we's here to keep the flute makers busy :thumbsup:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

tucson_whistler wrote:right after i posted this, i made some progress somehow. thanks guys. :)

i have a forbes, and i've watched a video of Kevin Crawford making that exact same flute honk (even better than a goose :), but it just won't seem to do that for me.

so it's definitely not the flute... but i can seem to do it better with the M&E than the Forbes, which is why the forbes is for sale... :)

cheers,
eric
How long have you been playing the Forbes? It took me over a year to really start getting that sound out of mine and It's still an evolving process.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

The Forbes is a beast, better than many more expensive flutes I've tried...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute