Need a relatively inexpensive high F

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SwtCaro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need a relatively inexpensive high F

Post by SwtCaro »

Hi all.

It's been years since I've been on C&F but I've never stopped playing whistle. It's good to know you're all still playing.

I need a high F for a song I'm playing with an orchestra in about a month. I just got the music today or I would have started on this sooner. I don't play a high F on a regular basis, so while I'd love something like a Burke I just can't justify it.

I was thinking about trying both a Susato Kildare (it's got the volume) and either a brass or nickel Freeman Generation. Then I'd be able to play both and see which I think would work best. However, I'm not sure whether to try the brass or nickel. I've got a non-tweaked brass and it's super chiffy. I'd like something bright and pure, but don't know that I can get it for what I want to spend (<$100 total) so I'll settle for "in tune". :P

So, any votes for brass or nickel tweaked Gen? Or do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!
Caroline
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Need a relatively inexpensive high F

Post by benhall.1 »

Well, I'd definitely go for a tweaked Gen if I were going to get a high F. But, IMO, high F whistles are not nice instruments - too squeaky. Is it possible that you might be able to play what you have on a Bb? Or a C?
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I was going to suggest a C, too, unless you need the very top end of the F whistle. I have a Gen F that I Lmost never play 'cause it's so "strident". I don't think there's any real difference between brass and nickel at this range, either. Mine's brass, btw.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Caroline

If the piece is in F, then for the price range you quote, you can get an alto/low F.
Harp and Dragon advertise the Dixon polymer alto F for $73 and this whistle plays well and sounds lovely (guess what F whistle I have :lol: )

Song of the Sea advertise the Susato F for $69.90

Daniel Bingamon has a nice brass F for $59

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

My tweaked F Generations are bright and pure and definitely not squeaky.

Mary Bergin loves (her word) them.

$21.50 plus $5.55 postage anywhere in the world for your choice of nickel or brass. I can't say there's a big difference between nickel or brass that would strongly push the selection one way or the other.

For you folks who haven't tried them, this is a lovely whistle. It's clean and bright, very birdlike. I hand them to people at my vendor's table at events, and they're always surprised what a nice whistle it is, because most people don't think about this key.

I told Mary not many people play a high F and she said, "Well I play them!"

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Well, I haven't tried on of your tweaked ones, Jerry, so apologies - if you say you've got it licked, I believe you.
SwtCaro

Post by SwtCaro »

Thanks for your help. The part I need to play is super high. While I can play it on my Burke C, I have to go to the 3rd octave d, and that note is just too flat to play with an orchestra. I just can't blow hard enough to keep it in tune.

Caroline
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

SwtCaro wrote:The part I need to play is super high. While I can play it on my Burke C, I have to go to the 3rd octave d, and that note is just too flat to play with an orchestra. I just can't blow hard enough to keep it in tune.
I play Burkes from high E down to low C. There's not much call for the high F. When you need one you need one. I have Gens in high F and G just in case. I'd suggest buying a Gen high F. It can be a very sweet little whistle. They are inexpensive and they are readily available. I have had good luck with off-the-shelf blue top Gens in F and have not had to tweak them at all except to loosen the head to adjust pitch. I'm not playing with orchestras either. The Gen won't have the volume of a Burke or a Susato but I would expect it should do the trick. But that's just my experience and the experience of others may differ. Have fun! What peice are you playing?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
SwtCaro

Post by SwtCaro »

It's the opener of a big Christmas production. I'm also the 2nd clarinet, but I play all of the whistle parts too. I've got an even bigger solo in another song that I'm using my Burke C for.

I'm going with a tweaked Gen for now. We'll see if I feel the need for the Susato as well.

Thanks everybody!
Caroline
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

extracts from what Jerry Freeman wrote:My tweaked F Generations are bright and pure and definitely not squeaky.

For you folks who haven't tried them, this is a lovely whistle. It's clean and bright, very birdlike. .........
I told Mary not
many people play a high F and she said, "Well I play them!"
birdlike - yes, I like birdlike too
though the shrill may not be
something that a dog may like
extract from what Feadoggie wrote: ........
I have Gens in high F and G just in case. I'd suggest buying a Gen high F. It can be a very sweet little whistle. They are inexpensive and they are readily available. I have had good luck with off-the-shelf blue top Gens in F and have not had to tweak them at all except to loosen the head to adjust pitch.
Yes, I have a Gen high F sitting by my PC here
which I pick up up now and then
when I am internetting.

I dont feel mine is too squeaky
even tho it hasn't had a tweaky
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

SwtCaro wrote:Thanks for your help. The part I need to play is super high. While I can play it on my Burke C, I have to go to the 3rd octave d, and that note is just too flat to play with an orchestra. I just can't blow hard enough to keep it in tune.

Caroline
I never thought I'd hear anyone describe a third octave D as too flat. ;-)
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Jerry Freeman wrote:My tweaked F Generations are bright and pure and definitely not squeaky.

$21.50 plus $5.55 postage anywhere in the world for your choice of nickel or brass. I can't say there's a big difference between nickel or brass that would strongly push the selection one way or the other.

For you folks who haven't tried them, this is a lovely whistle. It's clean and bright, very birdlike. I hand them to people at my vendor's table at events, and they're always surprised what a nice whistle it is, because most people don't think about this key.

I told Mary not many people play a high F and she said, "Well I play them!"

Best wishes,
Jerry
+1 I have one of Jerry's tweaked Gen high F and it is pure and sweet JMHO tho.... mine is Nickel BTW
sackbut

Post by sackbut »

I use a home-made high F made from ordinary 15mm copper pipe, which gives a much mellower tone than my Gen F. The standard of finish wouldn't match that of the professional handcrafters and tweakers, but it's certainly inexpensive, having been made from 'found materials'. The two copies I've so far made don't quite match the tone of the first effort, but if there's a demand for an inexpensive mellow high F, I might try again...
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

I have a Susato high F that's a good player. Good response and intonation and not as shrill as you might expect. It has the VS (very small) bore.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I have a Gen high F nickel silver (blue fipple) that is quite nice as is; imagine one tweaked by Jerry?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.