Metal Whistle - next level up?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
celticmodes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Metal Whistle - next level up?

Post by celticmodes »

I've got a friend that's been playing with a low-end whistle for a while and wants to move up. He's not ready for a Burke (i.e. $200 investment) but wants the next step up from the overly chiffy bad 'c' one he's got.

Is there a metal whistle between $50-$100 for an intermediate player?
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
Steve Bliven

Re: Metal Whistle - next level up?

Post by Steve Bliven »

Jerry Freeman's tweaked whistles have a great sound and are slightly lower than the range you cite. John Sindt's are great and are slightly above your range.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Depends on what you mean by "metal whistle". There are lots of good whistles with metal bodies and plastic in the mouthpiece from Gens, Feadogs to Sindt, Batlett(Syn), etc . Otherwise you looking at Chieftains, Goldies and so on. I just played the Impempe tour whistle recently. That's an all "metal whistle" and it is in the target price range.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Not sure what he has on hand right now, but Chuck Tilbury (a poster in this forum) makes some nice aluminum whistles. I have a Bb that I like very much. You might also keep an eye on the used instrument forum as nice whistles show up there pretty often.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I have a Syn whistle in the key of C that I'd be willing to sell if he likes that key. It has some back pressure that might take getting used to if his current whistle doesn't play that way but it's a nice whistle.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

The Alba Q1 D sells for about $105 (65GBP). It is a very nice whistle that is a little on the quiet side. It is all aluminium.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

The Impempe, from South Africa, is a very good aluminum whistle in your general price range.

There's one on tour that may land in my mailbox today. (Thanks, Pat!) :)

http://impempewhistles.co.za/5052.html
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I would also suggest the Impempe. Ian is truly a stand-up guy, and he makes fine instruments.
If you are interested, please go here: http://impempewhistles.co.za/
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ubizmo »

I'm currently selling my Impempe high D, preferring a whistle with a little more back pressure--if indeed "all-metal" is meant.

Ubizmo
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

crookedtune wrote:The Impempe, from South Africa, is a very good aluminum whistle in your general price range.

There's one on tour that may land in my mailbox today. (Thanks, Pat!) :)

http://impempewhistles.co.za/5052.html
Not 'til next week - sorry. I CAN, however, recommend the Impempe whistles (at least the D that I have on tour).

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
celticmodes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by celticmodes »

Thanks all.
celticmodes
[Reviol 8 key | Oz Vambrace | Dusty Strings Ravenna | Luna Trinity Parlor]
scottie

Post by scottie »

I just bought a Merlin Silver Excalibur and I am sure it would work for your friend. About five years ago I bought a high d aluminum whistle form Chuck Tilbury who at that time had the company name Granite Falls Manufacturing. The whistle was very well made and sounded awesome. The only problem was me. My wife said I am A.D.D. She is always ribbing me because I try out so many instruments. I can not help it that I like the sounds and want to be an instant player of all these instruments. I ended up selling it because I was not making head way fast enough. I can kick myself now for doing that. I am thinking about contacting him for another whistle to see if he is still in business. I would highly recommend his whistles for anyone. Wish you the best on helping your friend find the right whistle.
Scottie
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

scottie wrote:I just bought a Merlin Silver Excalibur and I am sure it would work for your friend. About five years ago I bought a high d aluminum whistle form Chuck Tilbury who at that time had the company name Granite Falls Manufacturing. The whistle was very well made and sounded awesome. The only problem was me. My wife said I am A.D.D. She is always ribbing me because I try out so many instruments. I can not help it that I like the sounds and want to be an instant player of all these instruments. I ended up selling it because I was not making head way fast enough. I can kick myself now for doing that. I am thinking about contacting him for another whistle to see if he is still in business. I would highly recommend his whistles for anyone. Wish you the best on helping your friend find the right whistle.
Scottie
Chuck is still in business. I just bought a Bb whistle from him about a month or so ago. I don't know what stock he might still have on hand, but he started this thread a little while back: CP: New batch is ready.
And his website is here: Tilbury Woodwinds Company
FWIW, I like my Tilbury Bb very much.
Jim

scottie

Post by scottie »

JTC111 wrote:
scottie wrote:I just bought a Merlin Silver Excalibur and I am sure it would work for your friend. About five years ago I bought a high d aluminum whistle form Chuck Tilbury who at that time had the company name Granite Falls Manufacturing. The whistle was very well made and sounded awesome. The only problem was me. My wife said I am A.D.D. She is always ribbing me because I try out so many instruments. I can not help it that I like the sounds and want to be an instant player of all these instruments. I ended up selling it because I was not making head way fast enough. I can kick myself now for doing that. I am thinking about contacting him for another whistle to see if he is still in business. I would highly recommend his whistles for anyone. Wish you the best on helping your friend find the right whistle.
Scottie
Chuck is still in business. I just bought a Bb whistle from him about a month or so ago. I don't know what stock he might still have on hand, but he started this thread a little while back: CP: New batch is ready.
And his website is here: Tilbury Woodwinds Company
FWIW, I like my Tilbury Bb very much.
Thanks for the information Jim. I will have to send him a pm. Glad you like your Bb. Do you have many tunes or situations for playing in that key? Have a great day.
Scottie
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

scottie wrote:Thanks for the information Jim. I will have to send him a pm. Glad you like your Bb. Do you have many tunes or situations for playing in that key? Have a great day.
Scottie
Not many at all, but I like having a variety of keys around. I play them all like they're a D whistle, so finding music in Bb isn't an issue.
Jim