First Low D and a small issue :(

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Captain_Kelly
antispam: No

First Low D and a small issue :(

Post by Captain_Kelly »

Ok.So I just recently received my first Low D whistle from Etnicwind.com/Nick Metcalf.This is my first 2 piece whistle and I'm having a slight issue with the head and body sliding apart on me way too often.Is there something I need to do to it to make the connection a little tighter?I apologize if this is a dumb question but I'm still not very familiar with the whole whistle world just yet and could use some help.I appreciate any responses.Thanks!
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: First Low D and a small issue :(

Post by bogman »

I'm not familiar with the whistle you bought but the tuning slide should never move unless you want it to. Goldie whistle, which I use, have plumbers tape in the joints. It needs replaced now and again with heavy use but it's very effective.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Use Teflon tape (also called plumber's tape)
which you can get at the hardware store.

Or you can email Nick Metcalf and ask him.
He's fairly harmless :)
Captain_Kelly

Post by Captain_Kelly »

I emailed him earlier,just thought I'd ask here too.Thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup:
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

how do you like the ethnicwind low D? i have considered nick's stuff for a long time, but there aren't a ton of reviews. his videos look and sound good.
what are your thoughts? have you played other low d's to compare it with? which whistle is it (ceol pro, brass, etc?)
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

The ptfe will work in extrememly wide gaps. Thin as it is, it is still pretty thick when you are talking about the tolerances in a regular tuning slide... it may not go to gether at all. You may think about using some tuning slide grease to fill the gap or something more stiff like rubbing a candle on the joint.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Captain_Kelly

Post by Captain_Kelly »

I do have some grease,but it says for Plastic and wooden whistles only.I have used rosin for my my slippery tuning pegs on my Violin...you think that might be okay to try on the whistle?Again,thanks for the suggestions guys.
dspmusik wrote:how do you like the ethnicwind low D? i have considered nick's stuff for a long time, but there aren't a ton of reviews. his videos look and sound good.
what are your thoughts? have you played other low d's to compare it with? which whistle is it (ceol pro, brass, etc?)
I haven't really got the whole pipers grip down just yet,only been playing around with it for a few days now.This is my first Low Whistle and I spent quite a bit of time going through Youtube listening to samples before I decided on this particular model.The model is Fead Dubh Aluminum.I haven't played any other Low D's at all so of course it's my favorite as of now :P When I get a little more comfortable with it I'll throw up some vid's on youtube if anyone would like.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Captain_Kelly wrote:I have used rosin for my my slippery tuning pegs on my Violin...you think that might be okay to try on the whistle?
No, I'd wait to hear from the maker.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

I'm struggling to understand how it slides apart - is this whilst playing? If so, it sounds like it's a return to sender job.
Captain_Kelly

Post by Captain_Kelly »

hoopy mike wrote:I'm struggling to understand how it slides apart - is this whilst playing? If so, it sounds like it's a return to sender job.
No,not while playing.But if I attempt to slide the head up a bit it just falls back down into place,just very loose is all.If I am to pick the whistle up by the head,the body slowly falls completely off :*(
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Hmm. Not good. Any word from the manufacturer?
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

i have a high d whistle that just started doing that. it's a wood whistle with a brass tuning slide, and my only thought is now that it's getting colder, the slight contraction of the wood (and less humidity) is making the slide easier to move.
i think i'm going to try a layer of pipe tape.
also, i look forward to the upcoming vids
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Have you tried the regular tuning slide mix of beeswax and vaseline?
My brain hurts

Captain_Kelly

Post by Captain_Kelly »

So Nick suggested Teflon tape so I'm gonna give that a try.Does aluminum have any issues when it's subjected to cold like wood does?I do keep the whistle in my bedroom that's never heated near a window that is always open and it's been getting pretty cold around here lately,low 40's.Could that be the cause of the loose slide?
Dain

Post by Dain »

Not if both parts are made of aluminium, shrinkage due to a cold should be the same in both parts.

Just tape the whole joint with a tape. It won't look nice, but it wont split, and there will be no air leakage.