East Coast USA Uilleann crafters

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Clarinetcat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

East Coast USA Uilleann crafters

Post by Clarinetcat »

Hello all!

I'm considering ordering a new practice or 1/2 set of Uilleann Pipes.
If I understand correctly, it is recommended to purchase from a crafter in the area (or at least on the same continent).

I live in Pennsylvania. After some poking around here I found a link on the UilleannObession site listing crafters...
http://www.uilleannobsession.com/links_makers.html

Does anyone have any personal experience with instruments from these crafters?

Seth Gallagher (within 2 hours of me)
http://www.uilleann.com/

Nick Whitmer (within 2 hours of me)
http://mysite.verizon.net/nwhitmer/index.htm

BC Childress (within 5 hours)
http://www.bcpipes.com/

Tim and Stephanie Benson (within 5 hours)
http://bensonandcorneliuspipes.bandzoogle.com/home.cfm

Tim Britton (1,000 miles)
http://www.skep.com/britton/

Any other crafters I should consider?

I found this website but did not register yet, is it worth looking into?

https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=UILLEANN

Thanks in advance for any direction you may be able to provide!

P.S. Yes, I understand pipes are expensive.
I'm am looking to invest in a quality set.
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
fancypiper

Re: East Coast USA Uilleann crafters

Post by fancypiper »

I have a Seth Gallagher C chanter and according to what I have seen, heard and played, Seth is one of the top makers. The C chanter must be easy to reed, because my first attempt succeeded. He uses a tapered staple for the reed which I find to be easier to tune to my satisfaction.

I have a Nick Whitmer D chanter, currently needing a reed. Both of his reeds gave up the ghost on a camping trip that was rather damp. He uses hobby tubing for a staple and his reed design is Tim Britton's design.

And, of course, David Quinn and Benedict Koehler are great makers/reed gurus, but I think their books are currently closed.

Also, I suggest you join the Irish Pipers Club, NPU and subscribe to the piper's mailing list.
Clarinetcat

Post by Clarinetcat »

Thanks for the reponse, fancypiper... much appreciated!

Also, if anyone has any info to share and would rather not post thoughts or opinions about crafters on public forum, please feel free to send a private message. :thumbsup:
Time is a great teacher.

- Hector Berlioz
Ed Harrison
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ed Harrison »

Hello,

All that you have listed are excellent pipe makers.

Until you learn to make your own reeds, I would suggest going with those that are near you.

....... Ed
PadraigMI

Post by PadraigMI »

I have a concert pitch Tim Britton chanter that I love very much.
Hope this helps.
P.
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

I forgot to mention Mark Hillmann (board name is uillmann IIRC) who makes pipes in Silver Springs, MD. I don't think he has a web site, but he posts here occasionally.
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

fancypiper wrote:I forgot to mention Mark Hillmann (board name is uillmann IIRC) who makes pipes in Silver Springs, MD. I don't think he has a web site, but he posts here occasionally.
I stopped making uilleann pipes three years ago. Clarinetcat, get the very best set you can find, and don't put too much emphasis on how close the maker is to you. Since there isn't a good pipemaker in your town, you might just as well have them shipped across the ocean or across the country.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

there's more than a few Seth sets in PA, clarinetcat. Not to mention all those in NY, NJ, DE, etc :D Tim's originally from just outside Philly. BC's work is top notch too, I got a great set o drone reeds off him. Never handled any of Whitmer or Benson's work personally, but you'd get a good pipe out of all these pipemakers, in my opinion.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

I have a Benson and Cornelius 3/4 set and really like it. I also have a Gallagher B half set and really like that. So you can't go wrong with either maker. Of the makers you listed, Tim is the youngest and has the shortest waiting list. The chanter Tim made for me is excellent, extremely comfortable and has great sound.

If you are just starting out, I'd just look at getting a quality used set from a known maker while you figure out what you like. This way you can start playing right away and not worry about waiting list time etc. Quality sets hold their value so the resale is pretty easy. There are some great sets on sale right now over at http://www.uilleannobsession.com/classifieds.html

Get to a tionól and try out lots of sets and see what tickles your fancy.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

uillmann wrote:
fancypiper wrote:I forgot to mention Mark Hillmann (board name is uillmann IIRC) who makes pipes in Silver Springs, MD. I don't think he has a web site, but he posts here occasionally.
I stopped making uilleann pipes three years ago. Clarinetcat, get the very best set you can find, and don't put too much emphasis on how close the maker is to you. Since there isn't a good pipemaker in your town, you might just as well have them shipped across the ocean or across the country.
Tell him the story of Woody Guthrie!
KAD

Post by KAD »

Hi clarinetcat,

Are you coming to the Northeast tionol (pipers' gathering) this weekend? It would be an opportunity to hear and try, and talk to owners of, sets of pipes by almost all the makers you have mentioned so far. And I think there are a few folks coming up from Pennsylvania.

http://www.eastcoastpipers.com

Cheers,
KAD

P.S. If you're willing to go as far west as Tim Britton, then Kirk Lynch becomes an option -- anybody know whether he's still making pipes?
Clarinetcat

Post by Clarinetcat »

KAD wrote:Hi clarinetcat,

Are you coming to the Northeast tionol (pipers' gathering) this weekend? It would be an opportunity to hear and try, and talk to owners of, sets of pipes by almost all the makers you have mentioned so far. And I think there are a few folks coming up from Pennsylvania.

http://www.eastcoastpipers.com

Cheers,
KAD
Hi KAD, that gathering looks great, but it's a tad short notice for me... even if I could drive up to attend I wouldn't be able to stay the entire weekend. However, the website looks great, and the lineup is impressive... I'll have to keep it in mind for next year I guess!
Time is a great teacher.

- Hector Berlioz
Jarlath.I
Tell us something.: I'm an uilleann piper currently living in Sitka AK. I am looking for information on piping and am looking forward to meet other pipers.

Post by Jarlath.I »

KAD wrote:If you're willing to go as far west as Tim Britton, then Kirk Lynch becomes an option -- anybody know whether he's still making pipes?
I have a set ordered from Kirk Lynch. He told me that he is only making practice sets and half sets at this time. When he catches up he will start making regulators again. I ordered about a year ago and he told me it would be a two year wait.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

One definition of the term Crafter ye keep using is Skill in evasion or deception; guile. whence cameth the term crafty and there are some o those oot there... :really:
The term Pipemaker is good enough and doesnae taint anyone, its a bit like saying Celtic Music whitever the feck that is...just ma wee thought fer the noo...peace and lerv to ye all :love: :love: :love:
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.