Wood flutes under a $1000

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bagpiper2
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Wood flutes under a $1000

Post by bagpiper2 »

I've been playing a polymer flute for a while. I'm ready for a wooden flute. How about a Casey Burns, or Skip Healy, Sweetheart, M and E? Those are the only ones I know Looking for big sound.
Kirk B

Re: Wood flutes under a $1000

Post by Kirk B »

Maybe Fancois Baubet?

http://francoisbaubet.50webs.com/
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

If you're looking for a keyless flute under $1000, there are loads of possibilities all around the world, but you may want to buy from an american maker though. Have a look at the makers list, sticky on this forum.
John Gallagher makes great pratten-style flutes, but I don't know how much he asks for a keyless one...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Might be worth going through this list

http://sites.google.com/site/cfwoodenflutemakerslist/

Seems I cross posted with Othannen
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Wood flutes under a $1000 [EDIT]

Post by plunk111 »

John Gallagher charges around $1300 for a keyless (with slide) flute, but it is WELL worth it. I think John is the most "under the radar" maker out there. I'm driving down to see him tomorrow to pick up a replacement head he made for my William Hall flute.

My favorite in your price range is one of Terry McGee's "Grey Larsen Preferred" models. I ordered new from him and had it within a week (he had one in stock at the time). He's great to deal with and has a superb flute. I've owned M&E, Burns, Healy (fife), and Sweetheart Resonance, btw.

[EDIT]: My VERY bad, Dave Copley's flutes completely slipped my mind - and I currently own/play one and have owned two others (current is delrin, I've owned delrin and blackwood previously). Dave is a definite strong second in the under-$1000 price category!!!
Last edited by plunk111 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
daveogden

Post by daveogden »

The Glen Schultz flute listed by PanCelticPiper (Richard Cook in Tustin, CA) for $500. further down on this forum is a great deal. Glen made the Tin Weasel whistles as well as flutes, sadly he's no longer with us but his flutes and whistles are prized by their owners. I have a similar Schultz flute to this one and it's a very nice flute, plays easily with a nice solid bottom D and is very smooth all the way up to G in the 3rd octave. I paid $700. for mine used a few years ago.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Dave Copley makes a real cracker for under $1000. http://copleyflutes.com/catalog.html
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Second the suggestion to keep an eye on the used forum here. Have been plenty of great "pre-owned" flutes :lol: listed there in your range. Don't forget to peruse the "Sold and Old" section for overlooked gems.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

olwell allwood should be in your range.
i agree about J Gallagher work, i love his flutes.
i have two C.B flutes up for sale, both are really great.
dow

Re: Wood flutes under a $1000 [EDIT]

Post by dow »

plunk111 wrote:... My favorite in your price range is one of Terry McGee's "Grey Larsen Preferred" models. ...
And it just so happens that I've got one for sale in the used forum as we speak... er.. write. :)

Edit: Rats! eilam got his plug in ahead of me. The Burns flutes are nice, too.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

Kirk B wrote:Maybe Fancois Baubet?

http://francoisbaubet.50webs.com/
i have a McGee, so i'd like to recommend his... but while i'm at it, i just found another youtube video of one of François Baubet's flutes; he also has a bunch of links to mp3s and youtube videos on his site

http://francoisbaubet.50webs.com/How_does_it_sound.html

he lists his keyless flute (with slide and rings) at 450 euros; according to xe.com that's about $627.84. that's a pretty good price for a wood flute with a slide and rings.

btw, if you decide to go with one of Casey Burns', i'd like to read a review... :)
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
hydromel89
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hydromel89 »

All the above plus : Glen Lebot, Geert Lejeune, Louis Jourdan, Solène Lesouef, Casey Burns, Phil Bleazey, M&E.
planxtydt

Post by planxtydt »

If I had $1000 to spend on a flute it would certainly be one of Olwell's All-Wood designs. You can get a blackwood flute in one of three bore sizes for $950, and if you want separate LH & RH sections then it will be $1000. One year wait. No tuning slide but Aaron has designed a simple little ring that you can insert into the head socket when the flute warms up.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The above plus Martin Doyle whose flutes may be in your range depending on the exchange rate between Euro and Dollars.