Checking the market pulse....

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Checking the market pulse....

Post by Casey Burns »

Here is a question for everyone:

If you could get a new 4 or 6 keyed flute with a tuning slide and rings from a top maker for say, $1400-1500, would you buy it?
keithsandra

Re: Checking the market pulse....

Post by keithsandra »

Now? No.

Later? Maybe, but no rings, no special slide, and NOT wood.

Hope this is helpful.
Last edited by keithsandra on Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

Sorry...no. I am happy with what I have.
Arbo
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

Tough call.
I think I would be interested but I'm not sold on the need of a full set of keys for Irish Trad anyway so it wouldn't be too high on my list of needs at the moment and it'd take a bit to work up the cash for something like that.

So I guess I'm saying maybe I would buy one but it wouldn't be anytime soon.

On the other hand I am waffling about retrofitting a key or two on mine when I send it in for a tuning slide and rings, (decided on the slide and rings, haven't decided on any keys yet) so changes to your key prices would be of heavy interest to me...
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I don't think there's enough data in the question. Leave aside for the moment that I would only be interested in a flute with 8 keys or possibly more (extra Bb touch, low B, trill keys maybe). You'd need to know what it was made of, both in terms of the wood and of the keys. You'd need to know whether all of it was hand made and made solely by that maker or not, plus a whole load of other questions.

I'm guessing that Casey is attempting to suggest a situation where one could get a top-class flute for a really cheap price. But I'm not sure that's sensible/possible. I think you've done a great thing, Casey in offering your Folk flutes as entry level instruments at a price which ought to be eminently affordable, whilst at the same time continuing to make what I'm told are first rate instruments (I haven't seen one). But is this an idea about making a sort of 'intermediate level' flute?
david_h

Post by david_h »

A couple of years ago Casey I would possibly have bought it. Then, I bought a standard flute from you with the idea that I might get keys retrofitted. The cost of that is a powerful incentive to work on the cross-fingering. If it became available now I might be more inclined to ask if the same technology would yield a compatible 5-key body section.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Casey Burns wrote:Here is a question for everyone:

If you could get a new 4 or 6 keyed flute with a tuning slide and rings from a top maker for say, $1400-1500, would you buy it?
I'm currently looking for such a flute, so my answer is yes. I'd be willing to pay up to $2000 actually.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

This is an interesting thread for me as I hope to be in the market for a keyed flute. I'm a fairly experienced whistle player but have only been playing flute for a few months. The fingering is easy enough but I've struggled with the tone. I bought a new flute when I began a few months ago but didn't make significant tone progress until a friend leant me another flute a couple of weeks ago. I won't say the flute makes as I'm not yet qualified to make a judgement but I have found the second flute significantly more suitable to my fledgling embouchure.

So at this stage, yes, I would buy a six keyed flute (I play more Scots than Irish music in general) from a top maker maybe next year at that price. The waiting list would also be a consideration. You can get a good keyless relatively quickly at round that price or slightly less. Also, how would a budget keyed flute from a top maker compare to a keyless for round the same price? What compromises would have to be made. I think it would be a tough decision without first trying the flute.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

i'm just a beginner, so i'm thinking what i have to say might not be that relevant, but i since i'm running a website i try to keep my eye on pricing and availability...

i do have to say that i'm not personally that interested in keyed flutes; i have several keyless, and i love them. playing trad music, i haven't had the need for keys.

but i expect someday, as i play for a kirtan band as well (not on flute... yet :), that i might be mored interested in playing keyed flutes. so got one, off this board, for $350 (an antique boxwood). so it would be hard for me to justify paying so much more for one, personally.

that being said, if i ever got serious about playing keyed flutes, i would expect to pay more for a new fully-keyed flute, and would be pleasantly surprised to find one for less.

btw, i'm assuming we're talking about blackwood, boxwood, mopane... if we're talking about a "student" flute made of rosewood, maple, walnut, something like that... then i'd compare it to the sweetheart: he has a 6-key rosewood flute for $1395 and a 4-key rosewood for $1095. i'm personally not a big fan of sweethearts, but a 4-key flute (with rings, but no slide) for a little over $1000 is a pretty good deal, if i wanted to try a keyed flute.

http://www.sweetheartflute.com/keyedflutes.html

not sure how many he sells; i never see them come up for sale, so i'm guessing not so many (btw, i see your folk flutes come up all the time, and they hold their value pretty well... :)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Maybe....depends on who the maker is :wink: :wink:.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

My assumption is that this is a theoretical question - not are you willing to buy right now.

I'm curious who the heck wouldn't want a good flute by a good maker with 4-6 keys at that price? If Casey, or Patrick Olwell or Hammy Hamilton were to offer up a flute in blackwood, mopane or boxwood for $1,500 with 4 or 6 keys - why wouldn't people jump at the chance?

It's a great price, and possible reflective of the global price adjustment/correction going on in all markets. Want to buy a house these days, they're cheaper than they were 3 years ago (much cheaper proportionally than what Casey is suggesting), car prices are going down on many models or extras added for no more cost, motorcycles and scooters are dropping in price.

Casey, if you're looking into this, I say go for it. I think you'd find a large market. Well...a relatively large market - we are talking traditional flute here.

I sold a 4 key rosewood sweetheart flute BTW...it was really a nice flute, but I was playing with a box player whose box was so flat I needed a tuning slide. These used to sell for $695 just a few years back which was a real bargain...I think the current price is a little high (especially when compared to the price of their one keyed flute).

While we all live and die flutes, they're luxury items and will only sell at what the market will carry.

Just my $.02 worth.

Eric
eilam

Post by eilam »

yes, i'd jump on the opportunity.......later i'll figure out how to recover financially ;)
eric, i'm pretty sure i have your old flute......rosewood..4 key...great player and great flute for the money.
i think it went to Russ in SLC.....then he traded it in at Irishflutestore........and i got it (maybe 2 years ago?).......but now i'm ready to pass it on.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Casey Burns wrote:Here is a question for everyone:

You mean, like matching Gilles Léhart's prices?
Hup

Post by Hup »

Yes! Of course. I'd be looking at a flute with a powerful low register though.
Casey Burns

Post by Casey Burns »

Its a possibility that I am looking into, and so I wanted to query the "market".

Its kind of embarrassing to sell my 6 keyed flutes for $3800 in blackwood with tuning slide when some are selling some great 19th century originals for a similar price. On the other hand, if you have small hands that wouldn't work with those old flutes, my flutes or those of other makers who do narrower finger spacings are sometimes your only choice.

With this economy few are beating a path to my door for keyed flutes frankly and I actually only have a few orders for these currently. I don't mind, as my hourly wage is better with the keyless flutes.

Thanks for everyones' responses. Most useful!

Casey