Full Rudall (on ebay)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Full Rudall (on ebay)

Post by Gabriel »

I guess it would be pointless to try keeping it secret...so here it is. A very late Rudall Carte, appearing to be in quite a nice condition.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... SS:DE:1123
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Full Rudall (on ebay)

Post by Jayhawk »

So do you think he meant to post it on German ebay with an English description? Whatever happened to consistency? :lol:

Eric
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I think he tried to sell this flute earlier this year on eBay and it didn't meet reserve.
As my catalogue notes show, it was purchased at an auction house last year for ~$3,500+, ergo the price.
He's already got a bunch in it.
Nice flute.

he's a reputable seller too. I've dealt with him in the past.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Jayhawk wrote:So do you think he meant to post it on German ebay with an English description? Whatever happened to consistency? :lol:
I'm just using german ebay with "worldwide search" enabled for convenience. I'm more fluent in german, you know.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Looks a beauty. Is that embouchure hole cut just slightly out of line with the headjoint? I mean, I know it doesn't really matter if it is, but it just looks a little out of line to me. Looks a gorgeous cut though.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Gabriel wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:So do you think he meant to post it on German ebay with an English description? Whatever happened to consistency? :lol:
I'm just using german ebay with "worldwide search" enabled for convenience. I'm more fluent in german, you know.
I do know why you're using German ebay, but I'm clearly an ebay idiot...didn't know there was a global search. It just looked to me like he posted on German ebay yet wrote the description in English. My mistake... :puppyeyes:

Eric
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Look at the given dimensions, folks! This looks to me likely to be a HP flute, at least in head+barrel length. Might come down to 440 ok with a new, longer head...
I'm in work, so can't check the McGee tables easily - anyone? Much would also depend on knowing more about the body scaling.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Jayhawk wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
I do know why you're using German ebay, but I'm clearly an ebay idiot...didn't know there was a global search. It just looked to me like he posted on German ebay yet wrote the description in English. My mistake... :puppyeyes:

Eric
No problem. After doing a search, you should be able to tick "worldwide" on the left to widen your search to all ebay sites. Or use advanced search instead. I get flute-like objects from China and Rudalls from the States, but stay on the german site. It's quite handy.

@Jem, yep, HP is quite likely. RH2 appears to be huge, seen in reference to the rest of the lower part's dimensions. Also, the blocks appear to be quite clunky for me, at least not as elegant as on other Rudalls I've seen...and note how short the foot joint is. I think the slightly angled embouchure has been seen elsewere as well, just can't remember were...but it was a band/HP flute.
Terry's data features two 7xxx Rudalls with a lower joint length of about 130mm and a footjoint up to 7mm shorter than the 6xxx series, resulting in a footjoint of the same length like the lower middle joint. Terry describes #7120 on his site, which seems to be at home at a=452Hz - high pitch.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

I did think it looked a bit short, Jem ...
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Berti66 »

why does alan ginsberg sound so familiar to me (the seller) and I cannot put a finger on it.....was he on chiff?
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

You're probably thinking of Allen Ginsberg who was beat.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Berti66 wrote:why does alan ginsberg sound so familiar to me (the seller) and I cannot put a finger on it.....was he on chiff?
Lots of mention of pipemaker (and flutemaker) Alan Ginsberg in the pipe forum.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Berti66 »

[quote="kkrell"][quote="Berti66"]why does alan ginsberg sound so familiar to me (the seller) and I cannot put a finger on it.....was he on chiff?[/quote]

Lots of mention of pipemaker (and flutemaker) Alan Ginsberg in the pipe forum.[/quote]

thanks kevin! yes I was thinking he makes flutes!
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Does look like a nice RC! I agree that the head would have to be pulled out about 1" to bring it in 440 htz, but the foot won't be flat, so that is a good thing!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon