Need for speed...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Need for speed...

Post by Steve Bliven »

For those of you who are active session participants—

Before stumbling into a session, what tempos (or range of tempos) should one expect for the various types of tunes?
Jigs, reels, hornpipes, slides, polkas, etc. ?

If this has been discussed previously, apologies, but I wasn't able to find it using the search function.

Thanks and best wishes.
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Need for speed...

Post by plunk111 »

There is no "right" answer to this question - it depends on the people at the session. I can say that if YOU start a tune, you can usually dictate the speed. Most people are very tolerant of beginners and will play a little more slowly than they're used to. You have to be reasonable, though... Don't start a jig at a slow air tempo and expect people to "obey" you! Your bodhran player has a lot to do with this as well. Our (Gallowglass, Wheeling, WV) Monday sessions go at a variety of tempos, but usually at a fairly good clip. I, personally, like to play a little slower just 'cause I think it sounds nicer and you can really hear all the nuances, but that is just me...

Your best bet is to go to a session and just listen to see what the "mood" is. You don't even need to bring an instrument! Whistles are kinda nice in that you can "whip it out" if it looks like you WILL fit in or just keep it in your pocket if you aren't comfortable. The Parks Walkabout is especially good for this!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I find beginners often make the other mistake, which is playing much faster than they can. I'd prefer very slow with good rhythm than fast with bad rhythm... as we say here in french, "too much is like not enough" :-)
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Let me rephrase —

At approximately what speed/tempo does your session play the various types of tunes? (With the caveat that the tempo may alter somewhat from one tune to another to allow for expression.) Just looking for a ballpark number here.

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

You're going to get fuzzy answers because it's a fuzzy question. :-) Depends on the session, the location, the tune, who's playing, the mood, the lead instrument, etc. Too many variables, and wide ranges. For example, at our sessions:

Reels: 90 to 130 (in 2)
Jigs: 100 to 140 (in 2)
Hornpipes: 140 to 180 (in 4)

The lower end is pretty relaxed, the upper end near the limit of musicality. The most common tempos are somewhere in between. And hornpipes may be played more as reels, single jigs faster as slides, and so on.

Check out the Foinn Seisiún settings on the Comhaltas site:

http://comhaltas.ie/shop/detail/foinn_s ... _volume_1/
http://comhaltas.ie/shop/detail/foinn_s ... _volume_2/

These might be considered typical tempos, to give you something to go by.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Another way to answer would be with a question back at you:

How fast do the people you listen to play? If you're listening to good irish music, then you're going to get a pretty typical cross section of speeds that will be very similar to what might be found at any given session. A follow-up question would be: who do you listen to?

As Azalin said speed isn't really what's important. Far better to play slower and get the right phrasing, rhythm and feel than to rush into trying to play "up to session speed" (whatever that is!). I know several musicians that sound rushed no matter what speed they play at, probably because they were in too much of a hurry to "get up to speed".
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Guru —

Thanks very much. That's the sort of range info I was looking for.

Best wishes.

Steve
Clarinetcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Clarinetcat »

Steve Bliven wrote:At approximately what speed/tempo does your session play the various types of tunes? (With the caveat that the tempo may alter somewhat from one tune to another to allow for expression.) Just looking for a ballpark number here.
MTGuru wrote: Reels: 90 to 130 (in 2)
Jigs: 100 to 140 (in 2)
Hornpipes: 140 to 180 (in 4)

The lower end is pretty relaxed, the upper end near the limit of musicality. The most common tempos are somewhere in between.

I know this is an older thread, but I want to thank you for this info MTGuru... I was searching for some info on average ITM tempos this evening and found this thread. :D

I also found an interesting article about ITM "performance speed" if anyone cares to give it a look:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30739579/A-Sh ... rish-Music
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

@Clarinetcat: thanks for the link, very interesting!

see also this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68380&p=897516&hilit=speed#p897516

Looking at the figures given there for videos at http://comhaltas.ie we get roughly these statistics:

Reels: 90 to 120 (in 2)
Jigs: 100 to 130 (in 2)
Hornpipes: 70 to 90 (in 2)

i.e. statistically slightly slower than MTG's figures at the fast end for jigs and reels, same for hornpipes. I guess speed can get pushed to the extreme in sessions.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

hans wrote:...statistically slightly slower than MTG's figures at the fast end for jigs and reels, same for hornpipes. I guess speed can get pushed to the extreme in sessions.
It's probably an imperial to metric conversion thing...
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

This thread puts me in mind of a quote by the great pianist Artur Rubenstein regarding performance tempo. Talking about classical music, he felt that "most people play fast music too fast, and slow music too slowly". Seems to apply to session music too sometimes.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!