I got my first whistle!! (pic)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I got my first whistle!! (pic)

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Great! It's all downhill from here. :lol:
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I wish you well. The Sweetone is a middle-of-the-road whistle, and ought to be a good choice for one's first whistle, I think. I started on a Soodlum's brass D.
Reasonable person
Walden
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

You guys lucky. Can you believe there's no way to find Clarkes in France, be it a classic or Sweetone ? All we have here is Generations and an occasional Walton...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2003-02-11 18:15 ]</font>
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-02-11 18:38, touw wrote:
It didn't come with a carrying bag of any sort, and I am handy with needle and thread, I was wondering if it'd be ok to make a sort of draw-string bag to keep it in? Would that hurt it in any way? Also, do they make cases for tinwhistles like they do for clarinet and flute?

And also, is it possible to blow too hard and damage the whistle? I have been just playing around with it some before I start to actually 'try' anything and I was wondering if you can blow too hard?

I'm...probably annoying with so many questions, I know...sorry about that. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: touw on 2003-02-11 18:40 ]</font>
Having a little bag or case to put it in won't hurt it in the slightest...my Dixon, O Briain and Elf Songs all reside in their own individual pouches within the greater protection of my gig bag, and they're the happier for it. You may want to swab the whistle out after playing before you put it away if you don't want the bag to get soggy...that's all.

I don't think you can damage the whistle by blowing too hard...I've used mine for obscene phone call repellent on occasion (put it next to the receiver and really let 'er rip...somewhere out there is a semi-deaf pervert now!), and I must confess I've even used a sharp blast on the whistle to get the kids' attention on the playground on one or two occasions :wink:. Tin whistles are pretty tough instruments...they don't damage that easily. Some basic rules of thumb: Don't leave it in the car on a hot day (the plastic head may melt), don't slam it in a car door, don't use it to stir really hot coffee or to clear the garbage disposal, and, since it is a Clarke, and thus presumably made of rolled tin, don't sit on it. Other than that, you're good to go!

Enjoy!

Redwolf

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Redwolf on 2003-02-11 18:50 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Redwolf on 2003-02-11 18:52 ]</font>
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-02-11 18:38, touw wrote:
I was wondering if it'd be ok to make a sort of draw-string bag to keep it in? Would that hurt it in any way?
It would be fine.
Also, do they make cases for tinwhistles like they do for clarinet and flute?
There are cases available. The whistleshop.com and other online whistle dealers have some cases available that would hold several whistles.
And also, is it possible to blow too hard and damage the whistle? I have been just playing around with it some before I start to actually 'try' anything and I was wondering if you can blow too hard?
No. Blow it as hard as you can. It won't damage it. It only will damage your own eardrums. :wink:
I'm...probably annoying with so many questions, I know...sorry about that. :smile:
No, they're fine questions.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

bump
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Touw,

Great choice for a first whistle! I got my dad a bunch of whistles last year to try to encourage him to play, and he much prefered the Clarke Sweetone as being the easiest not to get sour notes from.

Like Redwolf said, you may need to dry it, or let it air out a bit, after prolonged playing. The seam down the inside of the tube can be a moisture trap, and you may eventually get some rusting - but by the time that happens, you'll probably have acquired several other whistles, just to see how they sound, so it shouldn't be a tragedy.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Sara

Post by Sara »

<marquee>Good luck learning the whistle!!!</marquee>

The whistle is addictive, so be careful!! :smile: :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sara on 2003-02-13 10:58 ]</font>
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Welcome to the world of obsession.

For carrying a fragile whistle (tinplate or Little Black), I suggest sawing off a suitable length of PVC pipe about 1/2 to 3/4 inch diameter, whatever is wide enough to slip the whistle into it. You may be careful, but not everyone else is! You could always cover the pipe with a cloth bag, which would undoubtedly look nicer.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Jack

Post by Jack »

edit
Last edited by Jack on Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
serpent

Post by serpent »

On 2003-02-11 18:14, Zubivka wrote:
You guys lucky. Can you believe there's no way to find Clarkes in France, be it a classic or Sweetone ? All we have here is Generations and an occasional Walton...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2003-02-11 18:15 ]</font>
Personally, I like the look of the ZoobTone MooseHead myself! :grin:
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

On 2003-02-11 18:00, touw wrote:
The picture is really crummy, you can blame that on photoisland:

It's a Clark Sweetone, and it was $6.18, but the man sold it to me for $5.50 because he tried to trick me into buying a slide whistle and I told him that wasn't a tinwhistle.

I'm also ordering a book, cd, and my second whistle from the whistle shop and I have a songbook coming from eBay.... :smile:
Hrm...got his first, then already has a second, a book, cd and songbook on the way.

Oh, someone gave it to him BAAAAAAAADDD... :grin:

Aodhan