Book of tunes that aren't Irish?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sherriev
antispam: No

Book of tunes that aren't Irish?

Post by sherriev »

Hi all,

Was curious if anyone had a tunebook out there for the whistle that isn't based off of celtic music. Would love to try playing something different!

-S
fearfaoin

Re: Book of tunes that aren't Irish?

Post by fearfaoin »

Does it really need to be specifically for whistle?
Look through a bunch of, say, old time books in
the music store and see if there are a bunch of
tunes with one or two sharps in the key signature
(or even 3 if you're feeling spicy) which stay
between the D below the staff and the D above.

Or country, pop, whatever you're into. (Jazz can
get into a lot of accidentals, though, so that might
be a bit harder, you have use some discretion there.)
Fiddle books are often a good place to start in other
genres. I have a nice Cajun fiddle book that's fun on
whistle.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

How about this from our own L.E.McCullough? A nice selection of fairly easy tunes from around the world. Note the customer review by The Undisputed Dale Wisely.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

Ahhhhh. Someone after my own heart. I don't play ITM. I play all kinds of other stuff. I just love the sound of these instruments. I have a collection of sheet music, mostly for piano, that if my house were on fire, that is the thing that I would save. I keep meaning to put the bookcase on wheels for quick escape.

Here is a link to a Fake book. click here This is just one of many. Usually they have a black cover. Your local book store (like Books A Million) should have a few for sale. The songs have a melody line and if I remember correctly, a guitar chord. You can get 100's of songs, something like 500 for $50 in a nice bound book. Usually, the books have a theme, like Rock, Pop, Jazz, that kind of stuff.

Wikipedia also has an entry for Fake Books. I don't own any. What I really need to do is just make my own book of my favorite songs to share with my friends. I need a personal secretary.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
AlBrown

Post by AlBrown »

The book I loved when I first started playing whistle is The Fifer's Delight by Ralph Sweet, which is available from the Sweetheart Flute company website. Lots of Irish and Scots favorites, but lots of other great tunes, contradance, Canadian, New England. Highly recommended!
walrii

Post by walrii »

You can surf the web for traditional tunes in all sorts of genres. There's quite a few bluegrass tunes available online. I have several books of folk songs with melody line and guitar chords; most of them are in whistle-friendly keys. In short, there's lots of music out there!
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have a lot of non-Irish tunes. I print them and put them into a notebook. Many of them are hymns. If necessary I transpose them to D or G. Don't forget libraries. They often have tune books.
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

A good source for traditional Irish and American (Old Timey, New England, Bluegrass, Southwestern, etc.) tunes is the Fiddler's Fakebook by David Brody. Published by Oak. Good range of styles and most of the tunes work well on whistle.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

As mentioned fife music has tunes that have come from different traditions. I was playing retreat (I think) and someone started to sing along with because they knew it as a church hymn. Notation is usually in the key of D.

Some tunes are in several different traditions. I have heard some tunes played in old time string sessions, fife music, and ITM. "Thus I Stand Like A Turk" in The Beggar's Opera was based off of the tune from an old ITM tune called "lumps of Pudding". How they were played was what changed.

It would be interesting to see some other tunes that are played on simple system instruments like the shinobue and Quena played transposed to a whistle friendly key, and the different style and ornaments pointed out.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denis

Post by Denis »

This is an interesting page with different collections:

http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/abc.html

perhaps of interest.
pipsqueak

Post by pipsqueak »

Wikifonia is an nice place. Lots of sheet music, and you can even transpose to a different key! Say you want to have a go at Nature Boy. You type in the title in the search box, and the sheet music pops up in your browser. Turns out it is in E minor, with a low A# as the lowest note. Too low for a D whistle. So you click "transpose" and choose the key +5, no sharps, no flats and there it is in a more convenient A minor. Not that it is an easy tune anyway. Lots of those whaddayacallem incidentals, waiting to create unpleasant incidents in you performance. But that is not Wikifonias fault...
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

fearfaoin wrote: Or country, pop, whatever you're into. (Jazz can
get into a lot of accidentals, though, so that might
be a bit harder, you have use some discretion there.)
Fiddle books are often a good place to start in other
genres. I have a nice Cajun fiddle book that's fun on
whistle.
I think it's worth pointing out that if you have the right whistle, you can get decent G# and A# with cross-fingerings, so the only notes that really need to be half-holed all the time are Fnat and D#. Not all whistles are created equal in this respect, however. I don't think many, if any, whistle makers make this a design priority, you just have to find the ones that work the best. I think straightahead jazz is a stretch on a whistle, but with a combination of half-holing and cross-fingering, jazzy style is attainable. That puts more music into the whistle's range.

Ubizmo
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

2 Blessed 2B Stressed
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

I like to play jazz tunes on whistle: Sweet Georgia Brown, Take the A Train, All Of Me, Scrapple From the Apple, etc., plus various blues tunes and "I got rhythm" heads. Having a decent cross-fingered G# helps with these tunes. When I ordered my D and C whistles from Hans Bracker I asked him if could make them with a usable cross-fingered G#. So he made them with the 3rd tone-hole a little smaller than normal. This makes it a little harder to half-hole the 3rd hole but makes for a pretty good cross-fingered G#. The Bb cross-finger works well also and with the C nat. thumb-hole these whistles are probably as close to full chromatic as you can get without adding keywork. Good whistles for playing jazz (and everything else).
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

R Small wrote:I like to play jazz tunes on whistle: Sweet Georgia Brown, Take the A Train, All Of Me, Scrapple From the Apple, etc., plus various blues tunes and "I got rhythm" heads. Having a decent cross-fingered G# helps with these tunes. When I ordered my D and C whistles from Hans Bracker I asked him if could make them with a usable cross-fingered G#. So he made them with the 3rd tone-hole a little smaller than normal. This makes it a little harder to half-hole the 3rd hole but makes for a pretty good cross-fingered G#. The Bb cross-finger works well also and with the C nat. thumb-hole these whistles are probably as close to full chromatic as you can get without adding keywork. Good whistles for playing jazz (and everything else).
That's a useful heads up on the Bracker. Maybe there should be a separate thread about whistles with good cross-fingerings.

For now, I'll mention that the Parks Ghost is a champ. In the first octave, recorder Bb works (XOXXOO), which is, in my experience, unusual on a whistle. The XXOXXX Gb works well too, and both notes are strong and clear.

Ubizmo