5 Tunes you Hate

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: 5 Tunes you Hate

Post by LorenzoFlute »

As said before, some over-played tunes do get on my nerves, but I don't hate them because they're good tunes after all, I just don't like playing them. There are other tunes that I find simply useless, not horrible but I don't see the reason to play them, they're just not enjoyable to me. For some reason I tend to skip the battering ram when I find it on an album, and salamanca too but is kind of fun to play after all.
Will You Come Home With Me? is one of the worse I've heard, I usually can't stop saying "NOOOO" aloud when somebody starts it...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Yeah, I don't really know about Tam Lin. Don't play it. Could on my silver flute, but I don't bring that to sessions.

I think it's one of those tunes that when I hear a bunch of fiddles blasting away at their low notes in a minor key in unison, it reminds me of the music played for US football films and the narrator says things like, "On any given Sunday in the NFL...", "The frozen tundra of Lambaeu Field..." Kinda' like it for that reason.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Othannen wrote: Will You Come Home With Me? is one of the worse I've heard, I usually can't stop saying "NOOOO" aloud when somebody starts it...
Aargh, that is a frightening, horrible jig :shock: :tantrum: :boggle: :swear: !
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1220
Denny

Post by Denny »

much easier to "hate" the treatment than the tune
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

jemtheflute wrote:I don't really "hate" any tune, but there are certain old standards I tend to groan inwardly at when they get started at sessions - not because I think they're bad tunes, just 'cos I've played 'em too often....
The Maid of Mount Kisco
Harvest Home
Morrison's Jig
Cooley's Reel
The Primrose Lass
(actually, I haven't played that one so much, but it's an exception that I genuinely if totally irrationally dislike).

I like the Jug of Slugs - not slimy at all, but I kinda concur with Ben about Tam Linn.
Hi Jem

You could always play the "Glasgow Reel" instead :lol: :lol:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

loic wrote:excuse me but what's wrong with Tam Linn ?
You need to ask? :-? :-? :-?
Excuse rejected.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Denny wrote:much easier to "hate" the treatment than the tune
I would have thought history and context would have been the reasons for disliking a tune.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

BigDavy wrote:You could always play the "Glasgow Reel" instead :lol: :lol:
Not around Ben, not even in his current recumbent condition. :cry: :puppyeyes:

On other matters, I blame the harmonium - never a terribly good idea!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I couldn't really think of any until Tam Linn came up.

I used to hate it, but now I think of it as the soundtrack to my next pull of draft. To every thing, there is a purpose. :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

P.S. re: Music for a (n unfortunately & reprehensibly) Found Harmonium, I actually quite like it and it is great fun to play bodhran to! (Which is what I generally do if anyone starts it - I've never seriously applied it to flute.) :thumbsup: :tomato: :waah:

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

When somebody tells me that he hates a tune, my first thought that he doesn't play it very well. Some tunes come alive on their own. Some tunes have to coaxed to come alive. Just like a first date, or my wife, say. It's interesting that people haven't mentioned any tune that I actively dislike. Tam Lin isn't my favorite tune but I haven't ever been able to play it properly - perhaps because I couldn't relate to it? Still- a lot of great players and great bands have recorded it. But what do these people know compared to us: Hamish MacGregor, Seamus Egan, Roger Landes, Skip Healy, Abbey Céilí Band, Iris Nevins, Fairport Convention, Phil Cunningham, The Fureys And Davey Arthur, Micho, Steeleye Span, Marcas O'Murchu.

Some of them don't even bother to post here. Perhaps they are best ignored.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

The question was about opinions. Credentials for having them aren't required.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Julia Delaney wrote:When somebody tells me that he hates a tune, my first thought that he doesn't play it very well. Some tunes come alive on their own. Some tunes have to coaxed to come alive. Just like a first date, or my wife, say. It's interesting that people haven't mentioned any tune that I actively dislike. Tam Lin isn't my favorite tune but I haven't ever been able to play it properly - perhaps because I couldn't relate to it? Still- a lot of great players and great bands have recorded it. But what do these people know compared to us: Hamish MacGregor, Seamus Egan, Roger Landes, Skip Healy, Abbey Céilí Band, Iris Nevins, Fairport Convention, Phil Cunningham, The Fureys And Davey Arthur, Micho, Steeleye Span, Marcas O'Murchu.

Some of them don't even bother to post here. Perhaps they are best ignored.
I don't care. TL is a rubbish tune. I heard it and learnt it quickly, well, after one hearing, basically - two great musos of my acquaintance heard me playing it and went "Wow"!. It's really quite an easy tune. By the end of the followiing week I absolutely hated the thing, with its nasty gimmickry and a second part that just doesn't do anything. Now, I can't play it at all well. On purpose.

MFAFH, OTOH, isn't easy. But it's so horrid that I'm not going to bother to learn how to play it now. Perhaps I should write a tune for a fiddle with one string a bit out of tune, or a slipping tuning peg, or a tune for a flute which plays G# every time you try to play a Cnat. Sounds like a great idea.
loic

Post by loic »

Lots of people here point out that "tunes you don't like are generally tunes you don't play well".
You're right, but as odd as it might appear, I'm not interested in learning tunes I don't like, I have enough work with all these lovely tunes I have to practice... :)
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I don't agree with the "tunes you don't like are generally tunes you don't play well" statement. You don't have to play a tune to decide if you like it or not, ears come before fingers.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute