Eb key? Anyone use it?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Eb Key: Worthwhile or Worthless?

Worthwhile: I use it all the time
77%
Neutral: It's nice if I ever decide to use it but not necessary
23%
Worthless: Never use it
No votes

Total votes: 22

Jim_B1
antispam: No

Eb key? Anyone use it?

Post by Jim_B1 »

I'm thinking about sending my Burns Boxwood Rudall back to have it fitted with a tuning slide and rings.
While I was on his site checking out the options available, I read his section on keys.

I'm not sure I would get a lot of use out of a full complement of keys but I think an argument could be made of a Eb key to be added. I'm just not sure how much use I would get out of it.

How many of you have one and what do you use it for? I haven't seen much that would require it but mostly I play stuff in D, G or C so unless it's an accidental, I probably wouldn't.

Just wondering if the one key would open up a lot of doors for me musically or if it would just be something that would be only of rare usage so not of too much interest.

Added a poll so it's easier to get a consensus on it :)

Any ideas?
Thanks
Last edited by Jim_B1 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Re: Eb key? Anyone use it?

Post by Rob Sharer »

The search function is your friend! :)

In fact, look down the current page of topics and you'll find a while thread devoted to this topic. Better to check for existing threads first before starting a new topic.

Rob

p.s. I don't touch my Eb unless I want to play an Eb.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Rob Sharer wrote:p.s. I don't touch my Eb unless I want to play an Eb.
Aye, Rob's a corker. ;-)
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

ah, you can get pretty close to D# with it too!

sure ya gotta lip it a bit :tomato:

you shouldn't mention Rob's cork until the 2nd page :really:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

Rob Sharer wrote:The search function is your friend! :)
In fact, look down the current page of topics and you'll find a while thread devoted to this topic. Better to check for existing threads first before starting a new topic.
Saw that one but it's not quite the same question. He's already got the key and wants to know how other folks use it. I'm asking if it's worthwhile to have it added or if in general it's only used rarely. Similar but not quite the same question. :) I guess I could make it a poll...

Also, if you search for Eb it ignores it and if you look for Eb Key you get every post with the word key in it so it was less then useful in this case to use the search...
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I use it. It's fun. Adds a bit of unlikely color to a tune. I'd say get it.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I've had one for years and hardly ever use it. If I really want to I'll just shade an E to D# (Eb) by half holing; I think it's easier.
IMO, your money's better spent on a short F or G# key. I've found those much more useful over the years; the F natural key in particular as it makes tunes in D minor or C major or what have you much easier.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm sort of like, if there's no key, I wouldn't be using one, would I, but if the key is there, it's there. Putting aside the tediously mediocre argument that I paid for it after all, I'm going to try to use what's there sooner or later. Sometimes even not by accident. :wink:

I'm a bit of a gearhead; I like keys. It doesn't matter to me how often I use them; they will be used and I like having them at my beck and call. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Here's an observation from a workshop last weekend with Brian Finnegan. And keeping in mind that I'm not a fluter myself.

One of the figures taught involved various shadings on and around D-Eb-E. And one fluter present who played a fully-keyed stick had trouble handling this, because they were so used to venting Eb that their finger habits weren't up to the coordination of not venting it.

So my take-away was more or less: With an Eb key, don't let it become a crutch for your finger habits instead of a resource. Especially if you expect to move between keyed and unkeyed flutes at will.

As for the note ... On whistle I find myself reaching for Eb often enough (half-holed, of course) for coloration - as an alternate leading tone in E Dorian tunes, etc. So I'd probably use the key if I had it.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
AbraXas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by AbraXas »

I rarely use mine. Sometimes when I play Muneires, but never in ITM (so far).
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

This might interest you.

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/keys.html
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I play several ITM tunes that use the Eb key. Also...if you ever want to play in the third octave, it's a very helpful key to have. I also find that unless your flute has a nice sized RH3 hole it's nearly impossible to half hole Eb effectively if it's a slower tune.

Plus, as some wise person on this board once said, it keeps the flute from rolling off a table.

Eric
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jayhawk wrote:Plus, as some wise person on this board once said, it keeps the flute from rolling off a table.
THANK you. I was nigh unto lopping my tongue off, biting it so hard. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Nanohedron wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:Plus, as some wise person on this board once said, it keeps the flute from rolling off a table.
THANK you. I was nigh unto lopping my tongue off, biting it so hard. :wink:
NOW THEN! DON'T let's start on tonguing too, not in the same thread..... :poke:

Vexatious or what?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

It is strange one of the first tunes I learned was "The Moreen" in G min with an E♭ in the third line. With no keys I just half hole in the first two registers and cross finger for the third, but half holing does really shade the note.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."