Nicholson Flutes, any opinions?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jim_B1
antispam: No

Nicholson Flutes, any opinions?

Post by Jim_B1 »

I've been out of the loop for a few years so I've been catching up with the board. It seems like there used to be a lot more chatter about Nicholson flutes but from what I can tell, things have gotten more R&R vs Pratten around here.

Are Nicholson's out of style or is it that all the folks with Nicholson's are just playing so much they aren't posting?

Just wondering...
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Nicholson Flutes, any opinions?

Post by Jon C. »

Jim_B1 wrote:I've been out of the loop for a few years so I've been catching up with the board. It seems like there used to be a lot more chatter about Nicholson flutes but from what I can tell, things have gotten more R&R vs Pratten around here.

Are Nicholson's out of style or is it that all the folks with Nicholson's are just playing so much they aren't posting?

Just wondering...
Are you referring to the original Nicholson's or the modern copies? The Nicholson's Improved made by Clementi and later by Prowse, were kind of a challenge to play in tune. What I did with mine, is turn a new foot for it, and now it plays well in 440. Mine is a smaller holed model, so it was in better tuning with it's self. When I speak of a flat foot, we are talking about 50-60 cents flat! The first flute I was made was a Nicholson's, Terry Mcgee gave me the measurments, I guess he thought it would be a learning experience for me... :swear:
The modern copies, that I have seen, are not actually Nicholson's but Pratten bores with modified tone hole placement.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

Jon C. wrote:Are you referring to the original Nicholson's or the modern copies? .
I guess I'm more interested in the modern copies then the originals but I seem to remember a pretty flourishing market for those originals too... about 5 years ago they were as popular as the Rudall & Carte or the Boosey Pratten's to collectors from what I could tell.

I know Patrick Olwell used to make a Nicholson Improved or something like that and there were a few other makers that had versions of the Nicholson's.

I never got to play one so I was just wondering if they were still popular or if they had faded out since I don't see any posts in the last year regarding them.
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I play one of the Olwell Nicholsons, but I don't know if it's a precise copy; it was one of Aaron's flutes so I'm not sure about the tonehole placement. For months after getting it I frequently overreached the RH toneholes and still do, sometimes -- never did that with my Rudallesque flute or Pratten copy. So it might be modified somehow for Aaron's style. But I like the flute just fine; it's a dandy.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Who's Aaron?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Pat's son

does Nicholson have a website? are they loud?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Pat who?
LewisC
Tell us something.: It is a beautiful day in the piedmont for playing a favorite boxwood simple-system flute. Is that enough typing to get to 100 characters?? Maybe not, just to make sure here is a bit more stuff from the keyboard ...

Post by LewisC »

I've been playing an Olwell Nicholson for about 10 months now and love it. My brief flute career took a turn upwards and for the better with this flute. Less air requirements than the Pratten, and a great buzz in the lower register down to a very solid D, and easy to play in tune. Highest recommendations.
Lewis
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The Olwell medium-holed, aka Nicholson, is an absolutely amazing flute. I have a pre-serial-number version in rosewood without tuning slide. I find it very easy to play, and I love the sound -- very woody. But the best part is the versatility of the sound -- I can make it bark and whisper, can make it sound dirty or pure.

I don't think it's a faithful copy of the original Nicholson. When I asked Patrick to make a keyed version, he said I'd need to bring the flute to him to measure because it's so old, he doesn't know what reamers he used. This is a pretty good indication that he's changed designs over the years, which he of course wouldn't do for faithful copies.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I have a Nicholson-Clementi original (#315) that's pictured on McGee's website.....
and I have a keyless Olwell Nicholson for about 10 years.

I agree with Jon that the originals are chore for tuning, largely from that longer foot. McGee cut me a modern/shorter one and the original is terrific to play. Very very woody and dark tone. It's got all the cool Nicholson stuff such as the indent for the left hand and the flattened tone holes for the right hand. It's a great flute. I think they don't get the attention they truly deserve.
I've played a few other originals and they're pretty much alike, though mine is a large-hole model. The medium holed ones are good, but lack the boom only because of the bore.

The keyless Olwell is, in my opinion, Pat's best of the models he offers. Strong, powerful, graceful and with indulgence to whatever you'd like to do with it.

dm
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

I have one of Pat's "old" models; this could fairly be said, as Jon did, to be a flute with a Pratten-esque bore and smaller holes. The foot is also wide open, making for a very free-blowing flute.

My keyed flute is the more recent Olwell Nicholson model. It has a tighter foot and a different bore, more like a 19th c. flute. I think I like this better, but I do appreciate the other in a session. Actually, I have a tighter foot for the old one as well, to make it more like the current model.

Rob
treeshark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by treeshark »

Denny wrote:does Nicholson have a website? are they loud?
I don't think he groks the internet he's getting on a bit... they aren't really loud, in car terms they would be a Maserati nimble on the corners but with plenty of pedal available if you wish to put your foot down... :)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Akiba wrote:Who's Aaron?
Aaargh.

Cathy Wilde was referring to Aaron Olwell, one of the sons of the flute maker Patrick Olwell. From the age of 2 years, Aaron is missing what looks like the last joint of his left hand index finger, and perhaps part of the tip of the middle finger. Since the flute she mentions was previously owned by him, fingerhole placement might be different to accommodate his playing style under those conditions.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:oops: sorry, I should have been more clear.

And I agree with the other posters about this particular flute's near-perfect range. It can do pretty much anything if you hold your mouth right.

@ denny & trees: :lol:, you wags, youse!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

why, thank you :P
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.