Tongue or not to tongue, that is the question.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
shoutjoy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Tongue or not to tongue, that is the question.

Post by shoutjoy »

:poke: Ummm when do you tongue a song and when do you not?
Paula, the struggling Whistler/Dancer
Steve Bliven

Re: Tongue or not to tongue, that is the question.

Post by Steve Bliven »

The simple answer - which probably doesn't help much - is "when it works in the tune". But that assumes that you have developed a sense of "what works".

Most players start tonguing every note and gradually work away from that to not tonguing at all, using some other "finger operated" ornament to separate notes of a similar tone or for emphasis. Then, some go back to fitting in tonguing "when it works". Generally, that comes with time and listening to other players, either live or on recordings.

For me it's been a useful exercise to try playing tunes with no tonguing - both to learn that technique and as a forcing mechanism for learning other ornaments.

Best wishes.

Steve
Last edited by Steve Bliven on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

I agree with Steve. I don't think there is any particular rule on it but whatever sounds good with the tune. Some songs sound good more staccato, some more legato.

I will say that when you play more legato it does then to be more flute-like and is good for slow tunes and staccato tends to be better for fast tempo songs. IMHO

Just listen to as much as you can and you'll hear the differences between them then you can decide what you like for a given song.
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

:poke: However, be sure to refer to the music as "tunes" not "songs" unless you are actually singing them...

Best wishes.

Steve
bogman

Post by bogman »

Paula, one of the biggest problems with folk new to trad instruments is that they massively underestimate how much they should be listening. Even listening to loads of fiddle can help with tonguing because so much of it has to do with the music rather than the instrument. Get a few recordings if good whistle players and listen (closely) to it in the car, while in the kitchen, the garden, walking, basically anywhere and anytime you can. Don't let it wash over your head. That will do more good than trying to work out what works where. The whistle works very naturally when you get to properly know the music.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

bogman wrote:Paula, one of the biggest problems with folk new to trad instruments is that they massively underestimate how much they should be listening ... The whistle works very naturally when you get to properly know the music.
MTGuru likes this. :thumbsup:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
shoutjoy

Post by shoutjoy »

Ok, most of the Celtic music I have is a mix of different instruments. Can you recommend some good whistlers who have recorded?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

shoutjoy wrote:Can you recommend some good whistlers who have recorded?
There's a sticky above entitled "Whistle Recordings". You'll find good stuff there. Personally, I'm partial to Mary Bergin and Micko Russell

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
chas

Post by chas »

bogman wrote:Paula, one of the biggest problems with folk new to trad instruments is that they massively underestimate how much they should be listening. Even listening to loads of fiddle can help with tonguing because so much of it has to do with the music rather than the instrument.
shoutjoy wrote:Ok, most of the Celtic music I have is a mix of different instruments. Can you recommend some good whistlers who have recorded?
I find one of the absolute best albums for picking up one person's version of the music is Kevin Burke Live. It's almost all solo fiddle, and he's a great interpreter of tunes who's not obsessed with playing at breakneck speed, so you can pick up a lot of nuances that aren't as easily heard in ensemble playing.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

Steve Bliven wrote: Micko Russell
Some of us even call him Micho :poke:

Seriously though, I would also look for some of the great flute players. Kevin Crawford is a favorite of mine...
-Jim

R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

And since we've mentioned Micho Russell (one of my favorites, by the way) exactly how do you pronounce "Micho"? Is it Miko or Meeko? Or possibly even Micko? Is the "ch" pronounced like a k as in kirk or ch as in church?
Last edited by R Small on Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Jim_B1 wrote:Some of us even call him Micho :poke:
Of course, you're just being playful. :-) But I wouldn't put it quite that way unless you actually knew the man. Perhaps you did.

Mike-O (for Michael), I've heard. Don't think I've seen the spelling commonly used outside Ireland, at least not in the States.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
shoutjoy

Post by shoutjoy »

Okkaaaayyy thank you for all the suggestions. I will muddle through them the best I can. With funds being extremely limited, I will take advantage of all the on line stuff I can. Thanks to all of you!!!!!
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

MTGuru wrote:
Jim_B1 wrote:Some of us even call him Micho :poke:
Of course, you're just being playful. :-) But I wouldn't put it quite that way unless you actually knew the man. Perhaps you did.

Mike-O (for Michael). Don't think I've seen the spelling commonly used outside Ireland, at least not in the States.
Actually I was just playing around...

Wish I could say I had met him however I used to take lessons from Bill Ochs who was writing the definitive book on the man at the time (not sure if he ever finished it) and has published one of the best CD's and accompanying DVD's of his work out there "Ireland's Whistling Ambassador" so I've heard tons about him second hand...

I've always heard it pronounced Mike-O too but I've always seen it spelled Micho.
-Jim

brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Tonguing is a tool. I'd say use it, but don't overdo it. I agree with everyone who has said to listen to a LOT of whistle playing. Try to see where the player is tonguing and where they're not.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!