Flute oil

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bogman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Flute oil

Post by bogman »

As a whistle player who's recently started playing flute I've been wondering oiling it. What do folk here think about oiling, what is the best oil to use, and how do they personally go about applying the oil? Thanks in advance for any tips.
I.D.10-t

Re: Flute oil

Post by I.D.10-t »

If the maker of the flute is available to contact, it is often best to get their opinion and preference for oiling.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
bogman

Post by bogman »

I was really looking for broader opinion to be honest - preferences, how often etc, but I will check the recommendations for my own flute.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Ah, flute oil - the product of mashing up and pressing many flutes..... good stuff!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

bogman wrote:I was really looking for broader opinion to be honest - preferences, how often etc, but I will check the recommendations for my own flute.
This is a sore subject, really, and a very often discussed one. Save us all from another re-run by using the search tool, please! There really is loads of advice out there. It will vary from "don't oil at all" to "oil every day with only such-and-such a preparation".....
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
bogman

Post by bogman »

Hmm, prefer mashed up malted barley myself but I'll try that if I ever have a spare flute.
bogman

Post by bogman »

Surely anyone who doesn't want to discuss flute oil can simply avoid this thread???
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

bogman wrote:Surely anyone who doesn't want to discuss flute oil can simply avoid this thread???
Sure, but that wasn't really my point - which was more hinting that folk may not want to/can't be bothered to write about it yet again when there's loads been written.... go have a look.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
bogman

Post by bogman »

That's true Jem, but at the same time others may want to discuss it. I would prefer current opinions, that's why I posted the thread. You don't have to be part of it if you'd prefer not to.
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

I've been using LeBlanc's Bore Seal for 6 -7 years now with no problems. A little bit goes a long way and not expensive at all. I usually wipe my flute down inside and out every few weeks or so. More if it's lower humidity in the room where I keep my instruments.

http://www.456music.com/page.cfm?conten ... _id=3270SG

I don't have to worry about it going rancid or changing the color of the flute like some other oils. It comes in a small bottle so I can keep it in the case with the flute and there are a lot of music stores around that carry it if I need to pick up some and don't want to wait for shipping.

I asked Casey Burns a long time ago about it and he said it was perfectly acceptable to use on my Boxwood...

I'm sure there are other brands and some folks use raw linseed and other things but I've found this to be a very good oil to use. They make a good cork grease too...
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)
bogman

Post by bogman »

Thanks Jim.

Also, I was wondering, does oiling have any effect of the playability or tone of the flute?
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

jemtheflute wrote:Ah, flute oil - the product of mashing up and pressing many flutes..... good stuff!

Pressed Flute and Warthog closed down their shop; they didn't really want to, 'twas all they had got...
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

My impression of the consensus, having viewed he earlier threads, is that most now seem to favor commerically-available woodwind bore oil, applied maybe every few months, depending on your climate, the amount of playing you do, and your zodiac sign.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

bogman wrote:Also, I was wondering, does oiling have any effect of the playability or tone of the flute?
I've never noticed a tone change or anything but I've been oiling this flute since it was made. I think if you have an older flute that wasn't maintained and you begin oiling it, you may notice a change as it seals small cracks in the wood. It could also make some minor changes if your flute is of a more porous wood I would think...

Some of the folks here are collectors of older flutes and may have a better answer on that one.
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

hi, i can't remember where i read it... it was with some flute i got. maybe the Copley? perhaps the Mcgee... maybe not, i can't remember.

anyway, it claimed if you lightly oil your flute before playing it should sound better. (i oil the bejeesus out of mine, due to my dry climate, so i don't know what it sounds like unoiled in comparison, so i'm not in a position to be a judge of whether this is true or not :)

anyway, good luck. :)