Here's an odd air for ya!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

At least, it's odd the way I play it. :wink:

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/pooka.mp3

"Port na bPucai"--the Song of the Pooka

I hope you enjoy this.

This is my blackwood Hamilton flute.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

On 2003-02-12 23:55, peeplj wrote:
At least, it's odd the way I play it. :wink:

http://www.flutesite.com/samples/pooka.mp3

"Port na bPucai"--the Song of the Pooka

I hope you enjoy this.
I listened at it. Good stuff.
Reasonable person
Walden
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Hey, I've been working on that tune too! Good job!

I found it because it's on a CD I checked out from the library for my kids called "The Seal Maiden: A Celtic Musical"; I think it's in ABC tunefinder under "Port na bPucai", in case anyone else is interested.

P.S., our library has an interesting selections of CD's and videos. I found "Keb 'Mo" the other day; now I know I would like to buy it.

Robin
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I've always wondered why they say that you should know the words to an air in order to play it properly.
/Bloomfield
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Here's the story of the air Port na bPucai, as found on the site http://www.gannetsway.com/capeverde/expo2002.pdf .

This air has no words, at least not in any human language. :wink:
There have been few contemporary sightings of humpback whales in Irish waters although they wouldhave been much more abundant in the past. The suggestion that humpback whales may have been moreabundant in Irish waters is captured by the beautiful slow air, Port na bPucai (translated as "Music of the Fairies"), from Inishvickillane Island in the Blaskets, Co Kerry. Legend tells that three islanders wererowing back to Inishvickillane when they heard these strange sounds emanating from the hull of theircurrach. One islander, a fiddler, picked up his bow and played along to this eerie sound, thought to have been made by fairies. Many years later the connection was made between Port na bPucai and the song ofthe humpback whale. Maybe it was indeed Port na bPucai -the sound of the fairies -or perhaps the islanders heard a singing whale heading south to breeding grounds around the Cape Verdes.
Best wishes, and hoping you're having a whale of a good time :smile:

--James
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

James, I really enjoyed that piece! Thanks for sharing... your flute sounds lovely! :smile:

Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Thanks everybody! :smile:

I have a lot of fun playing that piece.

Once a little girl pointed and said "He's holding his flute wrong!" :lol:

I hold the flute tilted down about 20 degrees so that it intentionally uncentered the embouchure. Gives it a bit of a ghostly sound.

Best,

--James
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

Lol!! I wrote lyrics to a song I have yet to write about the Irish legend of The Piper and the Pooka... very fun!
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

OK now this is starting to drive me nuts. I can`t find this tune on Concertina or ABC. Am I missing something here? James this is a killer tune. I have been lucky enough in my life to listen to whale song on many occations and that is the first thing I thought about when I heard you play. I have already put your MP3 file on my loop and am listening to it over and over again but I sure could use the music. Well realy I could use the whistle tab but I know that would be to much to expect to find. But my Reyburn low G is just chompin at the bit to play this tune. Yes I am beggen for some help here. :smile:

Tom
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

On 2003-02-14 23:09, Blackbeer wrote:
OK now this is starting to drive me nuts. I can`t find this tune on Concertina or ABC. Am I missing something here? James this is a killer tune. I have been lucky enough in my life to listen to whale song on many occations and that is the first thing I thought about when I heard you play. I have already put your MP3 file on my loop and am listening to it over and over again but I sure could use the music. Well realy I could use the whistle tab but I know that would be to much to expect to find. But my Reyburn low G is just chompin at the bit to play this tune. Yes I am beggen for some help here. :smile:

Tom
Try this:

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/get ... Bpucai.gif
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Thank you very much. I wasn`t in a panic or anything realy I wasn`t. Honest,............. realy......:roll:

Tom
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2003-02-14 14:53, peeplj wrote:
Here's the story of the air Port na bPucai, as found on the site http://www.gannetsway.com/capeverde/expo2002.pdf .

This air has no words, at least not in any human language. :wink:
There have been few contemporary sightings of humpback whales in Irish waters although they wouldhave been much more abundant in the past. The suggestion that humpback whales may have been moreabundant in Irish waters is captured by the beautiful slow air, Port na bPucai (translated as "Music of the Fairies"), from Inishvickillane Island in the Blaskets, Co Kerry. Legend tells that three islanders wererowing back to Inishvickillane when they heard these strange sounds emanating from the hull of theircurrach. One islander, a fiddler, picked up his bow and played along to this eerie sound, thought to have been made by fairies. Many years later the connection was made between Port na bPucai and the song ofthe humpback whale. Maybe it was indeed Port na bPucai -the sound of the fairies -or perhaps the islanders heard a singing whale heading south to breeding grounds around the Cape Verdes.
Unfortunately the story is completely bogus, the tune was in fact composed by Sean O Riada who made up the story about an Blasket fiddler etc and passed it off as a traditional one. There are several tunes in circulation of which it is said they were composed by O Riada and then let loose on the pretext they came from some cranky old musicianer.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

This tune appears on the 'Tin whistles' album by Paddy Maloney and Sean Potts.I have just dug out my copy to read the sleeve notes(written by Gerald Hanley),and this is what they say;'Port na bPucai' was handed on from Sean O Raida to Paddy and Sean.It is a ghostly air and the story is that a fiddler stayed one night on Inis Mhic Fhaolain (Mac Fhaolin's island),one of the Blaskets,and came back with it next day and played it.It is the kind of mysterious music you might expect to hear at night near some ancient rath'. The tune can also be found on Cormac Breatnach's 'Musical journey' album(complete with crow noises!)and in manuscript form in Walton's '110 Ireland's best slow airs' book.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2003-02-15 10:40, Peter Laban wrote:

There are several tunes in circulation of which it is said they were composed by O Riada and then let loose on the pretext they came from some cranky old musicianer.
Same is true of the alleged American folk carol, I Wonder as I Wander.

• Haunting Melody
• Quaint Words
• Nobody on Earth Had Heard of It Previously
• Fraudulent Ballad Hunter
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Never mind 'made up' song histories, Walden's story reminded me of a fairly unsuccessful white guitarist(can't remember who)who recorded an underground tape,and passed it off as newly 're-discovered' material from a 'legendary'(previously unknown) black Delta Bluesman from the 30's.Of course this 'long lost' Blues Genius was totally imaginary,but from what I can gather he was the talk of Blues fans, until the truth was discovered! :lol: