Volume of large hole Rudall & Carte vs. Pratten

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Elvellon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Volume of large hole Rudall & Carte vs. Pratten

Post by Elvellon »

I'm desperate, Mr McGee please check your mail :).

To stay slightly on topic, I've been in a session with a Pratten copy, Rudall copy and an antique German flute, the Pratten player was the least loud and projecting, probably because of the 'round' sound.
My real name's Roman
LorenzoFlute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Maybe he wasn't a very good player, or wasn't playing loud.
My tone on my large holed rudall-style flute (a lehart) has improved a lot lately, at times I get really loud (uhuh :D ), but still when I play with Olwell pratten's players it's really hard to get to the same level of loudness (or volume or whatever)

Uh, 666 posts, now I can't write anymore... :wink:
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Elvellon wrote:I'm desperate, Mr McGee please check your mail :).

To stay slightly on topic, I've been in a session with a Pratten copy, Rudall copy and an antique German flute, the Pratten player was the least loud and projecting, probably because of the 'round' sound.
In my experience out in the wilds, most people who buy Pratten flutes don't even come close to filling them up. I liken it to buying a Ferrari, then pottering off to the shops in first gear. Wouldn't it be better to get a Volvo/Rudall?

That's not fair, either, since Rudalls can clearly raise the rafters. But Volvos get less respect than they deserve....

LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Nobody willl notice the Volvo in a car race (read: loud session in noisy pub) though...

Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

When I play my medium-holed "Volvo" in the session, I am hardly inconspicuous.

Rob
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

If you're the only flute player it's easy, if the other flute player(s) also play a Rudall it's fine, but it's harder when you're playing together with a Pratten guy...

Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Sounds more like a contest than a session. No, thanks!

Rob
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I've hit a wall. Should I climb over it, or just open the door and walk through?

I think I'll use the open space.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

Apologies to those who have read this story before. I was playing a Grinter at a big session when a guy I didn't know came in, listened for a while, and then joined us. He had a Nach Meyer, but played very well. Afterwards he asked me what I was playing, and said that it just cut through the fiddles and concertinas. As a player, I wouldn't have said it was a particularly loud instrument. The guy turned out to be a first chair flute in a regional symphony, played wooden flutes for fun, and presumably knew what he was talking about. FWIW.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

[quote="Rob SharerIn my experience out in the wilds, most people who buy Pratten flutes don't even come close to filling them up. I liken it to buying a Ferrari, then pottering off to the shops in first gear. Wouldn't it be better to get a Volvo/Rudall?

[/quote]

Not necessarily why some choose Prattens, filling them up (although I think I do okay in this area, but that's an aside). I have one of each (Pratten/Rudall style moderns, not the originals). The approach to each is different; I find that when I play the Rudall, I push it against its nature to sound like the Pratten; seems to be the sound I'm after, and that's not fair to the flute. Additionally, I find the thinner flute (the Rudall, of course) uncomfortable after a bit - contrary to why I went that route in the first place - and my fingers cramp. The Pratten is immensely more comfortable in my hands, although smaller holes do make some ornaments crisper. Now, all this is possibly just the Rudall I own against the Pratten. With this as a given, though, it's why the Pratten won out, volvos be damned.

A good analogy for me was when I chose to play Fenders, over Gibsons - the Gibsons' low action and refined necks are just too easy to play, fine when practicing, but, when playing live, I found I needed more to fight, more resistance, on the strings. It's a player preference - some of us are better at delicacy and restraint, and apparently, when pushing myself, restraint goes out the window. That said, Prattens are not as much fun to practice on in a small room, but playing out, or with louder accompaniment, the Pratten is the one I want to be playing.

Not a matter of volume or projection (they both cut any room), but a matter of me.
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

OTOH, says Gollum to Smeagal, I spent the better part of today with the Rudall... definitely has qualities that I prefer over the Pratten, 'specially when I'm not feeling particularly robust and don't have to fight several fiddlers, an accordian or a piper or two. Play it more easily, too...

So, never mind my first post...
Last edited by Gordon on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Sorry lads, I couldn't resist..

Rob these are my old beloved volvos

1980 244 gl
1993 245 gl

I even composed a tune, The brick, for my brown 244..

back to the topic, my feeling is that generally speaking the Pratten models are more air requiring, but are easier to play (straighter tuning, less adjustments) and allow wider dynamics and more flexibility, as they can play really hard AND really soft. Rudall models are less air consuming, but require a bit more embouchure control, and tend to have narrower dynamics, but they have a more complex, rich tone. I have both a Pratten model and a Rudall model, and switch between them all the time, but prefer the Pratten now. No doubt I will prefer the Rudall in 20 or 30 years time!

ciao!

M
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Michel wrote:
back to the topic, my feeling is that generally speaking the Pratten models are more air requiring, but are easier to play (straighter tuning, less adjustments) and allow wider dynamics and more flexibility, as they can play really hard AND really soft. Rudall models are less air consuming, but require a bit more embouchure control, and tend to have narrower dynamics, but they have a more complex, rich tone. I have both a Pratten model and a Rudall model, and switch between them all the time, but prefer the Pratten now. No doubt I will prefer the Rudall in 20 or 30 years time!

ciao!

M
I agree with this assessment. Yep.

Jason