Ornamentation - where did it come from and how...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Just out of curiosity, where did ornamention come from, and why.

Does anybody have a music history background. I don't want to know how to do it,theres more than enough explanations on all the boards.

Just curious of its history and development.

Any thoughts.

MarkB

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MarkB on 2003-02-12 17:40 ]</font>
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

My personal theory is that it arose from someone having trouble keeping hold of his whistle (maybe after one too many Guinnesses?). "Whoops! Wrong note! I'll just slap the right finger down quick and hope no one notices. Hey, that sounded cool! I think I'll call it a 'cut'!"

Just foolin' (well, only just!). I believe a lot of it comes from piping, and perhaps from fiddling as well.

It's also possible some of it comes from vocal music. If you listen to traditional Irish "sean nos" singing, it makes great use of very similar ornamentation techniques, which is used to add expressiveness to the performance in much the same way a classical singer might use dymamics (such as crescendo/decrescendo).

Redwolf

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Redwolf on 2003-02-12 17:44 ]</font>
Flamman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Flamman »

I don't know, but I'd hazard a guess. I'm a drummer in a pipe band, and the pipers tell me that playing the old wheeze and queeze is like playing a piano with only white keys. Consequently, they play a lot of ornamentation to compensate for the instrument's limited nature. A six-hole fipple flute would also seem to meet that description.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I have also thought of the wrong note theory and quickly change fingers or whatever and ended up doing a roll of some kind.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Good question for the Irish Trad Music Forum http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewforum.php?forum=8&1717
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Try this:
http://www.cliffmoses.com/ornaments/ornament.html

It's a hammered dulcimer site, but the discussion of ornaments gives some history related to fiddle, pipes, etc.

Sarah
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Ornamentation is the only way
bagpipes can punctuate a musical
line. Then these people picked
up whistles and played em the
same way. I think that's where
whistle ornamentation comes
from, anyway.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Bagpipes.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I think Redwolf is onto something with the Guinness remark. Ornamentation is not peculiar to traditional music (I believe Bach is credited with standardizing the notation for grace notes). There's a saying among orchestral musicians that vibrato (in the strings) can cover a wealth of small mistakes. The same may be said for ornamentation in traditional music, since the fiddlers don't play with much vibrato. Some of my best rolls are accidental. :smile:

And her remark about sean nos singing, where ornamentation takes the place of harmony, also has some bearing.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Classical music of all kinds is rife and thick with ornamentation, it just happens to be different ornamentation than is used in Irish music.

Classical ornaments tend to be more melodic and less rhythmic; the opposite is of course true in Irish trad.

There are trills, mordents, inverted mordents, tremolos, flattements, gruppetto (turns), graces, subdivisions, and God-knows what-all else.

You can spend a lifetime in the study of classical ornamentation--in fact, some have.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

If you listen to traditional Irish "sean nos" singing, it makes great use of very similar ornamentation techniques..
I've been wondering about this, and might as well not start a whole new thread.. but what exactly is "sean nos" music? I've heard the term alot, but don't know what it means. (Obviously, or else I wouldn't be asking...)
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Hey Flamman!! Good to see another pipe band drummer here. Side, Tenor or Bass? I'm guessing side from your name.

I am a reformed piper who was able to give up the pipes for ...... TENOR. What fun!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cowtime on 2003-02-12 20:14 ]</font>
LimuHead
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

My theory is that musical ornaments originated at the same time musical awareness did. There has always been a spirit of inventiveness that naturally comes with facility on an instrument. The 'plain stuff' gets boring, and the urge to spice it up would come quite naturally.

Ornaments came from musicians.....

Just a theory.
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

On 2003-02-12 17:41, Redwolf wrote:
My personal theory is that it arose from someone having trouble keeping hold of his whistle (maybe after one too many Guinnesses?). "Whoops! Wrong note! I'll just slap the right finger down quick and hope no one notices. Hey, that sounded cool! I think I'll call it a 'cut'!"

Just foolin' (well, only just!). I believe a lot of it comes from piping, and perhaps from fiddling as well.

Redwolf

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Redwolf on 2003-02-12 17:44 ]</font>
:lol:

Some of my best ornamentation comes when I'm about to drop that thing, lol!

Robin
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Other forms of Folk Music have ornamentation. It seems that court music has a very structured ornament and further away you get from it the more ornamented music gets. Klezmer and Gypsy music has much ornmentation. Klezmer even has chrips and some very complex ornmanents.