Help with 'folding' please

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Help with 'folding' please

Post by DrPhill »

Can this lovely tune be folded nicely into the range of the whistle? Or does it lose too much to be worth it?

X: 1
T: Lament For The Death Of The Rev. Archie Beaton
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
R: reel
K: Gmaj
Bc|d3 d {e}dc {Bc}BA|{F}G2 B2 D3 G|{EF}E2 {F}GE {DE}D3 B,|{B,}A,6 (Bc)|
d3 d {e}dc {Bc}BA|{F}G2 B2 D3 G|{EF}E2 {d}cA {G}F3 D|{D}G6 :|
{C}B,A,|G,3 B, D3 D|{Bc}B3 A {F}G3 E|{DE}D2 {F}GE {DE}D3 B,|{B,}A,6 {C}B,A,|
G,3 B, D3 D|{Bc}B3 A {F}G3 E|{DE}D2 {F}GB, {A,B,}A,3 B,|{A,}G,6 {C}B,A,|
G,B,DG Bdga|{ga}b3 a {ga}g3 e|{^c}d2 {ga}ge {^c}d3 B|{B}A6 (Bc)|
d3 d {de}dc {Bc}BA|{F}G2 B2 D3 G|E2 {d}cA {G}FDCA,|{A,}G,6 z2|

As usual, any help gratefully received.....
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Help with 'folding' please

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Just played through your ABC and raising the low notes an octave works just fine.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have a hard time following that sort of transcription.

It varies from tune to tune, how to fit tunes that go below bottom D onto the whistle.

Sometimes it's just a couple notes that can be raised the octave and all is fine. Sometimes we wind players even forget that such tunes HAVE notes below bottom D because we're so used to how they sound with those notes raised (The Banshee etc).

But sometimes the only way to have the melody make sense is to transpose the tune into a different key. So this tune is in G? Maybe transposed to D and played on a Low G whistle it fits better? I wouldn't know until I could see the tune in normal writing.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have a hard time following that sort of transcription.
This type of ABC notation was only ever designed as an easy way to exchange tunes over the net. Not for reading. A plethora of ABC software is freely available to help you follow 'that sort of transcription' by translating it to staff notation.
My brain hurts

DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Just played through your ABC and raising the low notes an octave works just fine.

Ok, thanks MrGumby - I will edit the notes up an octave and listen. I guess that I should have known enough to try that for myself.....

You are a gent.
Phill

NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Listen? To a midi? Please don't! It's better to read from sheet music than to learn from midi!
Tia

Post by Tia »

Is there any good website in which to learn the ABC? I feel as though it might come in handy some day.

thanks!
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Tia wrote:Is there any good website in which to learn the ABC? I feel as though it might come in handy some day.

thanks!
You can start with http://abcnotation.com/abc2mtex/abc.txt for the basic rules.

www.thesession.org has lots of ITM tunes in both sheet music and abc

www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html will convert abc to sheet music, including pdf versions

www.8ung.at/abctransposer/index.html will transpose tunes up or down in an attempt to get them to a more whistle-friendly version.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

OK, Phill, here ya go - this is what I'd do with it:

T: Lament For The Death Of The Rev. Archie Beaton
T:"octave folded" whistle/flute setting - where two notes on one stem, play either to taste, maybe vary between.
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
R: reel
K: Gmaj
Bc|d3 d dc BA|G2 B2 D3 G|E2 GE [Dd]3 B|A6 Bc|
d3 d dc BA|G2 B2 D3 G|E2 cA F3 D|G6 :|]
BA|G3 B [Dd]3 [Dd]|B3 A G3 [Ee]|[Dd]2 [Gg][Ee] [Dd]3 B|A6 BA|
G3 B d3 d|B3 A G3 [Ee]|[Dd]2 [Gg]B A3 B|G6 BA|
GBdG Bdga|b3 a g3 e|d2 ge d3 B|A6 Bc|
d3 d dc BA|G2 B2 D3 G|E2 cA [Ff][Dd]cA|G6|]

As I've added in the subtitle, where there are two notes on one stem (the pairs in [] square brackets when you convert this into staff notation) you have a choice which you play - maybe all the top ones, maybe some low and some high - and of course you can use low or high as a variation on repeats. I'd probably mostly play all the high ones (where there is a choice) as a basic version.

I have also removed the rather unhelpful written-in ornamentation.

Last edited by jemtheflute on Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

jemtheflute wrote:OK, Phill, here ya go - this is what I'd do with it
Wow, thanks Jem. I am looking forward to giving that a try. We have guests this weekend, so I probably wont get a real try for a bit. I am still insufficiently confident to try these rearrangements(?) myself, but I will be able to see what you have done, and maybe guess why.
Tia wrote:Is there any good website in which to learn the ABC? I feel as though it might come in handy some day.
http://abcnotation.com/ is a good place to start.
NicoMoreno wrote:Listen? To a midi? Please don't! It's better to read from sheet music than to learn from midi!
Yeah, MIDI renditions are soulless, but I find them helpful to get the rhythm. I can get pitch from the dots, but have not mastered reading the rhythm. Of course I prefer a human rendition... but rest assured that the MIDIs are ignored once I get the basic rhythm.
Phill

ricmcm

Post by ricmcm »

MIDI will give you the notes but it's biggest weakness is that it does not even hint at a proper rythm. Neither does staff notation. The only way to study rythm is to listen {lots) to competent players.
Dick
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thanks for that Jem the Flute. With normal notation I can "sing" the tune in my head as I look at the music (yes I had to do sight-singing in college, annoying then but useful ever after).

It's interesting to hear, for example, Paddy Carty play tunes that go below bottom D, and how he handles them. It's been a while since I listened to his album, but as I recall he only popped the necessary notes up the octave, playing all possible notes in their "correct" octave, no matter how jagged the resulting phrase was.

Most curious is when he played tunes that had a sequence like D C# D or D C D in them. When I was playing a keyed flute I would always use the footjoint keys to play the low C or C# in these cases. If I was playing a keyless flute, or whistle, or pipes, I would play a semi-cran/bottom D roll there. But Paddy would play Bottom D middle C Bottom D which always sounded a bit odd to me. (Photos of him appear to show the footjoint rotated so that the keys aren't within reach.)

For whatever reason playing Bottom D B Bottom D seems smoother and we all play tunes like that all the time, where a B below bottom D is raised the octave but it's surrounded by Bottom Ds that we leave alone.

I face these issues all the time on the Highland pipes, but the other way round: tunes that have High B in them, but the pipe's highest note is A. If the tune goes High A High B High A, I'll drop the whole sequence an octave to smooth out the phrase.

(BTW Jem you've probably seen the YouTube video of the guy attempting to do various regional accents where says "Jones the fish catches the fish. Jones the bread bakes the bread." His American accents are particularly awful.)
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

pancelticpiper wrote:(BTW Jem you've probably seen the YouTube video of the guy attempting to do various regional accents where says "Jones the fish catches the fish. Jones the bread bakes the bread." His American accents are particularly awful.)
Nah, haven't had that misfortune - not going hunting either!

BTW, if you want to see the original version in staff notation, you must by now know about the Tune-o-tron Converter - just paste Phill's original ABC into it......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

jemtheflute wrote: Nah, haven't had that misfortune - not going hunting either!
No hunting needed... here he is attempting various British accents. I'm an American and even I can tell how bad they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn3_bYcAnWI

but his attempts at American accents are most glaringly wrong to my ear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG0Ecf-zHSI

Flush this away with a listen at some actual American accents, starting with how my relatives back home talk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4K ... re=related

and how the people where I now live talk (no it's not exaggerated) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM_iG5N83do&feature=fvw
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

aww, the bad American accent videos were removed from youtube. i always hear people do "fake" Chinese language, and i would love to hear someone who doesn't speak english try to "fake" it. a lot of "dude" and "hamburger" i imagine. that's what were about if TV serves me correctly.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."