Follow the embouchure pyramid?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Follow the embouchure pyramid?

Post by keithsandra »

Can anyone tell me where I can find references to the breath marks left round the flute embouchure hole after playing?

This mark “should” apparently show itself as a triangle/pyramid, with the embouchure hole in the middle.

The “better” (?) the embouchure, the smaller the top of the pyramid on top of the embouchure hole. That is, the flute’s embouchure hole should be higher up the triangle.

I had a reference to this and have lost it. I seem to remember it said the idea was taught to French flute players.

After surrounding the embouchure hole with an irregular mass of quickly evaporating damp air, I’ve been producing the pyramid for some time, though my pyramid’s lines aren’t yet touching the embouchure hole to indicate a more focused embouchure.

I like the tones I’m getting but the low D on my wooden flute could be more sonorous and I suspect this flute could also produce more dynamics.

Anyway, I’d like to experiment. I want to find out if and how this “pyramid” might lead me to an optimum tone.

Does anyone know where I can find this reference? Any advice and comments would be welcome.
Hup
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Follow the embouchure pyramid?

Post by Hup »

I wouldn't say that. If you cover too much of the hole you get a
a dead sound, leading to an out of tune buzzing noise. There's
a sweet spot - or range - depending on the sound you're trying to get.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Dynamics are obtained through varying the embouchure and other forces at work. You don't want to stay in the "sweet spot", but to pull all kinds of tones out of the flute. I'd let your ears be your guide rather than looking for condensation patterns.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Good advice! I think in the end the ears will have it. But that pyramid might provide a useful visual. It intrigues me.

CROOKEDTUNE: Did you see my PM to you on your Nach Meyer?

Thanks for the comments. Keep 'em coming,. And if anyone knows where the reference is to that "pyramid" article, I'd appreciate a heads up. I think it had a diagram with it. It's probably buried deep in the Terry McGee 19C articles but I can't find it ...

K.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

keithsandra wrote:
CROOKEDTUNE: Did you see my PM to you on your Nach Meyer?

K.
No, and there's nothing in my in-box. I corresponded with someone else about it last week, though. Shoot me another one.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I don't have time to look for that specifically, but Jennifer Cluff's website http://www.jennifercluff.com is a treasure trove of useful stuff -- and if it doesn't have the exact thing you're looking for, she may have a link to it. And she's even in B.C.!

Good luck!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

CATHY: Jennifer Cluff gave me my first flute lesson after two and a half years of whistling. She's magical. She teaches by osmosis. She gets you playing right from the start and makes the room sing with her harmonies. She hooked me on flute; transfixed me actually ... Alas, she plays Boehm so that was that. But her web pages are full of her vitality, learning, musical experience and enthusiasm. (I love her piece on Most Common Mistakes by Self Taught Flutists).

Unfortunately, her copious web site and links don't reference that article on the pyramid of embouchure condensation. (WIKIBOOKS mentions that this triangle of condensation is a good sign, but doesn't say why).

By the way, I printed out your advice to another CnF member. It's stuck in front of me when I play: "Focus your airstream and see how little air you can get by with to make the flute sing (also be sure to hold it lightly; it'll hum in your hands when you do)."

That worked for me first time ...

Thanks for your postings, and keep 'em coming.

K.