Great pop/rock song(s)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Great pop/rock song(s)

Post by benhall.1 »

The only time I can even stomach hearing Simon and Garfunkel is when watching The Graduate.
dwest

Post by dwest »

benhall.1 wrote:The only time I can even stomach hearing Simon and Garfunkel is when watching The Graduate.
I occasionally like to take a bridge over troubled waters during an afternoon that is a hazy shade of winter on my way to Scarborough....Fair. Haven't been in years, usually stop in Tadcaster for refreshment, makes the trip so much more pleasant.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I do like the Bridge Over Troubled Water album, but I think Paul Simon definitely grew as an artist after he and Artie parted ways. I like Art's singing, but he never really found a direction after he and Paul broke up. My wife is a huge S&G fan, so we've got at least four of Art's albums (she doesn't have Watermark, which I thought was his best, my college roommate's album, not ever mine), and none appeals to me. Great voice, that's about it. Paul, OTOH, did a bunch of great stuff even if he didn't have Art's voice.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

benhall.1 wrote:The only time I can even stomach hearing Simon and Garfunkel is when watching The Graduate.
Well, that's how I feel about Leonard Cohen. Except I can't think of a film that would allow me to endure listening to him. "Alien Resurrection", maybe. He even managed to spoil "The Watchmen", and that had some good music.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I've got to admit to a fondness for S&G. Back in the day, I learned to play guitar largely by listening to their records. I got to see the duo about 4 times and man, for two voices and one guitar they made some beautiful music.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Latticino

Post by Latticino »

Well, that's how I feel about Leonard Cohen. Except I can't think of a film that would allow me to endure listening to him. "Alien Resurrection", maybe. He even managed to spoil "The Watchmen", and that had some good music.
Seriously, you didn't think his songs in "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" fit perfectly? (For those of you who were too young, a brilliant film that paints a more realistic picture of the Old West long before "The Unforgiven" or "3:10 to Yuma"). I also enjoyed the Watchmen film, though I wasn't a fan of the comic and didn't know exactly what to expect.

As far as pop songs, I'll also agree with Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon had some brilliant popular songs), Mitchel (same goes for the Blue album), and add Marc Cohn (check out the Rainy Season album), Crosby Stills, Nash and Young (Teach Your Children...). There are actually tons, and I don't even really listen to pop
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
chas

Post by chas »

I was going to mention McCabe & Mrs Miller, too, but thought that if IB really couldn't stand Leonard Cohen, there's no way he'd make it through the movie. I agree, a great movie, one of Altman's early masterpieces.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Latticino wrote:"McCabe and Mrs. Miller" ~~~ (For those of you who were too young, a brilliant film that paints a more realistic picture of the Old West long before "The Unforgiven" or "3:10 to Yuma").
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: behind Chas again :D
Latticino wrote:Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon had some brilliant popular songs)
got 'em into mainstream in the US, didn't it :D It was so nice not tryin' to explain what a Pink Floyd was...
Latticino wrote:Mitchel (same goes for the Blue album)
pop shouldn't be allowed to have that one :poke:
Latticino wrote:Crosby Stills, Nash and Young (Teach Your Children...).
right....almost as good as Buffalo Springfield :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

If I've seen McCabe & Mrs Miller, I have no recollection of it. I'll see if I can dig it out somewhere. :thumbsup:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Okay...lemme have a look at my iTunes list...

I'm going to say:
Eric Clapton, Change the World. Starts off being a tad slow, but then I get caught in the syncopation and upswells.
Cat Stevens, Peace Train. Almost for the same reasons.
Neil Diamond, Play Me. If you could translate a well-written lusty romance novel into music...
flautelle

Post by flautelle »

[Thread revival. - Mod]
fearfaoin wrote:
dwest wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:Rush's catalog.
I had no idea Limbaugh even sang.
Yup, he sounds just like Geddy Lee (i.e., awful)
I know this post is two years old, but i just found it, so on behalf of all Canadian rock fans and Rush-ians worldwide: Booooo!

Now that's out of my system, Rush is on tour for their newest album, "Clockwork Angels", and one of the songs that stands out musically is be The Garden:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9fM8S0 ... re=related

Of course, like many Rush fans, i would agree with the earlier comment that anything from their extensive (20 studio albums) could be of musical note. It would be hard to name a "hit" as they are not really mainstream band in the same vein as some of the other artists named: many people know of them, but their true fans are a select, loyal crowd.

Those of you more into Zepplin-type epic rock, you might enjoy the controversal 2112 (long but worth the time):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQEgZNqa8jE

or perhaps the equally musically diverse, A Farewell to Kings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bq-L4-6gsg

Enjoy!

(p.s. Geddy Lee rocks! The man is part of a wine charity and a received Governor General's award and sings the themesong to Canadian heroes Bob and Doug McKenzie on SCTV. Cool personified.)
"Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. " - Herbie Hancock
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Yoko Ono Rules! :boggle:

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Geez, there's got to be some blurring of the categories here... and lots of songs... off the cuff... Janis Joplin Cheap Thrills you pick one

Can anyone forget Janis Joplin?
chas

Post by chas »

ytliek wrote:Geez, there's got to be some blurring of the categories here... and lots of songs... off the cuff... Janis Joplin Cheap Thrills you pick one

Can anyone forget Janis Joplin?
If I had to pick one off Cheap Thrills, it'd probably be Turtle Blues. For the most part, just Janis's beautiful growl and a piano.

Flautelle -- what's controversial about 2112? I always thought of it as a pretty straightforward hard rock album.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
flautelle

Post by flautelle »

chas wrote:
ytliek wrote: Flautelle -- what's controversial about 2112? I always thought of it as a pretty straightforward hard rock album.
Ah, the controversy around 2112 has to do with connections to the themes in Ayn Rand's wiritng, collectivism vs. individualism, etc.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2112_(song)

Some very neat picks on this thread. Some days i can't get Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now" and "Blue" out of my head. But a quick spin of Michael McGoldrick and that problem is solved.
"Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. " - Herbie Hancock