Need a Suggestion For a Good Starter Irish Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
untmba07
antispam: No

Need a Suggestion For a Good Starter Irish Flute

Post by untmba07 »

Looking to get one for my girlfriend for Xmas. She's played the flute for several years and is interested in giving the Irish flute a shot. Is there anything anyone recommends between $150-300 that she can use as kind of an introduction to the instrument? Any assistance is much appreciated!
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Need a Suggestion For a Good Starter Irish Flute

Post by kkrell »

untmba07 wrote:Looking to get one for my girlfriend for Xmas. She's played the flute for several years and is interested in giving the Irish flute a shot. Is there anything anyone recommends between $150-300 that she can use as kind of an introduction to the instrument? Any assistance is much appreciated!
I'd go to $375 and buy a Casey Burns Folk Flute: http://caseyburnsflutes.com/ff.php

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

At $360, the Copley delrin is a great buy.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

plunk111 wrote:At $360, the Copley delrin is a great buy.
Ditto this. That's a great flute for a small price.

Rob
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

Copley delrin flutes are great for the price, it's very easy to get a good tone on them.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I can't disagree with either at that price. You'd be hard-pressed to find anything cheaper that would likely provide a satisfactory experience for an already seasoned silver flute player.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

$350 for my Reviol keyless in D. It's a wooden flute with a poured Delrin liner. Don't ask me how he does it. It plays very nicely, is in tune, and is trouble free. The new price is $450 + shipping from New Zealand. I will include shipping anywhere on the planet. Reviol's flutes are very similar to Martin Doyle's flutes.

http://www.reviol.co.nz/HTML/CastBoreFlutes.html

Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Don't "Consider a spherical cow in a vacuum..."

Consider my flute. It's much more useful. No milk and no teats, but no up-keep, no feed to buy, no manure to shovel, welcome in any session.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

You may want to decide if she needs a tuning slide or not...

The Forbes is great, but the holes might be too large for the average women's hands.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

Othannen wrote:You may want to decide if she needs a tuning slide or not...

The Forbes is great, but the holes might be too large for the average women's hands.
I don't think you'll find a flute in this price range with a slide, but the options suggested so far all have enough tuning adjustment by way of a long tenon. Any of these can be played with others, in a session or whatever.

Hand stretch might be a concern if she has smallish hands. Can't speak for the others, but the stretch on the Copley is reasonable. That Reviol looks nice. Would consider it myself if I wasn't in the middle of a move...

Good luck,
Jay
Maker of wooden flutes for Irish traditional music. www.woodenflutes.com
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Jay wrote:I don't think you'll find a flute in this price range with a slide, but the options suggested so far all have enough tuning adjustment by way of a long tenon. Any of these can be played with others, in a session or whatever.
Dominic Allan's student flutes got a slide. I quote from his website:
STUDENT FLUTE
These flutes are made from apple wood, cherry, pear or maple subject to availability. They have a two piece construction that includes a tuning slide.The head is fully lined with nickel silver and the conical bored body is treated with a cellulose based wood hardener.After turning the flute is soaked in linseed oil to further seal and protect the wood. I endeavour to keep waiting times to a minimum for this product and these flutes can be used in part exchange for one of my advanced models. (up to 70% of original purchase price, subject to condition) - Price £150+ postage.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Rob Sharer wrote:
plunk111 wrote:At $360, the Copley delrin is a great buy.
Ditto this. That's a great flute for a small price.
I had one of these with the modern-cut embouchure for awhile and was very pleased with it. I recently did some trading and got one with a traditional oval embouchure. I am absolutely blown away. When I unpacked it and just tooted a little gibberish to get a feel for it my wife said "WOW!" It's absolutely one of the best Irish flutes I've played, and there's no adjustment necessary switching between it and my Olwell Nicholson (which has been virtually idle since I got the Copley Delrin).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Denny

Post by Denny »

ya know ya could keep yer mouth shut :really:

like he needs another delrin flute :D

FWIW I have the same problem ("virtually idle") with my Rob Forbes & Dave Williams Pratten (w/ Pat O. head) :twisted:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Ralph Sweet of Sweetheart Flutes makes a number of instruments in that general price range; the Resonance in Rosewood is about $375, and some of his other unkeyed flutes in D are at $295, depending on species of wood. He also has a one-keyed flute in various woods at $335.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.