What's your favorite C whistle & why?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
talasiga
antispam: No

Re: What's your favorite C whistle & why?

Post by talasiga »

MusicalADD wrote:I have a Syn set (one head, several bodies) that I don't use often, but the C body seems particularly nice, in terms of tone. But I haven't played many C whistles so I can't exactly compare.

When I was at East Durham I ran into another whistler who also considered the Syn C to be his favorite C.

Yes I'm in the same boat except mine is a red lancewood Syn C whistle - the whistle, not the boat!

The only other C I have is a Waltons which rolls around in my motor car for the odd occasion in the wilderness .....
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

My favourite C whistle is a Burke D session bore head with a Generation C tube cut and sanded to fit in...no need to get a "real" C whistle for me.
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Humphrey 'traditional' (as against his 'session' model).....bought a D+ with the additional hole on the bottom for a C, and Gary uses the same bore tube for that as a C trad, so I bought the C tube as well. I have never completely figured out the D+ and the extra hole was not as useful as I though it was going to be, so I mostly keep the head on the C tube and that's my main C whistle. Great whistle; lots of volume, great tuning. Just lovely.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I play and own a lot of good C whistles. Most of those have been mentioned already. I'll add one more to the discussion. I have a Walton's nickel C tube, maybe the same Walton's C that Chas mentioned. It was a decent whistle to begin with but I had Mack Hoover make a whitecap for it. That whistle just makes me start giggling every time I play it. :lol: It is so darned sweet. It's just a complete joy to play. Thanks Mack!

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Freeman Mellow Dog C and Parks Walkabout C. Both can exchange bodies and heads with their respective D counterparts, play in tune and are easy to keep with you. When you keep it with you, you will play it more. That's the bottom line for me.

Of course I have others but these are the one's that I play.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Doc Jones wrote:I think I may have a C problem.
Perhaps you just haven't found your C-legs yet.

I only have one C whistle, but it's a Copeland and I have nothing bad to say about it. I would like to get another C at some point, perhaps a wooden one for that wood-C tone.

...okay, I've fulfilled my pun quota for the day.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

I'm quite fond of my Burke brass wide-bore C.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Update:

I am now the owner of a Jerry Freeman Tweaked Blackbird C. I've only had it a little over 24 hours but I really like it already. It has the sound I was looking for, and is very easy to play.

Now I'm eager to get back home and play it some more. :)

Sarah
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Just to let you know, in case you didn't already ...

The C Blackbird and the C Mellow Dog are the same whistle, except the C Blackbird has a black whistlehead and a nickel plated tube whilst the C Mellow Dog comes with a green whistlehead and a brass tube. (And the C Mellow Dog isn't sold separately unless you make a fuss. The C Mellow Dog is part of the Mellow Dog D/C set.)

Best wishes
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
JayDoc

Post by JayDoc »

I'm preferring the C and Bb these days, since they seem inherently a bit quieter than the D. I love my Freeman tweaked mellow dog C (the D's nice too--great set). Really a nice value, and a mellow sounding (who coulda guessed, with a name like that?), very responsive brass tubed whistle. Some of the others mentioned I like too (eg Parkes with the two bodies). The Ellis C/D set is a good value, a bit pricier than Mr. Freeman's, but with a "silencer" (or a "quieter"?...)
I have to say that, on the wood side, I have an Oz C blackwood that's a dream to play. Quite a bit more dough, though, of course...don't tell my wife...
Best,
Jaydoc