looking for a low D that sounds like dixon but louder

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cramer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cramer »

anyone know of a low d that has a similar sound to the dixon but is louder?
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

You might try a Burke. It has a reasonably pure sound, not particularly sweet, though. And it really booms; there's an especially big difference in the lower register between it and a Dixon.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
cramer

Post by cramer »

i have only played a few other low d's but the dixon has the exact sound i want and the spacing and hole size are comfortable..just not loud enough! is the burke similar in hole size and spacing?
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

you could ask tony dixon, if he's planning on a louder version in future or buy a good microphone and beat every low whistle on earth!
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

bump
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

On 2003-02-11 13:37, cramer wrote:
is the burke similar in hole size and spacing?
I've only played the Burke AlPro, which has a large bore, and thus much larger holes than the Dixon as well as greater volume. There have been several threads on hole spacing in low-D's; if you're concerned, you should search for them.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
rbm

Post by rbm »

I made a low in 48mm inside diameter copper tube - very very loud! but the bottom d note was very fragile and wants to jump an octave unless well warmed and you need the lungs of blue whale to blow the darn thing :grin:

Richard.

__canr'n't measure - heyho._______________
rbm, in the wilds of the English Lake District, where the fells stand clear in the sunlight above the valley sea of shimmering mist Image

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rbm on 2003-02-12 07:50 ]</font>
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I would also recommend a Burke composite if you're after that type of sound. Very nice whistle.

I've owned Burkes, Dixon, Copeland and Overton Low-Ds. Each is a terrific instrument in its own right and I would not have anything negative to say about any of them. They are very different critters from one another as to playing requirements and tone colors. I have sold them all and do most of my Low-D playing now with an Irish flute.

However, I still own my just-tuned Reyburn Low-D with offset holes. It has tonal complexities and richness I didn't find in any of the others. Let me repeat: all the others were really a joy to play and were wonderful instruments they just weren't for me. I sort felt like they were flute wanna-bes. Whereas the Reyburn really does have some of the tonal attributes that drew me to whistles in the first place.

Just my thoughts. Others will have very different thoughts. Your best bet is to get your hands on some of the different tooters and see who you fall in love with.

Cheers,

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I really wish I could take credit for the following quote (which did come from someone on this board - feel free to pat yourself on the back):

"The best low D whistle is the flute." :smile:

Nuff said. Let the flaming begin.

Ducking quickly for cover,

Eric
cramer

Post by cramer »

he hehe, i do have the dixon flute/whistle duo, but i could never get any sound with the flute head. my mouth wouldn't work with me. i would have no problem learning the flute, if i could pick one up and be as comfortable with it as i am a whistle. i don't feel like learning another blowing/breathing technique just yet, and whistles rule, anyway.
Groovehead

Post by Groovehead »

On 2003-02-12 07:49, rbm wrote:
I made a low in 48mm inside diameter copper tube - very very loud! but the bottom d note was very fragile and wants to jump an octave unless well warmed and you need the lungs of blue whale to blow the darn thing :grin:

Richard.
ditto! only mine doesn't take that much air. It was the first whistle I ever built and really didn't play at all until last night. I did some tweaking on it and it plays now, but the Low D is very fragile as you stated.

I much prefer my PVC whistles, but they are VERY VERY quiet... I was playing them in the car the other day (no, I wasn't driving) and the lower register was all but inaudible. granted the car is not the quitest either though... :wink:
rbm

Post by rbm »

1st copper low d i tried to make was in 22mm inside diameter pipe, but could not get a note as low as d so ended up as my 1st low g, so went to ex ssn hms torbay, or was it hms trenchant? cooling pipe which gave me a very good low note very loud but the pipe is a tad too big so it takes some blowing. must source some pipe in between and try again, but that comes after the wooden one.
richard.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

"The best low D whistle is the flute." :smile:
Nonsense. As much as I love flutes, the low D whistle has quite a different sound, with its own qualities.

See, ducking for cover won't help you. :wink:

Jens
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I've got the Dixon standard lowD and the Burke Al EZ lowD. They are really very similar in sound, the Burke being quite a bit louder and, now get this, the stretch on both whistles is practivally identical.
So there, I guess your choice is clear.
:razz:
psychih

Post by psychih »

Y'know what....if you're looking for a low D, the best one to get is an Overton. I've played one, and a Dixon. Comparatively, the finger stretch on the Overton is pretty good for small hands and small fingers. Plus, it's loud when you want it too and the breath requirements are not too demanding. At least I don't think so. It sounds rather flute-like too :smile: Heh. And you can whack the bodhrán player in the face with it...hehehe.