Ashokan Farewell/playable on a whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
old duffer
antispam: No

Ashokan Farewell/playable on a whistle?

Post by old duffer »

Greetings Folks - I am a newcomer to this forum and have been sitting "on the sidelines" for a fair amount of time. But now I have a question or two that I hope can be answered by those that have more knowledge than yours truly. The Civil War series by Ken Burns had a mournful beautiful song/air entitled Ashokan Farewell. Needless to say the song/air really moves me and I would like to be able to play it on the whistle. I have found the sheet music on the internet but various parts of the piece seem to be out of the range of a whistle. Some questions:

# Is Ashokan Farewell truly in range and can it be played on a whistle?

# Are there any recordings of this piece played on a whistle?

# If playable can any of you musicians put this tune into sheet music form? (ABC method is a technique that I have not yet mastered)

Peace/Peter
Denny

Re: Ashokan Farewell/playable on a whistle?

Post by Denny »

this should cover the first two
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... ry=0&page=

an' da 3rd
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

Ashokan Farewell is invariably played in the key of D by fiddlers, as shown in the music above.

It obviously doesn't fit the whistle that way, because too much of the melody drops off the bottom, and the tune really doesn't work without those lovely arpeggios that walk up from A and G. Played up an octave, you loose important stuff off the top.

But if you transpose the tune to G it works. IIRC, there is one note that doesn't fit, but you can substitute around it satisfactorily.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

If you use G fingering on a whistle in A, the tune ends up back at D again and you can play with fiddles, or play along with a recording.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

Denny wrote:this should cover the first two
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_t ... ry=0&page=
Just to add to Denny's link here's a link
to the finger chart to go with the youtube clip,
Ashokan Farewell is near the bottom of the page.
Happiness is taking things as they are.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

old duffer wrote:(ABC method is a technique that I have not yet mastered)
You need this link, the ABC Convert-A-Matic:
http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html

If you find on the net, or someone sends you, abc notation for a tune, you can paste it into the box at the above link, hit a button, and see the tune as sheet music. There's a further button to get a clean PDF file of the sheet music, and another button if you want to hear a midi version. The downside is that the print is pretty small.

ABC is really easy for jotting down simple tunes -- that's what it was designed for.
John Chambers's ABC Primer at
http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/d ... rimer.html
is a good introduction and can have you writing out simple tunes pretty quickly. I don't own any music notation software, so on the few occasions when I want to produce standard musical notation, I just write it out in abc and use the ABC Convert-A-Matic.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Denny

Post by Denny »

ABCs click the ABC tab
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

highland-piper wrote:Ashokan Farewell is invariably played in the key of D by fiddlers, as shown in the music above.

It obviously doesn't fit the whistle that way, because too much of the melody drops off the bottom, and the tune really doesn't work without those lovely arpeggios that walk up from A and G. Played up an octave, you loose important stuff off the top.

But if you transpose the tune to G it works. IIRC, there is one note that doesn't fit, but you can substitute around it satisfactorily.
Yes, to play it in G, where it works just fine you need one low C note. Matter of fact, that note in that tune was what gave me the idea to make my D+ whistle. As noted above, you can easily work around it in several ways.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
apack

Post by apack »

Sure, this works. There are ABC's for a whistle/flute version of this tune on thesession.org. Take a look at the discussion at http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/4997. The version posted by ceolachan works just fine for me. Turns out very well on a whistle.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

T:Ashokan Farewell
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:D
Ac|:d3 c BA|F4 EF|G3 F ED|B,2 D3 B,|A,2 D2 F2|A2 d2 f2|
|1 f3 g f2|e4 Ac :|2 A2 c2 e2|d4 FG ||A3 F D2|d4 A2|B3 c d2|
A F3 E2|F3 E D2|B,4 G,2|A,6|A4 FE|D2 F2 A2|=c6|
B3 c d2|A2 F3 D|A,2 D2 F2|A2 d2 F2|E2 D C2|D4 Ac :|

Can someone please explain to me how to read/play from this kind of notation?
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Since different keys were mentioned Jens Wollschläger's ABC-Transposer might be of interest.

X:1
T:Ashokan Farewell
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:G
df|:g3 f ed|B4 AB|c3 B AG|E2 G3 E|D2 G2 B2|d2 g2 b2|
|1 b3 c' b2|a4 df :|2 d2 f2 a2|g4 Bc ||d3 B G2|g4 d2|e3 f g2|
d B3 A2|B3 A G2|E4 C2|D6|d4 BA|G2 B2 d2|=f6|
e3 f g2|d2 B3 G|D2 G2 B2|d2 g2 B2|A2 G F2|G4 df :|
You need this link, the ABC Convert-A-Matic:
http://www.concertina.net/tunes_convert.html
If you use this be sure to add an X:1 above the title line or it will not display. See above example.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I first heard this tune on the Civil War soundtrack, and it sounded so Scottish to me that I assumed it was a traditional Scottish air.

It was full of the typical Scots fiddle air stuff, the "Scotch snaps" and turns etc.

However the sheet music above, and the way I've heard Irish fiddlers play it, removes all of that stuff and rounds it out into a waltzlike thing.

I play it on an A whistle and preserve the snaps and turns like I originally heard it.

To hear what I mean, follow the YouTube link above but scroll down to the videos that use the Civil War soundtrack version. The pair of pickup notes are slightly snapped, the third beat of the first bar is snapped, and there's a fat turn in bar two, and so it goes.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I play it on an A whistle too.

I saw an interview with Jay Ungar saying he liked how the Scots and Norn Arish played it, with the snap, and that the Southern Irish musicians didn't give it that extra edge.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

pancelticpiper wrote:
To hear what I mean, follow the YouTube link above but scroll down to the videos that use the Civil War soundtrack version. The pair of pickup notes are slightly snapped, the third beat of the first bar is snapped, and there's a fat turn in bar two, and so it goes.
Ah, thanks for pointing out that clip. I have squirrelled away the first two times through for future 'study'. I had read Jay Ungar's comment somewhere but found his own playing of it available on youtube a bit too fancy to for me to want to follow. Played as a waltz (or as syrupy as the orchestration at the end of that clip - but it does contrast well with the photos) I can see why many people don't like it. Do many traditional tunes have things like that almost two octave rise though ?