Can anyone recommend a good beginner Fiddle Book

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
Whistler from Oz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a whistle and fiddle player, just getting back into session music now. I play a variety of instruments and love sharing the sound with others. As many of you may experience, the music is a spiritual connection and sacred time for me. The hand of the giver is never empty as they say. Blessings to all. Aaron

Can anyone recommend a good beginner Fiddle Book

Post by Whistler from Oz »

I've just bought myself a starter level fiddle I'm after a book that can help me with the basic set-up and technique that can help me learn enough on the fiddle to get me to a slow session.

Any experiences with good Beginner to intermediate books would be great

Best wishes
Whistler from Oz
"Blessings to all"
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Re: Can anyone recommend a good beginner Fiddle Book

Post by fiddlerwill »

The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
Whistler from Oz
Tell us something.: I'm a whistle and fiddle player, just getting back into session music now. I play a variety of instruments and love sharing the sound with others. As many of you may experience, the music is a spiritual connection and sacred time for me. The hand of the giver is never empty as they say. Blessings to all. Aaron

Thanks for the suggestion - this book looks good :)
Whistler from Oz
"Blessings to all"
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

It is frequently said by better experts than I that fiddle is not an instrument that is easily self-taught.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Cranitch book is great. And Simon's right.

Rob
Whistler from Oz

s1m0n wrote:It is frequently said by better experts than I that fiddle is not an instrument that is easily self-taught.
Rob Sharer wrote:Cranitch book is great. And Simon's right.

Rob
I go to a session weekly where the teacher is going to help get me started and where I can watch other players (while I play my whistle). Other than that, I have a strong resolve to learn this instrument. I may need it! :o
Whistler from Oz
"Blessings to all"
kgallagher
Tell us something.: I haven't been on the site for a while. Now I have more time to enjoy the discussions. I have always learned a few things when I read through them Thank you!

Post by kgallagher »

Not Irish - but very good beginner/early intermediate books are Brian Wicklund's American Fiddle Method Vol 1 and 2.

They have play along CD's - and Vol 1 comes as a Book/CD/DVD combo that is helpful with bow and fiddle grip, etc.

Make sure your fiddle has been set up properly - you want every bit of help you can get when tackling this one!

Cheers!

KG
nancymae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by nancymae »

I am learning to play the fiddle as well, I got my father's fiddle refurbished and it sounds great! (at least when a professional plays it...I sound like a alley cat!) I purchased the Idiot's Guide for Fiddle Playing. I looked at the book at Barnes & Nobel and it has alot of nice background reading about fiddles and fiddle music. It also comes with a DVD/CD for you to watch how the author plays as well as listen to many of the tunes in the book. The best thing about this, is that the author is a former member of the group, Gaelic Storm..so she really knows how to play! It takes you from the very basics and into the various genres--Irish, Scottish, Bluegrass, Old time. I am using this book first and also have the other book mentioned in the above posts.

Good luck with your fiddling...are you past the alley cat sounding stage yet? I've only been at it for a week...so my dog begs to be let out when I get out the fiddle!

Please keep us posted!

Nancy
Whistler from Oz

nancymae wrote:I am learning to play the fiddle as well, I got my father's fiddle refurbished and it sounds great! (at least when a professional plays it...I sound like a alley cat!) I purchased the Idiot's Guide for Fiddle Playing. I looked at the book at Barnes & Nobel and it has alot of nice background reading about fiddles and fiddle music. It also comes with a DVD/CD for you to watch how the author plays as well as listen to many of the tunes in the book. The best thing about this, is that the author is a former member of the group, Gaelic Storm..so she really knows how to play! It takes you from the very basics and into the various genres--Irish, Scottish, Bluegrass, Old time. I am using this book first and also have the other book mentioned in the above posts.

Good luck with your fiddling...are you past the alley cat sounding stage yet? I've only been at it for a week...so my dog begs to be let out when I get out the fiddle!

Please keep us posted!

Nancy
I've found myself a starter book from the local second hand store. It is a violin starter book for high school students and is enough to get me started with a few basic songs and scales.

After 4 practice sessions so far, I'm loving the instrument - I scratch a bit, but not nearly as bad as I had expected. It is exciting, as now I can play a full scale and a couple of basic tunes, I feel like I am a fiddler already. (an actual fiddler may beg to differ, but it will be good to keep that feeling going)

Good luck with your journey on the fiddle too Nancy!
Whistler from Oz
"Blessings to all"