Night of the Perseids

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Denny
antispam: No

Night of the Perseids

Post by Denny »

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Night of the Perseids

Post by Nanohedron »

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Nice pic, and pretty impressive until you see that the dedicated photographer had to wait 6 hours to see those 12ish meteors. That's one every half hour, which in my book hardly qualifies as a shower. All in all, I'm not sorry I missed it...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

One of my most vivid summer camp memories was being woken in the middle of the night one august night in the seventies, loaded into canoes, and taken out into the middle of a dark Muskoka lake to watch the perseids for an hour or two. As I recall, we saw a reasonable number, which might well have been 12 in considerably less than six hours.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

As I remember 1970 was a good year :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

1999 was a good year! I camped on a field in Cornwall, travelled there to see the total sun eclipse. The eclipse was behind clouds, but still an amazing experience. But the cloudless moonless nights on the field with all those meteors flashing by were awesome.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

A few years ago, we had a pretty impressive Leonid shower. The funny thing is, my hubby gave up and went to bed about midnight, after seeing only a few meteors. All of a sudden, about 1 a.m., they started streaking across the sky like crazy...and I couldn't get either him or Johanna out of bed to see them!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Redwolf wrote:A few years ago, we had a pretty impressive Leonid shower. The funny thing is, my hubby gave up and went to bed about midnight, after seeing only a few meteors. All of a sudden, about 1 a.m., they started streaking across the sky like crazy...and I couldn't get either him or Johanna out of bed to see them!

Redwolf
I think I saw that one (Jan?) and it was the only meteor shower I've ever seen that really qualified as a shower. For a while, I was seeing a meteor every few seconds, in crystal clear winter skies. Well worth freezing my butt off for an hour or so.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

brewerpaul wrote:
Redwolf wrote:A few years ago, we had a pretty impressive Leonid shower. The funny thing is, my hubby gave up and went to bed about midnight, after seeing only a few meteors. All of a sudden, about 1 a.m., they started streaking across the sky like crazy...and I couldn't get either him or Johanna out of bed to see them!

Redwolf
I think I saw that one (Jan?) and it was the only meteor shower I've ever seen that really qualified as a shower. For a while, I was seeing a meteor every few seconds, in crystal clear winter skies. Well worth freezing my butt off for an hour or so.
November, I think. It was really impressive. Our deck faces north, and we're far enough from town that, on a clear night, we get pretty good seeing. The skies were indeed clear as crystal that night.

We've had so much fog this summer it hasn't even been worth trying to stay up for the Perseids. As soon as the sun even things about setting, that nasty gray blanket rolls in from the ocean.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!