Who to listen to?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Who to listen to?

Post by ImNotIrish »

I have a friend who is an accomplished pianist through many genres.... she has recently been exposed to Irish music and is smitten. My question: Who should she listen to with respect to accompanist for flute?
Thanks, Arbo.
Cathy Wilde

Re: Who to listen to?

Post by Cathy Wilde »

(this is just off the top of my head) I don't know how one finds recordings by these guys, but the things I've heard with Verena Cummin (John Skelton & IIRC, Niall Keegan) and Felix or Brendan Dolan (everyone) are all pretty perfect.

Brid Cranitch is also a fantastic accompanist; I think she plays with Sheila Garry on the Orange and Blue Book Irish Session Tunes recordings, which would be pretty much all your friend needs for a good long while. Donna Long does a good job too but I don't know if she's recorded anything.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cash the Piper

Post by Cash the Piper »

Felix Dolan, Geraldine Cotter, Mary Corcoran, and Charlie Lennon are all superb piano accompanists for traditional music. John Blake plays a bit of piano (as well as flute) on some of his recordings with Lamond Gillespie and Mick Leahy and does a great job of it, too.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

<smacking head about Geraldine Cotter and Charlie Lennon> DOH! Thanks, Cash. I'll track down the others at some point, too.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BrendanB »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Donna Long does a good job too but I don't know if she's recorded anything.
Donna's recordings with Brendan Mulvihill - the Morning Dew and the Steepelchase - are great. Donna is also on a few of the Cherish the Ladies albums.

B
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Cathy Wilde wrote: Donna Long does a good job too but I don't know if she's recorded anything.
Donna Long also has now released a solo effort though perhaps not a best example for flute accompaniment.

http://www.donnalongpiano.com/html/Cd_sales.html
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

My favorite accompanist is Dennis Cahill. He knows that it is not about him but rather about Martin Hayes.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tamadden

Post by Tamadden »

I'd recommend she listen to Felix Dolan on the Tribute to Michael Coleman cd. Over and over again.

Coming from a diverse piano background, the most likely mistake she might make would be to play too much. Felix takes the piano to the core of the rhythm. It is all about his left hand, you barely hear the right. His timing is rock solid and, in real life, in a session or on stage, he can really pull a bunch of musicians together. Other fine piano players will do much more work with their right hands, and fine stuff it is, but you can’t beat Felix.

The Tribute to Michael Coleman album also has the benefit of great melody players, and repertoire that your friend will encounter over and over in sessions.
flynnieous

Post by flynnieous »

Caoimhín Vallely is an talented pianist who plays both with his brother, concertina player Niall Vallely (on the CD Buille, Compass Records, 2007 )and his sister-in-law, singer Karan Casey (on the CD Ships in the Forest, Compass Records, 2008). Not only is he a good accompanist, but he's willing to take over a jig or reel on occasion.
Matt Flynn
Chicago, IL
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Berti66 »

when I was new to all this, I was talked into styles/ regions, and given a list with regions and names to listen to.
has been extremely helpful (thanks eld!) to me.
it was of course rather flute focussed but there were also fiddlers as examples.
Michel

Post by Michel »

Hi
I'd suggest to listen "OMOS DO JOE COOLEY", with Frankie Gavin Paul Brock and Charlie Lennon.
Great piano backing on it!
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
mmulqueen

Post by mmulqueen »

Josephine Keegan on James Kelly's album, Capel Street.
Charlie Lennon on Frankie Gavin's album, Frankie Goes to Town.
Seamus Quinn on his album with Gary Hastings, Slan Le Loch Eirne.

No better than that. Nuff said.