Deceiving salads to watch out for.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Deceiving salads to watch out for.

Post by pipersgrip »

Back when I had a little bit of money and was living alone, I used to eat out here and there. I used to eat salads thinking they were good for my weight, but I was wrong. I am just letting people know this incase they eat these salads too. There are a few on here that I used to eat. If I would have known back then, I would have gotten a cheeseburger.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis ... se-whopper
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Deceiving salads to watch out for.

Post by mutepointe »

And this is news to you? I don't like cheese in my salads so I always avoided these salads but when I saw one, I would try in my mind to ungrate the cheese in a salad to see what a block of cheese that would be and I would think wow. I wouldn't put that much cheese on a pizza.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

mutepointe wrote:...I would try in my mind to ungrate the cheese in a salad...
Of course this makes you an ingrate, you know.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

this is positively degrating.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Yes, expect no grateness out of Mute's salads.

.........I was just looking over what they were calling salads in TWC's link. Thing is, in our language "salad" ends up meaning just about any (usually) cold dish if you set it up right, so there's no reality to the idea that because it's called a salad it's necessarily low-cal OR healthy, whatever that means. A salad can be as simple as lettuces with lemon juice and pepper, to cole slaw (often with mayo and so the calories jump), to - it's a stretch - let's say an arrangement of chilled sliced skin-on roast goose, hardboiled egg, parmesan crisps, and croutons with a cranberry-walnut vinaigrette over leafy stuff and/or chilled cooked veggies for that desperate nod to healthy-looking plating.

Is the last a salad or not? Depends on who's writing the menu. It's convenient to call it one.

Then there's your Thai restaurant, where a "salad" can be a chilled noodle dish.

If you think of heating a lot of this stuff up, although it's the same thing, if it holds up to the thought experiment all of a sudden it starts looking very different. For example, meat and noodle dishes could probably be as fine hot or cold in a lot of cases. A lot of those dishes in the link looked to me like they'd be just as fine hot, too. Healthy? Depends. Calories? Probably. But if you imagine heating up just lettucey stuff, you know it will not work for happy eating. Or at least for such as we count as normal. So by that imaginary measure, calorie-wise you should be good to go with greens. Well, so long as you aren't adding on a creamy roquefort dressing or mountains of cheesy goodness.

Hot cole slaw, though...someone else try, and let me know.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
emmline

Post by emmline »

You want to watch out for salads? Watch out for THESE!

(term "salad" used advisedly, and in consideration of 1950s era norms.)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I will take a disco flashing light jello mold salad to my next covered dish. Praise be emm.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

emmline wrote:You want to watch out for salads? Watch out for THESE!

(term "salad" used advisedly, and in consideration of 1950s era norms.)
Those, plus the classic lime Jell-O mold "salad" with shredded carrot and riced cream cheese, are still down-home traditional old-school standard potluck funeral foods hereabouts. Find the right small town, and all you need is a church basement and coffee.

The LED thing is a bit new-fangled, though.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Basically, if you have specific dietary needs don't assume any broad category of dishes is all within what you are after.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Zackly. Something listed as a "bargain" may in fact actually be one, but that doesn't mean you'd better buy it 'cause that's what it is. Bargain or not, it could still cost you plenty more than you should sanely afford.
Denny

Post by Denny »

yer remindin' me of

"Free Horse"

buy the bridge & take yerself out to dinner with the savings
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I used to go vegetarian in the summers, eating a lot of salads and such. I decided not to do that for health and conscience reasons. I almost never eat out, and never did then. But my own salads had some cheese, and more importantly, I would only eat salads with fatty dressings, mostly blue cheese. Now I'm a good 75% carnivore for health reasons. Fajitas made with lean chicken, Indian dishes with chicken, etc., are all way better than cheese and salad dressing. No, I haven't completely given up cheese, salad, or pizza, but all in moderation.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Sometimes even fairly straightforward lettuce salads with vinaigrette have more calories than you might think. I used to order salad at Olive Garden, thinking it was a fairly low-calorie appetizer. Come to find out that a serving of OG's salad (with their regular house dressing, which is a simple vinaigrette) has more than 300 calories, whereas a serving of their minestrone soup has only 100 calories (and, to my mind, is a lot tastier and more filling). Three guesses as to which I order now!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Redwolf wrote:Sometimes even fairly straightforward lettuce salads with vinaigrette have more calories than you might think. I used to order salad at Olive Garden, thinking it was a fairly low-calorie appetizer. Come to find out that a serving of OG's salad (with their regular house dressing, which is a simple vinaigrette) has more than 300 calories, whereas a serving of their minestrone soup has only 100 calories (and, to my mind, is a lot tastier and more filling). Three guesses as to which I order now!

Redwolf
Exactly!! Had I known that a salad at Wendys was twice the calories/sodium/fat as a chesseburger, I would have definitely loaded up on those. :lol:
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

wellll......we all have brains and it would be expected that we know how to us these...aka we CAN think.
and we can ask questions if needed (is that a lowfat dressing? can I have the salad without? or on th side? can I have the xxxxx grilled instead?)

it was downright scary to read through those sites named above (did also view the links)
and no, netherlands is not much better than USA....I think.
good thing is that there still are salad bars in some places....