B flute....anyone got one?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

B flute....anyone got one?

Post by boyd »

Just a casual enquiry....

I've started playing with a couple of guys in B.
The banjo/mandolin guy tunes down, the uilleann pipes are in B and then there's a whistle in B

2 of us are flute players, so started to wonder if anyone out there has ever had a B flute?

(we have a Bflat Aebi flute....so the stretch won't be an issue)

Rogge used to make B flutes but stopped (I guess there wasnt much demand for them)

So who in the world would make one (or sell it second hand)?

Boyd

ps the Bodhran is pitched in B too :lol: :lol:

....nobody said this would be easy......

jemtheflute

Re: B flute....anyone got one?

Post by jemtheflute »

I have a quite nice anonymous bamboo flute I got 2nd hand off eBay a while back - sold as being Bb but turned out to be spot on concert pitch B. I've no idea of its provenance but it isn't a bansuri. It's well tuned but being cylindrical, quite a stretch - not comfortable to play for very long. If you could find one like it....
Doesn't Doug offer low B?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I have a bansuri in B (not for sale). Stretch would be an issue for most people (even with piper's grip). I can play it after some days of gettting used to it.
I belive many makers would make a B flute...?
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
planxtydt

Post by planxtydt »

Hammy makes a B flute.
Herb

Post by Herb »

So does Doug Tipple - very playable and a lot of fun. And talk about cost-effective...

Herb
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I have a Tipple 'B' I will sell. PM if interested. Same stretch issue as Jem mentioned.
Arbo
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

When I made my recent visit to John Gallagher he had a B (not Bb)flute it his shop. It was an 8 key in dogwood, was an absolute dream to play. If you search the forum for pictures of my dogwood Gallgher, that's more or less what it looks like. It had that nice bouncy sound, and a good honk on the lower end. The customer ordered it so they could play with a flat set of pipes.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

jemtheflute wrote:..... provenance .........
without looking up a dictionary I think this is a word meaning place of origin or, even, culture of origin. Bourgeoise wine fanatics use the word much.

I thought I would just point this out, jemtheflute not having defended my usage of nexus as an accessible word even though our current female Prime Minsiter (Labour and working class oriented) used the word in the National Leadership pre election debate televised all around Australia.

Speaking of Australia
TERRY MCGEE makes em I believe - B flutes that is.
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Low%20flute%20models.htm
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

talasiga wrote:
without looking up a dictionary I think this is a word meaning place of origin or, even, culture of origin. Bourgeoise wine fanatics use the word much.
It comes from art, and means origin but specifically the history of or rather from origin, as in 'X painted this, and sold it to Y - see bill of sale & contemporary letters - and Y bequeathed it to Z - see probate docs - who sold it at Sotheby's to me.' It's used to prove that the item is A) genuine and B) not stolen.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

talasiga wrote:

I thought I would just point this out, jemtheflute not having defended my usage of nexus as an accessible word even though our current female Prime Minsiter (Labour and working class oriented) used the word in the National Leadership pre election debate televised all around Australia.
Good grief. Tit for tat. A new level has been reached on the board.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Whilst I am deeply flattered that talasiga should desire or feel the need for my defence.....

Without consulting a dictionary, "provenance" of course comes from a combination of the Latin & Greek prefix pro- meaning: for, before, etc. and -venance from the Latin verb venire, to come. Its basic import is "origin" as in place/time of manufacture of an item (or even of a concept or meme), but it also usually has the extended meaning of "how it got here now" - its history.

The word is commonly used as jargon amongst folk dealing with artefacts (not just "works of art") particularly antique ones - thus art historians (as S1m0n mentioned) but also antique dealers, archaeologists, museum staff et al. I can quite imagine a modern rag-trade buyer or clothes designer discussing (with equally legitimate usage) the provenance of a cloth or a made-up suit etc. or a wine-buff (even a middle-class male one!) talking about the source of a vintage..... I don't think it is pseud-y or obfuscatory to use a technical term where it saves longer explanation and in this case "origin" alone would not have conveyed the same/intended meaning. The usage is generally familiar in GB at any rate to millions beyond the trade pros due to the popularity of such TV shows as The Antiques Roadshow, Cash in the Attic, etc.

It was in the fuller sense of ultimate origin plus how it eventually got to me that I used the word - and I don't think my gender or class background or political sympathies have anything to do with my usage, though education (in a broad sense, not just formal) probably has. I plead guilty to (technically correct and contextually appropriate) use of jargon (sure, always!), but doubt there is a legitimate parallel to be drawn with talasiga's nexus.

Had JC led an expedition to Oz rather than Britain, he doubtless would not have been prompted to comment "weeny, weedy, weaky"!
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

jemtheflute wrote: Had JC led an expedition to Oz rather than Britain, he doubtless would not have been prompted to comment "weedy, weaky, weany"!
Are you implying that we are weanies for taking time out of our busy days to read this? Or perhaps that I really should be working on my weedy garden instead? Jem, you need to get busy sanding that pile of piccolo lip plates.
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'll admit that I was wondering why I was reading this, however
I don't think that it was because I'm a weenie.

I am fairly sure that I am a Bozo

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Will you two please stop using humour to lighten the tone? Spoilsports.

:evil:
Denny

Post by Denny »

well, we're not supposed to say bitch slap are we?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.