(Reed makers) How Long Does it take?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

(Reed makers) How Long Does it take?

Post by Brazenkane »

How long does it take for a reed to settle (structrually relax) after having made it, and scraped it so that it'll play in tune (with all notes functioning as they should e.g. hard D etc)? Tom Aebi tells me that the lads in his neck of the woods will make a reed and get back to it months later (sometimes wait a season). Others think that 2 weeks is enough. I know yet another person who feels that the biggest settling comes after day 1, (after administering a near-final scrape) and then proportionatly less changes per day for a few days.

Thoughts?
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: (Reed makers) How Long Does it take?

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

When I picked up my Geoff Wooff B set, The Millennium Set, ten years ago on Jan 4th 2000, Geoff provided a couple of extra reeds for the chanter. One of which, #4, he said would be good in about 10 years. I remember trying it at the time but it was far too strong to be useful so I packed it away safely in its Erinmore tin happy to be playing the #1 reed which was great. About 9 years later the #1 reed wasn't so happy anymore so I thought I'd try the spares Geoff had given me. Sure enough, #4 was spot on and played like the original played when I picked the set up. Coincidence? I think not. Amazing? It is to me!

Patrick.
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

You have a Woof B set AND the Sisters of Mercy?
Hit list, definitely...
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Actually, makes sense to me. I'm just surprised you didn't loose it! That's the amazing bit! :party:
Steve Turner

Post by Steve Turner »

I've always found that reeds made because you actually need them there and then don't last as long as reeds made just for exercise, which are forgotten about for a period of months/years, and then rediscovered.

I tend to make reeds, scrape them to crowing point, and then chuck 'em in a box and forget about them. When I need a reed, I then use one, and do the final scrape and break it in gently.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Patrick, you just blew my mind... or I should say that Mr. Wooff has blown my mind.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

The Millennium Set, ten years ago on Jan 4th 2000
Wow - a set delivered almot a whole year early - must be a first

Note - for the thickies who do not understand the above think 'What have the Romans ever done for us' :D

John
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I dub thee Gregorian Elmek :thumbsup:

His Majesty.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Steve Turner wrote:I've always found that reeds made because you actually need them there and then don't last as long as reeds made just for exercise, which are forgotten about for a period of months/years, and then rediscovered.

I tend to make reeds, scrape them to crowing point, and then chuck 'em in a box and forget about them. When I need a reed, I then use one, and do the final scrape and break it in gently.
Obviously, you lack the obsessive / compulsive element that would disallow such frivolous behaviour!
:shock:
:)
Marcelo Muttis

Post by Marcelo Muttis »

It is usefull to me, to make a heat treatment (learnt from David Daye`s reedmaking page) at the stage of the blank made and ready to scrape. just put the reed into a cardboard tube (can be plastic) secure it with a little tape or something an point a hairdryer, turn it on and let the hot airstream pass through the tube heating the reed, the process takes 5 to ten minutes. Let it cool down and then scrape. The heat takes the stresses away... at least from the reed :lol: :P :wink:
Thanks God for the opposite thumb.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

One of the methods I was intrigued by (though I can't remember where it came from- I'm inclinded to say either David Daye or Pat Sky) was: after sanding the gouged side of the cane smooth, applying a bit of moisture to the cane by wetting it with your finger. According to the source I read this should cause the sanded-smooth surface to react to moisture as expected by getting a rougher texture. At this point you'd sand smooth again. The idea was that this extra step will help to avoid severe reactions to moisture. I assume it'd be best to put the slips aside for awhile after this and let them completely expell the added moisture before binding and finishing the reed?

Has anyone had experience with this? Does it work? Are there any negative side-effects?
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

I always do this (raising the grain) on the inside of the slip; dry it under a desk lamp, and resand. It appears to have saved me much kvetching about climate changes, as my reeds are pretty stable. I've also tried the David Daye hair dryer approach, and it seems to work.
Sometimes.
fancypiper

Post by fancypiper »

I use the grain raising technique and, if time permits, I like to soak the resulting slip in Neetsfoot oil for two weeks.

I dry the slip thoroughly and polish with 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, them the slip is wiped clean of oil. Then, I use the heat treatment when tying the slip to the staple.

This seems to limit the changes in tuning to changes in temperature and humidity.

I just found a reed for my Seth Galagher C chanter that I had started 2 years ago. It was about 35 cents sharp, so I spent a week doing the final scraping/tuning. This reed is now very responsive and will play up to top C#. I am trying to learn to play this reed now, but I am terribly out of practice (I have health problems with almost monthly spells of being bed ridden for 3-4 days).

I am starting another reed today that will hopefully play up to top D (and possibly top E).

I made a reed for my Mark Hillmann D chanter that played like a dream for 7 years. It would play top E very easily. IIRC, it took about 9 months from start to finish. I really miss that reed. The concert D Hillmann chanter is harder to make and tune than the flat pitched C Seth Gallagher chanter.

I have tried 3 reeds in the Gallagher chanter that would play in tune, all 3 had different sizes and shapes of both staple and head. I have only had a couple of reeds to play in tune in the Hillmann chanter. I made both and the first only lasted a year.
stew
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

A week for one of my reeds finished, playing in one of my own chanters. I don't feck about. :wink:
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I love this thread. I can now say I'm not procrastinating by letting all those lovely gouged/wetted/sanded/ wetted/dried/sanded/wetted slips sit untied; I'm letting them "cure."

:party:

OK, in all seriousness I have been pondering all these things. It's nice to know these slips are adapting to their new forms as I do so. Thanks, y'all!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.