Why am I having such a hard time with my Burke???

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ketida
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Why am I having such a hard time with my Burke???

Post by ketida »

I know it sounds ridiculously simple, but...could it be that you can't reach the upper notes because your whistle isn't warmed up? I have a Burke brass high D that I love, but it's very hard (nearly impossible) to reach the highest notes when its still cold.
yellowhistler

Post by yellowhistler »

Hi Annie.

I'm thinking you maybe need to give it more time. You've only been playing the Burke for a coupple of days and the whistle you've been playing on and off for decades has a very easy upper register. Perhaps it's only a matter of getting used to how this particular whistle handles? Just a thought. But like many here have suggested, getting someone else to try it out will most likely prove if there's something wrong with your Burke whistle.

Best wishes.
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

Annie,

Besides letting an experienced player find out if there is anything wrong with your whislte, try those tips :

- work the angle so that you hold the whistle a bit closer to the vertical (say, somewhere between 45 and 30°),
- take your right pinkie (assuming you are right handed) off the sixth hole (or any other hole) while playing in the upper register,
- definitely give yourself some time to get used to the whistle.

Those are my two cents but they worked for me.

Cheers,

Pascal.
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Well, I have to disagree with some of the posts. Every Burke I've tried has exhibited the tendency to have the A and B be much harder to get to than other notes in the second octave. B harder than A, C above that even harder. The extent which these notes are harder is a bit variable, some of the Burkes were worse than others, but they all exhibited it to some extent. I've noticed this on other whistles as well, and I think it has to do with bore size, of all things.

If you're coming from playing a Generation type whistle, you'll most likely find this characteristic challenging to adjust to.
Pipe Bender
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Pipe Bender »

I just happened to be listening to a few videos of people playing Burke whistles on UTube when I noticed this in the comments of one of them:

"The Burke is buttery goodness. It does have a bit of chiff if I'm sloppy, and there's a rather jarring leap in needed air pressure between A and B in the upper octave, but I've gotten used to it."

So NicoMoreno's assessment may be quite accurate.
guguyni

Post by guguyni »

I'm back from town, where my Burke got a "test-drive" by a more experienced whistler. He was impressed with the Burke--like I am--but he, too, had to work at those high notes, especially the high C# and D above it, and I also noticed that the high A and B weren't always there for him either. He commented that he really had to push to get to those highest notes--he, too, thought it was harder than he expected it to be (and he's played vastly more whistles than I have).

I will play around with it some more to see if it's just me needing time to get used to the much higher air demands, but so much of what I'd read about the Burkes talked about how the air requirements were fairly low. I'll be in Milwaukee for Irish Fest in a couple weeks, and I'm sure I'll be able to find someone there who has played a Burke before that can tell me if mine is typical or not. In the meantime, I'll probably contact Michael and pick his brain a bit. I love everything else about this whistle--it really is a beautiful instrument.

And Chuck offered to let me take a selection of his whistles with me to Milwaukee if I want, so I won't be without a whistle I can actually play in public.
Annie
from Minnesota

Tá m'árthach foluaineach lán d'eascanna.
guguyni

Post by guguyni »

NicoMoreno wrote:Well, I have to disagree with some of the posts. Every Burke I've tried has exhibited the tendency to have the A and B be much harder to get to than other notes in the second octave. B harder than A, C above that even harder. The extent which these notes are harder is a bit variable, some of the Burkes were worse than others, but they all exhibited it to some extent. I've noticed this on other whistles as well, and I think it has to do with bore size, of all things.

If you're coming from playing a Generation type whistle, you'll most likely find this characteristic challenging to adjust to.
This is really interesting! Since this is the only one I've ever had a chance to play, I had nothing to judge by. How many have you gotten to play? If the narrow bore whistles aren't so tricky, I might just have to look into one, but I'd sure like to have a chance to play one first now that I've found this Session whistle so tricky...
Pipe Bender wrote: "The Burke is buttery goodness. It does have a bit of chiff if I'm sloppy, and there's a rather jarring leap in needed air pressure between A and B in the upper octave, but I've gotten used to it." So NicoMoreno's assessment may be quite accurate.
So, maybe it IS just me after all--I guess I must be really spoiled by my trusty old rolled tin whistle with the wooden fipple.

Annie
from Minnesota, but too far from the Twin Cities to take advantage of the whistling community there...
Annie
from Minnesota

Tá m'árthach foluaineach lán d'eascanna.
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

I've owned and played many Burkes over the years and still play one of Mike's new DBSBTs as well as an older composite C, and Burkes are among the easiest to play I've experienced. And Burkes are well known for their consistency. I agree with Nick that they do take a little extra push on the high end but nothing drastic. But that doesn't rule out the possibility you may have gotten one out of a thousand that might have an issue that Mike needs to take a look at. And what you're experiencing may be the reason the seller got rid of it. You've already installed new o-rings and had another player give it a go, so about the only things you can do is clean the windway as Doc suggested and look closely at the blade edge to make sure it's nice and clean with no nicks or obvious imperfections. If the blade edge is clean and the windway is clear and still gives you problems, by all means send it back to Mike. If you get it back and find you still have problems with the high A and B, then you know it's you! :D
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Even on the best whistles (which certainly includes Burkes) those two notes can be tricky until you get used to the instrument. They often need a tiny bit on tonguing to get them to speak cleanly, rather than a huge huff of air which makes the note sound shrill and/or harsh.
Those notes are also susceptible to problems due to moisture clogging. The old soap solution in the windway and warming the whistle before playing will help these.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Don't agree with you there Paul.

The hallmark of a good whistle is an easy transition into the high notes. If the whistle doesn't achieve that, it's just not such a good whistle and the maker should spend some time back at the old drawing board.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I own or have owned Burkes in high D, C, A, G, F, and Low D and it never seemed to me that an inordinate amount of blowing was needed for high A and high B.

Are those high notes as sweet on my Burke high D session bore as on my really good old Generation and my really really good c1980 Feadog? No, but no whistle I've ever played is as sweet as that Feadog. I accept that bit of extra wind required on the Burke session bore as the price I pay for a bigger overall sound.

I play Low D's mostly, and I will say that the Burke Low D I played for a few years had a very slighty harsh High B. The best way I can describe it is that the High B was "shout-y", both somewhat louder and a tiny bit rougher in timbre than the other high notes. It took a bit of extra breath and care to keep it sounding under control. I figured it was the price I had to pay for the Burke's incredibly huge booming Bottom D, the best of any Low D I've played. All that being said, I wouldn't characterise that Burke Low D's high B as being "difficult" or "nearly impossible" or anything; the difference in tone between High B and the rest of the upper register was rather subtle. On Low D's anyway there seems to be an inescapable compromise between power in the lowest notes and sweetness in the highest note usual in Irish trad, high B.

On this particular Burke owned by the Original Poster, I wonder if the blade has been bent or some such damage.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
The hallmark of a good whistle is an easy transition into the high notes.
There are quite a few different performance characteristics I'm looking for, and unfortunately no whistle can excel at all of them. Each whistle design represents a bundle of compromises.

(The caveat is that I primarily play Low Ds and that's where my experience mostly is.)

Burkes are amazingly smooth "over the break", the "buttery" quality many speak of.

But every Low D I've played that went right up to High B with ease and sweetness had wimpy low notes. Every Low D I've played that has big fat strong low notes has a High B that requires a bit of a "push".
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Pipe Bender
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Pipe Bender »

It would appear that the best way to finally resolve and possibly remedy the problem is to send it to Micheal Burke.
Denny

Post by Denny »

now there's an idea
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The caveat is that I primarily play Low Ds and that's where my experience mostly is
Low Ds on the other hand don't figure at all in my world and neither were they subject of this thread. Makes you think doesn't it?
My brain hurts