Seen Inception? Comments?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Seen Inception? Comments?

Post by brewerpaul »

Has anyone here seen the new movie Inception?
We saw it yesterday and I thought it was pretty interesting and thought provoking if you're willing to suspend disbelief just a tad.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Seen Inception? Comments?

Post by BillChin »

I just saw it. It is a good, entertaining movie, with a few good twists. To my mind, and my metaphysical belief system, once the movie's premise is accepted, the story is straight forward enough. The same basic storyline could have been done with a minimum of action sequences and special effects.

Some other people have a desire to see the movie again. I don't. I would recommend the movie to others if they are curious.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'll see it again, but only after it comes out on DVD. I have a feeling I missed some details the first time through
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
JayDoc

Post by JayDoc »

I liked it a lot, and, perhaps surprisingly, my 19 year old daughter did too (she's not a "sci fi" fan generally, hence the surprise). Nolan is an incredibly smart filmmaker, to me. You can enjoy his films on a thrill-ride level, or you can consider very deep philosophical issues and dilemmas that he depicts (I'm a big "Dark Knight" fan). I found "Inception" difficult to follow at first, and difficult to follow on an intellectual/rational level through most of the film. Maybe that's why they had so much trouble describing the film in ads and promo. But by the end of the movie, I felt like I "understood" what was going on, in a more emotional/nonrational/experiential way. My daughter said the same thing. As an intellectual type, that was very interesting to me. It's hard to let go of the rational analytical approach to literature (including film literarature), but in this instance, you had to, and if you do, you "get" it!
Best,
Jaydoc
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

Here is a metaphysical anecdote about the living the dream:

Someone is describing a dream. In the dream a monster is after the dreamer. The person hides. The monster finds him. The dreamer runs, the monster is faster. The dreamer approaches the edge of a cliff and turns to face the monster, and asks "now what?" The monster replies, "You tell me, it's your dream."

I also thought about the Star Trek Next Generation character, Barkley. Barkley spent most of his time on the holodeck (a virtual reality computer generated world) because the real world was so difficult for him. The twist Inception uses is equivalent to Barkley building a full holodeck within his holodeck simulation and stepping in to use it, and then on downward as many levels as he can go.

As for the movie, I do fear that there will be some copycats that commit suicide the way they do in the movie, or that start to believe they are in a dream and that death is the way to wake up. It may seem silly to logical people, but Hollywood has demonstrated such a far and wide influence that I see this as almost certain to happen, just a matter of the numbers.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Huh. Apparently, the new meme is editing
some video from other movies over the
audio from the Inception trailer.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic- ... .html#more
emmline

Post by emmline »

That reminds me of THIS.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

emmline wrote:That reminds me of THIS.
Awesome! +1000 Internets for you.
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Meh.

I was thoroughly bored the last hour and a half of the movie. In a word, forgettable. At least for me. I'm sure many thought it was the best thing ever. :)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I hear there were a lot of "clues" in the
soundtrack itself. Though, I haven't
seen it yet.

One example of the idea that I didn't
understand:
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2010/07/ince ... ad_the.php