Dude, You're Getting a Whistle... BUSTED!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Mon Feb 10, 8:11 PM ET

NEW YORK [AP] Dude, yer gettin' busted! The actor who gained fame and a cult following as the slacker "Steven" in commercials for Dell computers was arrested buying a small bag of marijuana, police said.

Benjamin Curtis, a 22-year-old New York University drama student, was arraigned Monday on a misdemeanor drug possession charge. The charge assumes a suspect is not carrying more than a "use amount" — enough to roll several marijuana cigarettes.

Police said he was arrested Sunday night on the Lower East Side after officers on a drug detail spotted him buying a small bag of marijuana from Omar Mendez, 19. Mendez faces drug sale and possession charges.

Curtis' portrayal of a surfer type who proclaims, "Dude, yer gettin' a Dell!" drove up computer sales and spawned T-shirts, caps, and backpacks, along with Web sites and online fan clubs.

At the arraignment, Criminal Court Judge Ellen Coin advised Curtis that his case will be dismissed, and his record expunged, if he avoids arrest during the next year.

Asked if he understood, Curtis said, "Yes, ma'am."

Outside court, Curtis' lawyer, James Moschella, said: "We are confident that at the appropriate time, the charges will be dismissed."

A spokesman for Texas-based Dell said no decision has been made on Curtis' future promoting the company.

"We are following the situation and really trying to understand what happened here," Venancio Figueroa said.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Walden on 2003-02-11 00:21 ]</font>
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Yeah. Does take a bit of effort to understand that one, doesn't it?
Ridseard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ridseard »

Well, I guess we can't use Steven anymore. Walden would be better anyhow, but the line would have to be translated to Waldenese: "Sir, you are destined to receive an end blown fipple flute."
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

A spokesman for Texas-based Dell said .... "We are following the situation and really trying to understand what happened here."
Hoo-boy, reality check needed. It's these titans of intellect in corporate management who are the reason why the stock market today is... well, what it is.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

On 2003-02-11 00:31, scottielvr wrote:
A spokesman for Texas-based Dell said .... "We are following the situation and really trying to understand what happened here."
Hoo-boy, reality check needed. It's these titans of intellect in corporate management who are the reason why the stock market today is... well, what it is.
ROTFLMAO!!!!! I had decided that my next computer was going to be a Dell, but now I ain't so sure.
bufo

Post by bufo »

I hate that commercial. They play all of his comercial ad nausium. Maybe this will be the excuse they need to finally rid us of his annoying voice. But woops they already have with 4 even more annoying interns.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

ROTFLMAO!!!!! I had decided that my next computer was going to be a Dell, but now I ain't so sure.
I have 3 Dells ( office, home, and laptop) and love them all. Only thing is, every time I use one of them, my eyes get all red, and I get the uncontrollable urge to send out for a pizza....
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

A friend of mine who works for Dell technical support sent me a link to that article yesterday... "Dude, you're getting busted" is the joke of the day around there.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

On 2003-02-11 06:30, brewerpaul wrote:
I have 3 Dells ( office, home, and laptop) and love them all. Only thing is, every time I use one of them, my eyes get all red, and I get the uncontrollable urge to send out for a pizza....
ROTFLMOA!!!

Dells aren't bad systems by any means. We are pretty much a Dell shop at work now (except for servers).

On the other hand,

All the computer chains keep their prices down by cutting corners in the systems they build where they can. For most users, this doesn't impact anything they'd ever want to do with their PC.

For high-end gamers and customizers, though:

If you want a really cutting-edge, high-end PC, with every component as new and good as it gets, you pretty much have to either build it yourself or pay someone like me a premium to build it for you.

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Wizzer

Post by Wizzer »

Walden got a parking ticket:
This is not news or worthy of comment:
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

The guy should have pleaded not guilty and claimed he was just doing "research" for his "character".
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
revwhit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by revwhit »

What do you expect? He is a Episcopal priest's kid. :smile:

Whit+

"Let he who is not stoned, cast the first sin."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: revwhit on 2003-02-11 10:05 ]</font>
Duckrasta

Post by Duckrasta »

I thought marijuana was a Gateway drug...
Bala

Post by Bala »

On 2003-02-11 10:57, Duckrasta wrote:
Very funny!
Bala
-\/-
\/\/
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

On 2003-02-11 10:57, Duckrasta wrote:
<P>I have a research paper due in half an hour. So I just wanted to say 'thank you' for making me cough a mouthful of chocolate milk onto the keyboard, resulting in near electrocution.

:grin:

<P>Oh dear. That was too funny.

<P>~Firefly