Half holing question...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LimuHead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

I was wondering how other whistle players out there 'half hole'. For instance, you can cover the bottom half or top half of the hole. You could also cover half of the hole vertically.

I've found all 3 approaches useful, but would like to know what other players are doing.

Thanks!

http://mp3.com/KaEhuKai (KEK Hawaiian Band)
http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband (Me & my toys)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LimuHead on 2003-02-11 18:48 ]</font>
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I never really think about it as I'm doing it....I can think of some tunes (Dusty Windowsill, Autumn Sky aka Tom's Air) that I half hole vertically, opening the right side (from my perspective). And one lunasa one that I uncover the bottom of the hole.

I use a weird rolling motion that makes people look at me funny, actually. Ask Clarinetwhistler, lol.
JohnPalmer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JohnPalmer »

I think that it depends on the whistle you're playing, as to whether or not it will let you half-hole certain notes. How I half-hole? It depends on the whistle and on the note. You have to figure it out for yourself. I'm sure that your fingers are not shaped like mine. JP

Edit:
I'm sorry. I just noticed that this is your'e first post, and I never even said hello and welcome to the board. Well... Hello! Welcome to the board!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JohnPalmer on 2003-02-10 23:16 ]</font>
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Yes, welcome! Sorry about that, :smile:

John - what whistles do you have that you can't half hole? I've had a bit of trouble on the meg sometiems due to the conical bore - smaller holes - but I think I was still able to do it, except screwy ones like the D note (there is an Eb in Crested Hens).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2003-02-10 23:24 ]</font>
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

I'm a bad boy, and I effectively roll the whole whistle under my finger.. HA! try and stop me. (actually, people ofen try and stop me play, let alone half-hole).
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I roll the right-hand fingers away from my face, and the left-hand fingers toward my face.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

For 2nd octave G#, I use xxo xxo. For F nat and 1st octave G#, I make a valiant effort to get it by covering the top half of the hole (which usually sounds like crap). C nat is easier to half-hole, but I usually cross-finger that one anyhow.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ridseard on 2003-02-10 23:47 ]</font>
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I half hole vertically. I curl the involved finger towards my palm, sort of like I was wiping something off my finger pad using the edge of the hole. This is basically the same motion I use to bend a note upwards, so it comes naturally.
BTW-- doesn't half-hole sound like a sorta mild insult? A person who is not a complete a**hole....
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Welcome! :smile:

I also half-hole with the rolling motion described above by several folks.

My one difficulty with half-holing is when you must hit the note squarely when coming down from the next higher note. I can never do it. If I'm playing a whistle that must be half-holed, I'll redo the melody to avoid this situation when possible.

On a different note :smile:

I used to believe effectively half-holding a flute was an impossibility. My Hamilton flute has taught me I was mistaken.

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I only regularly half-hole the G#, which I do by curling my finger slightly, and leaving the side away from my hand half open vertically.

For Cnat I've always cross-fingered, and haven't yet met a tune where this isn't the best way for me.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

Martin, if we meet up I can show you two tunes that are horrid to cross finger. :grin: A Lunasa one from the first album, and Dusty Windowsill.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Oh now I dunno B -

I can cross-finger all the tunes from all three albums just fine! :wink: But you can cran - so I'm still licked! LOL

the other OTHER white meat...B~
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Depends on the note. Usually, if I'm descending into a note, I'll just lay (or tap, if it's a short note) the (straightened) finger against the side of the tone hole. I may do the same thing, if I'm ascending (i.e., rock the finger back to partially uncover the hole), or occasionally I'll "pinch" the hole as you do the octave hole on a recorder (depends on the whistle). I always cover the side of the hole...in fact, it never occurred to me to do it any other way until I bought the Tin Whistle Pocketbook and saw the top half of the hole covered in their whistle tab. Now I'm set in my ways :smile:

Redwolf
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2003-02-11 10:16, avanutria wrote:
Martin, if we meet up I can show you two tunes that are horrid to cross finger. :grin: A Lunasa one from the first album, and Dusty Windowsill.
Well, I did try to cover myself by saying I hadn't met the tune yet! I have all 3 Lusagna albums, which tune is it? Not that I can play all their tunes, but I have a couple learnt, if not at their speed!
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Like Beth, I just roll the whistle a little bit!